Author Topic: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have?  (Read 6469 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 05:14:54 PM » Author: Cole D.
I have a program on my computer that simulates the older Weather Channel forecast and I can set it up to show the conditions in different cities and it shows the radar also.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 05:48:57 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I have a program on my computer that simulates the older Weather Channel forecast and I can set it up to show the conditions in different cities and it shows the radar also.

Nice! Is it like a simulator?

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 05:52:20 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yes, it's the one at taiganet.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 07:20:06 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Awesome.  :D

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 09:20:40 PM » Author: CEB1993
I have always been fascinated by weather and how climates throughout the world work. 

My favorite kinds of weather to watch and experience:

1. Severe thunderstorms (from inside my house)

2. Snow  ;D

3. Cold fronts that replace humid and warm air with cool and dry air within 24 hours

I admit that I am afraid of hail after my car was "totaled" last year  :o  As long as there is no hail, I love to sit on my back porch and watch a big thunderstorm roll in from over the Blue Ridge Mountains on the SC and NC border.  A nice summer afternoon thunderstorm is so relaxing with low rumbling thunder and relief from the high temperatures. I enjoy the soothing sound of steady rain at night as it helps me relax and fall asleep.  Being from South Carolina, I consider snow a rare and exciting treat.  As long as I don't have to drive anywhere, I really enjoy a beautiful, fluffy snow, building a fire, and sipping some hot cocoa. 

I love to study climates around the world and figure out which places have similar climates to South Carolina.  I've learned that that southeast China and most of Japan have the same climate as South Carolina with hot and humid summers and cool, damp winters. 

I find it fascinating how many places in Europe (United Kingdom, Ireland, France, etc.) that are much further north than the USA have fairly moderate temperatures.  The jet streams carry warm air north and prevent extreme heat and cold in west Europe.  It's interesting how Scotland and Ireland could be covered in snow all the time if the jet streams worked differently.  Central and and east Europe (Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary etc.) are more likely to experience extreme heat and cold due to being further inland with temperatures as low as -5 in the winter and 95 in the summer.  Tornadoes are also somewhat common in Germany and Poland due to the flat geography and rapid changes in temperature, like in the Midwestern USA.  Ironically, the further south you go in Germany, the cooler the climate becomes due to the mountains and distance from the ocean in the south part of the country.

It's mind blowing to think about the seasons in the southern hemisphere being reversed.  I can't imagine celebrating Christmas during the hottest part of summer  ;D

I use the AccuWeather app for my weather forecasts  :)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 10:11:55 PM » Author: suzukir122
For me, I'm definitely a hail fan... though I am absolutely not a fan of the dented cars and smashed out house
and car windows. No sir... but I am a fan of hail storms since they're associated with the most
violent supercell storms. Especially the storms that contain violent tornadoes.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 06:33:45 PM » Author: Cole D.
There was a bad storm coming in when I was driving home late this afternoon. It got really windy and lots of lightning and the sky got black. I turned on the radio on AM to see if I could hear the lightning interference would happen and it did make static every time the lightning struck. And there was a tornado warning broadcast as well.

Fortunately I got home just before the rain started, it literally started as soon as I walked in the door. lol

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 07:15:03 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
We are due a thunderstorm today and also a chance of flooding in certain areas. Right now I can see the storm front approaching.
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 07:22:27 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
A cold front is probably the case. The warm air lifts up to the sky creating thunderstorm clouds which brings rain and if severe, it will be worse. Behind the front is colder air, which also drops the humidity down due to drier air behind it, which warm humid air in front.

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 07:17:37 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
A cold front is probably the case. The warm air lifts up to the sky creating thunderstorm clouds which brings rain and if severe, it will be worse. Behind the front is colder air, which also drops the humidity down due to drier air behind it, which warm humid air in front.

We had a bit of thunder, and then loads of rain afterwards. Today is just cloudy.

As for weather stations I only have a basic unit that has a sensor outside that records humidity and temperature and broadcasts it to the main display unit inside that shows inside and outside temperature and humidity.
boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 03:47:27 PM » Author: boiler1011
I have an Acu-Rite Pro 5-in-1 weather station with the HD display, lightning detection, and Smart Hub. I do report to Wunderground but for some reason it puts my location in a city several miles away. I am not sure how this happened, as it is coordinate based, but oh well. I am very interested to see what the Atlas Elite will bring, and have held off purchasing the new hub because I hope to upgrade once it becomes available. I am very interested in aviation weather as well as severe thunderstorms and tornadoes.

Here are a couple pics of my station in action, as well as a picture of a tornado I witnessed back in 2013.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 12:40:21 AM » Author: suzukir122
@boiler1011, now THAT is something I wish I could do. I'm waiting for the day where I finally witness a tornado
face to face, or even the strongest supercell thunderstorm without a tornado involved. (not likely)
That would be amazing. Costly, but amazing. lol

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #27 on: March 24, 2018, 08:43:37 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Nice Acurite HD weather station, does it have lightning like mine does, @boiler1011? Although, mine doesn't have that have that HD display, just a backlit LCD display with color background.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:46:26 AM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #28 on: March 24, 2018, 08:49:43 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We're not enthusiasts as such, we just like to know what it's going to do and plan accordingly, we have an Oregon Scientific BAR 208 with a couple of remote sensors.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Anyone here a weather enthusiast? Also what weather station do you have? « Reply #29 on: March 24, 2018, 09:03:47 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Over here we certainly don't get the extremes of weather that other countries at the same latitude get, so overall I think we shouldn't complain about it.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies