Author Topic: Streetlights from "The Shape of Water" Movie  (Read 2433 times)
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Streetlights from "The Shape of Water" Movie « on: March 08, 2018, 08:28:41 PM » Author: rjluna2
Here is an anachronism in this scene:

http://imcdb.org/movie_5580390-The-Shape-of-Water.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shape_of_Water

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlights from "The Shape of Water" Movie « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 05:52:01 AM » Author: Max
Let's see ... HPS streetlights in 1962? That was the year when GE announced the technology, and the first Lucalox lamps rolled out of production three years later.
I think we're the only one who spot this kind of inconsistency.

This scene would have been more accurate for 1962:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:33:00 AM by Max. » Logged
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Streetlights from "The Shape of Water" Movie « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 12:23:15 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@rjluna2:
I doubt any member of the general public would even notice those out-of-place streetlights .lol.
Interesting that all others up on the elevated highway(if that's what it is) look blue-ish?

Haven't seen the movie myself (won't until it makes it to out on blu-ray (and for that matter also til the point when it's been out for a bit & goes on sale))

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Streetlights from "The Shape of Water" Movie « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 12:21:50 PM » Author: rjluna2
Let's see ... HPS streetlights in 1962? That was the year when GE announced the technology, and the first Lucalox lamps rolled out of production three years later.

Well done, Max :)

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlights from "The Shape of Water" Movie « Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 12:24:54 PM » Author: Max
Thanks Robert :). This was a quick and dirty rendition done with Photoshop... I just wanted to get a feeling of what the differences would be on the scene's atmosphere if the streetlights were fitted with clear mercs instead.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlights from "The Shape of Water" Movie « Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 07:53:17 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
There was a TV add that had a film in Chicago based on the 20s and there were Crimefighters in the background!

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Streetlights from "The Shape of Water" Movie « Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 01:43:05 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

It might be possible that these lanterns had low pressure sodium lamps in them since low pressure sodium lighting was around decades before high pressure sodium was.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Streetlights from "The Shape of Water" Movie « Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 02:26:50 PM » Author: joseph_125
Nice photoshop colour correction.

It looks like the scene was filmed in in this vicinity

In 1962 the Burlington Bay Skyway in the background would only have one span (original span opened in 1958, it was twinned in the 1980s) and the original lighting on the Skyway was fluorescent mounted on poles running down the centre.

On Eastport Drive the lighting would have been completely different. The tapered elliptical arms and poles only started to see use in Ontario starting in the late 1960s. In 1962 the light poles would have been either incandescent gumballs on S shaped arms (similar to what was used in Toronto) or remote ballasted mercury vapour clamshells on either S shaped arms or double guy poles. The lighting configuration is a guess based on what was used in other places in Ontario at the time.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies