Author Topic: Lighting at school  (Read 1750 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Lighting at school « on: April 01, 2018, 07:05:35 PM » Author: Cole D.
The first elementary school I went to I don't remember the lights but I think the parking lot had neat ones.

The second elementary school which was 1-5 grade, was built in 1991. It had round recessed lights outside and all with white covers and were HPS. There were also HPS wall packs that look like the Cooper ones. The back door at the kitchen had an explosion/vapor proof type fixture instead of recessed and it was incandescent. The parking lot had HPS cobras on double arms, and at each front gate there were AEL 165 HPS ballast in arm fixtures. Later they extended the parent pick up area and built canopies, and they had enclosed fluorescent strip fixtures. All of these lights are still there, except the ballast in arms were replaced with NEMA heads and some are now LED cobras.

My middle school had mostly square plastic fixtures that may been fluorescent under the walkways and some were mounted on walls. Some covered walkways had square canopy type HPS fixtures. A few Cooper type small HPS wall packs also. The pole lights were mostly decorative fixtures with clear prism diffusers. That school was built in 1980 but parts were from the 1940s like a couple classroom wings and the gym. These lights are all still there.

My high school was built in 1971. The original parts had wall packs that I think were MV, gray and maybe Halophane. The covered walkways outside all had covered fluorescent strip lighting. The cafeteria and vocational buildings were built in 1989 and had black wall sconces that had a bowl shaped shade with a metal guard over it, and I think were HPS. But some were replaced by Cooper HPS wall packs. Some covered walkways near the cafeteria had brown cylinder sconces. The newest wings were 2000 and had Cooper HPS packs, as did a later 2007 wing.  One parking lot had a big square glass post top light which is MV I think. The others had HPS cobras. These are all still there.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Lighting at school « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 08:14:07 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
My Preschool was T12 and Mercury Vapor and High pressure sodium.

My elementary school was lit up with T12 lighting in classrooms hallways and offices, a combination of Mercury Vapor and Incandescent in the gym, Acombination of HPS and MV outside roughly half and half.

My middleschool was lit with T12 lighting in the hallways, classrooms and offices, A mixture of HPS and MH in the gym (HPS lighting the Bleachers and MH lighting the main floor)  and a mixture of MH, MV and HPS on the parkinglots, MH on the main drive, HPS in wallpacks on the side of the building, MV lighting the parkinglots.

My highschool uses a mixture of T8, T12 and incandescent lighting in classrooms and offices, T5 lighting in the gym, a mixture of T8, T12, PL, Incandescent and MH lighting in the hallways, a mixture of HPS wallpacks, Halogen, MV and MH lighting outside, and MV parkinglot lights... Honestly I would not be suprised if there is an LPS fixture hiding somewhere... the Highschool is very diverse lighting wise....

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Lighting at school « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 10:50:22 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Homebrewlamps, you had incandescent lighting in some of your classrooms? That is the #1 kind of lighting
that I did not see any of my schools, except for the restrooms, which all eventually got replaced with fluorescent.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Lighting at school « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 01:28:33 AM » Author: dor123
At all of the elementary schools I was, the lighting was 40W T12 (Including sport halls). At Leo-Beack middle school, they had preheat/switchstart fixtures with either glow starters or Eltam Perfekt-Start R1 thermal snap starter ballasts. They saw massive converting of 40W T12 lamps to 36W T8 lamps. The sport hall had 400W high bay fixtures of either Holophane or Gaash. At Leo-Beack high school, they had various lightsources including 400W probe and pulse start MH highbays, 36W T8 fluorescents, 160W SBMV lamps and CFLs. I remember seeing a classroom full of 160W SBMV. When the lighting there was on during the summer, you could feel that the lamps heats the classroom and causes you to sweat (This is at least what my brother said me, when he was in that classroom).

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Lighting at school « Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 01:55:57 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
@Homebrewlamps, you had incandescent lighting in some of your classrooms? That is the #1 kind of lighting
that I did not see any of my schools, except for the restrooms, which all eventually got replaced with fluorescent.

Yup, they are in the range of 150W to 500W.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting at school « Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 03:41:07 PM » Author: Ash
In my schools (built in the 80's..90's) there were few Incandescents :

- In all of them, 24V Incandescents in the emergency lighting systems in the air raid shelters

- In the elementary, PAR38 120W lamps in the big planter (80's style building with big indoors plantation) + R80 60W lamps in some spotlights in the corridors

- In high school, some of the corridor lighting : Recessed cans GLS 100W, Surface mount squares with louver GLS 2x60W, "meltlights" GLS 60W. Some of the toilet stalls had a GLS meltlight too, the others had a single 40W tube spanning the ceiling through 3 stalls in a row
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting at school « Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 08:13:41 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Thankfully it was all F40T12s and T12 U bends.  A few 34 watt T12s at my high school. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting at school « Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 08:30:28 PM » Author: sol
Elementary school : Louvre 2x40W T12 in rows in the classrooms and incandescent recessed squares in the hallways. Outside, MV and incandescent (above the doors). The building has been changed to T8 in the louvres (they kept them) and spirals in the recessed squares and outside. The wall packs are a mix of MV and MH. I don't recall they used 34W lamps, however. They might have used them after I was no longer there. In the early 2000's, they changed from cool white to daylight, but one whole classroom at a time. They didn't mix colour temperatures.

Middle/high school (same building) : single F40T12 rows in the hallways (standard strips above a continuous row of translucent prismatic tiles). The classrooms had 2x40WT12 louvre rows, the old part of the building had bigger, thicker fixtures and the newer part had smaller ones. The ones in the new part of the building had a very, very prominent V channel that extended well below the louvres. Not really my favourite but nonetheless louvres. They had 40W T12 lamps but started using 34 watters in my final years there, all cool white. Shortly after I graduated, they went back to 40W but in daylight instead of cool white. They changed them out by spot replacement (not even the pair) so you had a mixture of colours.

In my first years in the middle/high school building, there were about 7 or 8 cool green lamps in the building, scattered here and there randomly. By the end of ninth grade, they all had reached EOL and were replaced.

My middle/high school had mostly HPF ballasts, but the occasional NPF. Those would rectify for days, weeks, until someone changed the lamps.

The new gymnasium had 400W M59 metal halide.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting at school « Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 01:35:22 PM » Author: Ash
In Fluorescents, all school buildings had pretty much the same lighing setup in the classrooms :

==== ====
|
|
 ==== ====
|
|
 ==== ====

Where | are single tube 4ft strips with side reflector lighting the blackboard (were replaced to whiteboards during my time at school), and ==== are plain double tube 4ft strips

All of them were SwitchStart. In the singles the starter was sticking out on the side of the luminaire, in the twins the starters were sometimes both on the side and sometimes one starter on each end between the tubes

In corridors (of the buildings built in the 2nd half of the 80s and later), in the elementary there were recessed channels in the ceiling with 1 tube 4ft lanterns across the corridor, in the high school PL lanterns

In shelters, in the elementary there were icepacks and in the high school mostly proper weather packs

Tubes were originally 40W /D in the elementary, 36W /D in parts and 36W /CW in parts of the middle, and 40W /CW in the older parts of high school. At the time when i studied in each, the elementary and middle were still on their original to the building tubes mostly, the older parts of high school were allready full of tubes from different types and years, including a few originals, few replacement 40W CW's from the 80's, and a mix of 36 and 40W D's from the 90's and early 00's

Elementary was 2 buildings, built in 1994 and 1995

High school was built in patches between 1980..1992, with the middle school being the final part of the building

Elementary had several Mercury baloons in the indoors big area (where the planter is) and a few more outside, and SON wallpacks on outside walls

High school had SON floodlights on some of the outside walls, floodlights on the sports field lamped with a mix of SON and MH (probably originally all MH, relamped with SONs as the MH's EOLd), MH highbays in the gym (those were relamped with the proper MH lamps)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Lighting at school « Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 10:51:16 PM » Author: Lumex120
My school was built around 2005-06 so it isn't too interesting. However, there is no LED lighting, it's all fluorescent and HID. Here's what they have:
-400w prismatic metal halide highbays in the gym
-hallways have louvered 3-lamp F32T8 troffers
-classrooms have diffused/prismatic "3-way" f32t8 troffers
Exterior lights:
Under the canopy are 4 175w metal halide / mercury vapor fixtures, all have /DX mercs in them
Parking lot has 2 light poles, each with 4 250w metal halide shoeboxes
The rest of the exterior lights are 175w and 250w metal halide FCO wallpacks.
Oh, and there's a greenhouse too with a huge variety of HPS and MH grow lights. Most are 600w HPS and metal halide, but there are a few 400w and 1000w too.

Unofficial LG Discord

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Lighting at school « Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 04:07:38 PM » Author: Cole D.
Update, I was driving by my old elementary school and at least one of the AE 165 ballast arm fixtures is still there. But some of the AE 115 cobras on the double arms in the parking lot have been changed to some kind of LED cobras.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies