Author Topic: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics  (Read 16379 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #45 on: July 22, 2018, 10:46:49 AM » Author: Cole D.
I've found I like a lot of the Trammell Sparks music, this song reminds me of the jazz that used to play on it.

As far as there being no alarm songs during severe weather, how do they get away with that? My understanding is the FCC requires there to be an alarm sound whenever the NWS  scroll shows at the bottom, and that goes for any channel.

Quote from Wikipedia:
"In 2001, the FCC granted The Weather Channel a waiver from complying with its forthcoming requirement for aural tones to accompany broadcast of "scrolled" or "crawled" emergency information, which otherwise went into effect in 2002, for the Weather Star Jr. and Weather Star III.[2][3] The Weather Star III was capable of generating an aural tone only during the first display of a weather warning, not every time it was shown, as required by the regulations.[3] The waiver, which expired on December 31, 2004, was granted with the understanding that TWC would "replace the Star IIIs in 2003/2004".[3] TWC released an "Audio Weather Alert Enhancement" for the Weather Star Jr. and Weather Star III in June 2004, so that they would emit "a series of audible beeps" every time a tornado warning, flash flood warning or severe thunderstorm warning issued by the National Weather Service was transmitted for insertion over the TWC feed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WeatherStar#Weather_Star_I

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #46 on: July 25, 2018, 10:09:04 PM » Author: CEB1993
I've found I like a lot of the Trammell Sparks music, this song reminds me of the jazz that used to play on it.

As far as there being no alarm songs during severe weather, how do they get away with that? My understanding is the FCC requires there to be an alarm sound whenever the NWS  scroll shows at the bottom, and that goes for any channel.

Quote from Wikipedia:
"In 2001, the FCC granted The Weather Channel a waiver from complying with its forthcoming requirement for aural tones to accompany broadcast of "scrolled" or "crawled" emergency information, which otherwise went into effect in 2002, for the Weather Star Jr. and Weather Star III.[2][3] The Weather Star III was capable of generating an aural tone only during the first display of a weather warning, not every time it was shown, as required by the regulations.[3] The waiver, which expired on December 31, 2004, was granted with the understanding that TWC would "replace the Star IIIs in 2003/2004".[3] TWC released an "Audio Weather Alert Enhancement" for the Weather Star Jr. and Weather Star III in June 2004, so that they would emit "a series of audible beeps" every time a tornado warning, flash flood warning or severe thunderstorm warning issued by the National Weather Service was transmitted for insertion over the TWC feed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WeatherStar#Weather_Star_I

That's really interesting how it's "required" for scrolling severe weather alerts to have an audible sound!  Nowadays, you must open your weather app on your phone and swipe through to find an indirectly posted severe weather alert, when it might be too late.  I'm not going to know if there's a severe thunderstorm warning unless I take the time to navigate the app on my phone, which is way more cumbersome than just listening for the alert sound and watching for the red scroll bar at the bottom of the TV screen, like in the old days.  The Weather Channel app is glitchy and slow and the radar doesn't work well from my experience.  Some other weather apps are fine, but they have their fair share of annoying glitches, too.  I'm just accustomed to getting my detailed local weather from the TV  ;)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #47 on: August 13, 2018, 03:15:40 PM » Author: CEB1993
Here's a link for the original Christmas music for TWC used circa 2003-2007.  Really great, instantly recognizable tunes that take me back  :)  This nice music combined with the great graphics was the golden age of TWC to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-pcIJr778&list=PLRhqRxWvgzmVLN-JMlfGuTb0xHcZGuxeV

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #48 on: August 17, 2018, 04:04:46 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We have signed up to get flood alerts for our area, and get a phone call if one is issued.  :)
The only slightly worrying thing is that it is down hill from here to the North Sea and we are in a first floor flat, (second floor to the folks across the pond) so if we get flooded here everyone is in trouble.  :o

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #49 on: August 17, 2018, 04:52:31 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Sadly UK weather is that BORING, we don`t have a weather channel :P, we use to have a computerised version in the 80s called Ceefax!!, (remember that fellow UKers)? ;D, however all I need to brighten my day, is to see our local weather girl Alex Hamilton`s beaming smile first thing in the morning..... ::)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #50 on: August 17, 2018, 06:01:47 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Sadly UK weather is that BORING, we don`t have a weather channel :P, we use to have a computerised version in the 80s called Ceefax!!, (remember that fellow UKers)? ;D, however all I need to brighten my day, is to see our local weather girl Alex Hamilton`s beaming smile first thing in the morning..... ::)

Stop swearing.!!  :o

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #51 on: August 18, 2018, 10:31:33 PM » Author: CEB1993
I had no idea there was not a Weather Channel equivalent in the UK or other parts of Europe.  I guess the US is a much larger place with many different climate zones.  About 90% of the world's tornadoes occur in North America, so I can see how a specialty weather network is important on our side of the pond. 

Stop the lamp bans!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #52 on: August 19, 2018, 05:02:04 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah, even our worst storms here do little damage to stuff, so there's not really a need for one, but I can imagine it's invaluable for you guys during tornado season, an the huge summer storms you have there ;)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #53 on: August 19, 2018, 05:49:07 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Yeah, even our worst storms here do little damage to stuff, so there's not really a need for one, but I can imagine it's invaluable for you guys during tornado season, an the huge summer storms you have there ;)
Some of the flooding that we have had here in recent years has been dreadful, but nothing like as bad as they're having over in India just now.  :o

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #54 on: December 14, 2018, 10:38:53 PM » Author: Cole D.
I might be making some more Weather Channel videos with Christmas music on my YouTube channel, like last year.  :)

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #55 on: May 15, 2019, 05:08:46 PM » Author: CEB1993
I might be making some more Weather Channel videos with Christmas music on my YouTube channel, like last year.  :)

Just checked out your Christmas 2018 videos, they're awesome  :)  Linus and Lucy and Christmas Canon are two of my favorite songs, always getting me in the spirit!  Carol of the Bells makes me think of the Weather Channel music played as a hurricane approaches, really cool.  Well done with scroll bar too, "Merry Christmas from Cole D..."

Like I've said before, I like these older formats of the the Local on the 8's because of the graphics and real time precipitation radar.  I really like how this era gives the long term 30-day temperature trends.  That would be really interesting to see today, especially since I'm expecting a heat wave when I go home from cool, rainy New York to hot, sunny South Carolina next week  8)  I've been watching the weather and I'm happy to be going back to the warm climate I'm most familiar with.

Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #56 on: May 17, 2019, 11:07:09 PM » Author: Cole D.
Just checked out your Christmas 2018 videos, they're awesome  :)  Linus and Lucy and Christmas Canon are two of my favorite songs, always getting me in the spirit!  Carol of the Bells makes me think of the Weather Channel music played as a hurricane approaches, really cool.  Well done with scroll bar too, "Merry Christmas from Cole D..."

Like I've said before, I like these older formats of the the Local on the 8's because of the graphics and real time precipitation radar.  I really like how this era gives the long term 30-day temperature trends.  That would be really interesting to see today, especially since I'm expecting a heat wave when I go home from cool, rainy New York to hot, sunny South Carolina next week  8)  I've been watching the weather and I'm happy to be going back to the warm climate I'm most familiar with.

Thanks! I had a lot of fun making these Christmas themed ones. I don't know that many people watched them, but glad you enjoyed it.

I too like the older Weather Channel graphics.

Speaking of Christmas music, I wish they would still play the classic Christmas themed music during the season, or at least the week of it. Why don't they do that anymore? I also miss the classic songs like Layla, jazz, etc they used to play up until a few years ago. Now they use like the same two or three songs in every forecast, and it's boring!

Plus, the Local on The 8s isn't really on the 8s these days. You never really know if they're going to show it or not, a lot of times they don't show it. I know they have the little forecast at the bottom of the screen all the time, but it's not the same thing, to me as having the real one with radar, etc every 10 minutes.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #57 on: June 28, 2019, 12:55:22 PM » Author: CEB1993
Today, I FINALLY found one of my all time favorite songs from the Local on the 8's!  Layla by Eric Clapton, played in July 2005 on TWC.  This song rocks and has an awesome instrumental guitar solo  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJDn-RH9Ilc&list=PL11A7AF59A6A668CC&index=8

Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #58 on: July 06, 2019, 10:26:05 AM » Author: Cole D.
Today, I FINALLY found one of my all time favorite songs from the Local on the 8's!  Layla by Eric Clapton, played in July 2005 on TWC.  This song rocks and has an awesome instrumental guitar solo  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJDn-RH9Ilc&list=PL11A7AF59A6A668CC&index=8

Oh yes, that was one of my favorite Weather Channel song too! Plus I used to hear it up until maybe 4-5 years ago on there, but I haven't heard it anymore unfortunately. I haven't gotten that one yet for my channel, but I want to add it to the lineup.

Here is the video I seen of it, and the 4000 in this video is degraded due to age, hence the graphics and colors are messed up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFEVfsw1Gk
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:29:05 AM by Cole D. » Logged

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: The Weather Channel, Nostalgia About Music and Graphics « Reply #59 on: July 07, 2019, 08:31:35 AM » Author: CEB1993
Oh yes, that was one of my favorite Weather Channel song too! Plus I used to hear it up until maybe 4-5 years ago on there, but I haven't heard it anymore unfortunately. I haven't gotten that one yet for my channel, but I want to add it to the lineup.

Here is the video I seen of it, and the 4000 in this video is degraded due to age, hence the graphics and colors are messed up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFEVfsw1Gk

Nice video Cole!  Those graphics and format look like late 80’s or early 90’s. Lots of specific information on your region unlike TWC today. Of course, the awesome song in the background too  :)

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies