Author Topic: BLUCK!!!!  (Read 7507 times)
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
BLUCK!!!! « on: March 06, 2018, 02:52:25 PM » Author: DieselNut
What an AWFUL molestation of a beautiful vintage light!!  And the seller dares to say the ballasts like this type light had were "unreliable".  Over half of mine have their original 1940s ballasts.  Lets see his LED junk last that long!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Art-Deco-Fluorescent-Drop-Light-Fixture-Converted-to-LED-Pool-Table-Office-/292452306295
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 11:35:16 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 03:31:41 PM » Author: Lumex120
This is... this is just... f-ed up. :o

Unofficial LG Discord

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 03:46:30 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
This is... this is just... f-ed up. :o

A teacher of mine always said when people asked him about his flip phone, "Old not Obsolete", in this case I think those words can be flipped up a bit to say "Old not Unreliable".

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 08:01:45 PM » Author: 589
Now this may be a very unpopular opinion, but I'm ok with this. Why? At least their not throwing out a piece of history or modding it beyond recognition. If LED must increase, I think this idea should spread as well because if you really wanted to it could be converted back. I do not like the millennial trash talk about ballasts though, that was completely unnecessary.

:lps:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 07:10:04 AM » Author: Rommie
A teacher of mine always said when people asked him about his flip phone, "Old not Obsolete", in this case I think those words can be flipped up a bit to say "Old not Unreliable".
Or like me, old and unreliable  :P ;)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 10:55:26 PM » Author: suzukir122
Originally I would suggest to buy the product and let the seller know you will be fixing his mistake... but...
$499 dollars?

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

rom1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 06:53:52 PM » Author: rom1
it's a sacrilege  :-\ :-\

Never sell the bear's skin before one has killed the beast

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 10:48:01 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Only thing I see wrong with that item/listing is the outrageous ripoff price they put on it.

Fact is you could always un-upgrade it from LED back to fluorescent  very easily :)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 11:51:18 PM » Author: Lumex120
Only thing I see wrong with that item/listing is the outrageous ripoff price they put on it.

Fact is you could always un-upgrade it from LED back to fluorescent  very easily :)
You mean upgrade it back to fluorescent? I don't see how an F40T12 conversion is an un-upgrade.  ;D

Unofficial LG Discord

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 12:26:22 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Lumex120
You mean upgrade it back to fluorescent? I don't see how an F40T12 conversion is an un-upgrade.  ;D
Yep .. I just meant undo the LED 'upgrade' .LOL.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

veryhighonoutput

View Posts
View Gallery

T12

Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 10:08:38 PM » Author: veryhighonoutput
I saw this too a few months past. It won't sell for that crazy price. Where do they come up with that number in the first place? I'd only buy tops 100 bucks just for the shell keep the leds. Then you have to get the proper starter sockets and a brick ballast wich as we know hard to find. Then wire up in a few hours then it still only worth 200- 300 tops with original gear. I don't know but all my preheats work perfect and reliable if a bulb goes out replace the starter and it's fine if the led goes out in the trash.

T12/ t17 there's a reason they made heavy magnetic ballasts

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Dreaded LED conversion of vintage halfpiper fixture « Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 07:10:11 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Who wants to see an old vintage light fixture having its original lamps and ballasts trashed for an LED conversion? Seems to be very irritating for us.

Here is the listing for this vintage fixture:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292452306295

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 11:31:39 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
How on earth does he have the audacity to say that it's original and converted.?? ??? :poof:
It's either one or the other.!!!  >:(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 05:04:44 PM » Author: Binarix128
Fun fact: He still have his piece of junk listed after these 2 years.  :lol: :lol:

The fixture was restored with poorly made Chinese parts, just looks at the tube sockets.  :lol:  Now it is nothing more special than a retro fixture you can buy in the home center for no more than 40 bucks. Also, those LED tubes he installed must be very crappy, with awful 6500k light and won't pass the month of life. Also, The whole fixture including "restoring" more like a clean up wouldn't cost him more than 50 bucks. Good that his listing lasted 2 years, and he deserves 2 years more.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: BLUCK!!!! « Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 05:16:39 PM » Author: HPS_250
Unless someone who doesn’t know anything about lighting decides to waste a huge amount of money on this, I’d say it might be listed for 20 more years!  :lol:

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies