Author Topic: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics  (Read 16381 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « on: March 25, 2018, 09:51:06 PM » Author: CEB1993
Over the years, The Weather Channel has always been a familiar and reliable source of weather forecasts for many people.  I have always loved its music from the Local on the 8's.  This kind of relaxing "elevator music" is one of my favorite genres.  Hearing the familiar songs from the YouTube clips below takes me back to my childhood in the 2000's  :)  The weather icons and graphics have changed several times over the years.  My favorite graphics were from 1999 through 2006 (I was age 7 through 13 at this time).  Anyone else a weather enthusiast who has enjoyed the Weather Channel's music and graphics over the years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXGJ6qhkzBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXltGn_6_Q0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgqA3rc6nzI&list=RDQMbrL6JuEKe0c&index=9

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 10:49:50 PM » Author: Cole D.
Definitely! We didn't have the Weather Channel at home until I was much older, but I remember it from visiting both of my grandparent's homes.
When we got the Weather Channel at home, it had the 2008 graphics style which we had until 2014 or so when it got the current icons and graphics. I liked the older graphics better. I wish they still played some of the older songs as well, maybe at times they do. Honestly I don't watch the Weather Channel much anymore since they took off the WeatherScan channel.

I actually have a simulator that simulates the 90s version of the local forecasts and I have some of these songs uploaded for it. The simulator takes awhile to set up, but I love it.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 02:31:52 AM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah man... Ryan Farish made a really good song that I can't find... but dude, that song was my JAM!
I would always try to get my little brother to listen to the song with me when I switched over to
the weather channel and heard that song, but the song was always over by the time I got to that channel.
There were several other gem songs that played, but I still can't find any of them.
I do remember a never-ending channel that showed weather 24/7(channel 99) that played all of those gem songs...
I don't think those gem songs played during local on the 8's though. But Ryan Farish's music did play on
local on the 8's.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 03:06:36 PM » Author: CEB1993
Here's one of my all time favorite Weather Channel instrumentals:  Brave New World, by Russ Freeman and the Rippingtons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDyD7PGL7-Y

I would love it when the Weather Channel would play Christmas music during December.  Check out 32:32 through 33:55 and 42:45 through 44:40 in the Local on the 8's Across the Years link for some nice, familiar Christmas songs  :)

35:15 through 37:12 is an intense sounding song played in the 2005 clip from the Local on the 8's Across the Years video.  I remember hearing it and seeing the 2005 hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Wilma on the radar  :o  I associate a lot of this music with so many clear memories from my childhood.

2006 had a few other cool instrumentals that I enjoyed, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8cGsI1rv_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsOUO__jlxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9vAxEirtTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwJnY43Qk4s

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:25:48 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 04:04:12 PM » Author: suzukir122
There are a couple familiar ones in there. Hopefully I can find the gem ones I liked a lot as a kid.
Because I'm having a lot of trouble finding any of them lol

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 09:19:28 PM » Author: CEB1993
My favorite generation of weather icons was from 1999 through 2006.  Everything else after that seems too simplistic and 2D (like the latest iPhone graphics).  These are colorful and pleasantly familiar from my childhood  :)

I have witnessed thundersnow, although I've never seen the awesome and super rare thundersnow icon on TV  8)

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 04:54:22 AM » Author: suzukir122
I remember that storm icon lol... see, with the weather channel back then, whenever there
was a chance of thunderstorms, they would have that one lightning strike. Whenever there
was a chances of severe thunderstorms, they would have two lightning strikes from that
storm cloud instead of just one. They don't do that anymore with the new graphics.

Interests:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 11:25:50 AM » Author: CEB1993
I remember that storm icon lol... see, with the weather channel back then, whenever there
was a chance of thunderstorms, they would have that one lightning strike. Whenever there
was a chances of severe thunderstorms, they would have two lightning strikes from that
storm cloud instead of just one. They don't do that anymore with the new graphics.

That's one of several reasons l like the old icons the best.  I could tell in the weather forecast if we would have thunderstorms or severe thunderstorms with the two lightning strikes.  I would see the two lightning strikes and then expect some exciting storms!  Hopefully, I'll come across some animated Weather Channel icons to see the rain, snow, lightning, etc. in motion. 

With the old icons, I could tell the difference between light and heavy precipitation based on the amount of raindrops or snow flakes.  Nowadays, it seems like light snow and blizzard conditions have the same icon, and isolated thunderstorms and severe thunderstorms have the same icon.

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 12:43:49 PM » Author: suzukir122
Yep... everything just isn't the same. And when severe weather happens, it doesn't *seem* as serious
or important anymore as what it use to. Hmm... maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully I'm wrong. lol
Well we will see during spring when the weather finally starts to get dangerous

Interests:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 09:35:33 PM » Author: CEB1993
I looked up Ryan Farish on Spotify and it seems that all of his albums are there.  The Weather Channel used a lot of his music over the years.  This kind of music is a neat combination of sentimental and soothing.  Ryan Farish's music is full of emotion and drama and is just really cool to listen to.  It would go great as background music in a metal halide or SOX lamp warm up  8)

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 09:58:40 PM » Author: suzukir122
That is true, but I can't find the one song that I would listen to and always miss by the
time my brother entered the living room.
The beat to the song was great and the music was amazing. Can't find it. lol

Interests:

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 12:41:49 AM » Author: tolivac
I liked the weather forecasts on TV so many years ago-the grease pen maps the forecaster drew on and the paper icons he would stick to the board.The computer stuff is too sterile and BORING!!!In those days the weatherman was the "clown" on the news programs.
boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 08:18:44 PM » Author: boiler1011
The two that stick out most from my childhood are:

Fair Weather by Trammell Starks. Back in the early 90's when they had the dedicated "WeatherScan" channel that only displayed the local radar, this song played on a loop.

https://youtu.be/8HOSM-ap6BI

Young At Heart by Ryan Farish. When I started college in the mid 00's I'd usually turn on TWC in the morning when I was getting ready for class and this song was frequently featured on LOT8's.

https://youtu.be/OaQtkpKRI2E

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 08:36:35 PM » Author: suzukir122
^^^^ YO!! Boiler1011 got one of my main songs!!! Now I finally know the title of it!
Fair Weather by Trammell Starks... THAT was my JAM! This was actually one of the main gem songs I listened
to as a kid from WeatherScan...
And added to that, WeatherScan Local... THAT was the channel I was referring to, but didn't know
the name of!
And then also, Boiler1011  found a good Ryan Farish song I also use to listen to from Local On the 8's.
I don't know the title of the Ryan Farish song I liked as a kid, but the song Boiler found is definitely
a song I remember.

Interests:

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 09:05:28 PM » Author: Cole D.
I like some of the Patrick OHearn music, which was mostly from the late 80s and early 90s but still played some in the late 2000s.

Another I liked was when they played the ending from Layla, which I don't seem to hear anymore. It seems now they play the same few new songs over and over, but I think they do play jazz sometimes. I miss the songs from WeatherScan, since they took that channel off, only get the regular Weather Channel with Local on the 8s and they don't even show it at night anymore. :(

Here are some of my weather videos I made that have some of the songs from it.

https://youtu.be/WY9Lc_mXxVE

https://youtu.be/5otT_MKmBhI

https://youtu.be/wASYJZTCnvU

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:07:52 PM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies