Author Topic: favorite lamp type  (Read 8524 times)
form109
Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 07:17:34 PM » Author: form109
i guess hps isint so bad ::)
GE M-400A1

View Posts
View Gallery

My Pontiac 6000 STE

Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 08:21:47 PM » Author: GE M-400A1
You just have to get used to it before you like it!

My Cars:

1986 Pontiac 6000 STE

1996 Chrysler Concorde LXi

1998 Chrysler Cirrus LXi

Lampenfreak

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 11:35:55 AM » Author: Lampenfreak
Hello to all,

mercury vapour in any form for all :D. Second place is LPS. I love the real pink colour during warmin-up 8).

Michael
alpha_9
Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 05:30:08 PM » Author: alpha_9
It has to be LPS, but than living in the UK, I grew up with that kind of lighting, which of course is now starting to disapear. Which is unfortunate in my opinion.   

Mercury Vapour (coloured or coated) would also come a close second. I would prefer to see that in extensive use as opposed to Metal Halide lamps.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:34:39 PM by alpha_9 » Logged
Nineaclock

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 07:18:00 PM » Author: Nineaclock
i like all lamps ;D except hps and lps.
ahhh, :( you dont like sodium lamps?? there my favorite :)
form109
Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 07:27:03 PM » Author: form109
i guess hps isint so bad ::)

@nineaclock i like it somewhat. ;D
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 08:22:30 AM » Author: rjluna2
My favorite bulbs are Christmas C7 with Candelabra Edison Screw (E12) with all kinds of colors.  I have few boxes full of C7's.
I also like Philips Halogena clear BT15 bulbs too.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 04:17:58 AM » Author: tmcdllr
For roadways/highways High Pressure Sodium, the higher lumens would be better for safer driving and nobody cares about the color on a freeway. For city areas such as downtown, Metal Halide, the higher lumens and crisp white color is perfect for this. For residential/rural areas coated or clear Mercury Vapor, the extreme long life and soothing color makes it ideal for these areas and really enhances the greens of landscapes. For industrial, Low Pressure Sodium where very poor color rendering is not a factor

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 03:29:43 PM » Author: Xytrell
But someone posted a study (I believe in either the MV ban thread or the MH ban thread) that found braking distances and reaction times were far less with white light.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 04:37:34 PM » Author: Medved
No surprise, as with the ability to distinguish colors, the color tone difference between an obstacle and surroundings might attract driver's attention without the need of the eye focusing at it.
There is other aspect: Road sign design (at least the Vienna convention style, used outside USA) count for color vision and their readability is poor under yellow only light - my experience from travels to Belgium, where LPS are still very popular on highways, i thing the LPS is the worst light source except straight sections without any crossings - where are usually no signs...

No more selfballasted c***

RichD

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 08:02:35 PM » Author: RichD
Florescent. My first, and probably only True Lighting Love. I can remember being about 10 and going on a family vacation to Canada when I saw my first florescent streetlight...

MV comes in a close second, though...
Parrot

View Posts
View Gallery
YouTube: Parrot175

Parrot175 parrot175
Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 11:52:50 AM » Author: Parrot
1 mercury vapor
2 incandescent
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 03:16:26 PM » Author: joseph_125
I like coated ceramic metal halide for most urban/suburban areas(regular MH for higher wattages), HPS for areas prone to blowing snow, fog or other high accident risk areas such as curves and crosswalks. I like to see coated MV for overhead highway sign floodlights since they are both low maintenance and attenuate the green colour of our highway signs. I like MV for most rural areas too because of low maintenance.
Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #28 on: June 02, 2023, 11:29:31 PM » Author: Robotjulep
I don't really know about this one. I really like coated Mercury Vapor  :a_mv: in floodlights because they have less glare but I like HPS :a_son-t: in cobraheads  :hpscobrahd: especially 400w and 1kw ones because they are extremely bright and the light is relaxing. But I don't like LED streetlights!  :eoled:  :ledcobra: It has invaded most of my area in its ugly form. Most of the HPS or MV cobraheads in the wild are gone and the  400w HPS Holophane Mongooses are next to go. Instead of wasting money on replacing all HID luminaires with LED crap from China, the government should try and spend that money on improving their power grids so efficiency isn't a problem. Even the LED streetlights are still ran on coal power plants and aren't really much more efficient than HPS. But just replacing cobraheads that were made in USA and decorated streets with entirely new fixtures that are eyesores is stupid and wasteful. They could at least retrofit them with coated LED filament lamps (if there is such a thing.) It is just boring driving down a street filled with spoons mounted on poles. I am not saying I hate LED entirely, The a19 LED lamps are useful but LED shouldn't be mandated in cities for streetlighting.

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: favorite lamp type « Reply #29 on: June 03, 2023, 10:52:21 AM » Author: RRK
In the order of preference 

3000K CMH
3000K LED (With good CRI and mandatory glare control! Not the eye-piercing bare boards with LEDs!)

Other sorts of MH
Good old color corrected mercury. Soothing light in a park at night. Sorry, imprinted on this as a child)
Fluorescent and induction (rare today)

Sorry, I hate orange HPS light... Also deeply hate any streetlight with more than 4000K color temp.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies