Author Topic: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)?  (Read 2144 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « on: April 11, 2018, 08:05:09 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
I found a few LPS fixtures on ebay, but can you use LPS fixtures? Since now or probably are going to be rare now days, since LEDs are taking over.  :'(

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 08:18:54 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
If you somehow stockpile the lamps like eBay or whatever then you can still use SOX fixtures. The lamps are about to be discontinued by Philips in 2019. As I write this there is still a decent amount of SOX street lights local to me in Australia.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 04:27:13 PM » Author: Ash
I wonder why some people here are so intense about stockpiling SOX lamps yet can spam 9 pages of NO with NO reasoning when discussing buying the production equipment
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:38:33 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I wonder why some people here are so intense about stockpiling SOX lamps yet can spam 9 pages of NO with NO reasoning when discussing buying the production equipment

Ash, this has been done to death and everybody is fed up airing their opinions without you appreciating that. This topic has NOTHING to do with what you just said. I'm not even going to bother replying anymore. ::)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 08:42:44 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Ash, this has been done to death and everybody is fed up airing their opinions without you appreciating that. This topic has NOTHING to do with what you just said. I'm not even going to bother replying anymore. ::)

If hes done it before he could potentially do it again... the question remains is it really worth the effort... I think it'd have to be scaled down a bit.. So as to only produce enough to provide for municipalities who still use SOX.. I'm not really sure how... but if there is a way to make production cheaper... and bring down cost per bulb... perhaps municipalites will keep the second most efficient lightsource around..

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 02:55:37 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Here is why it won't work.  People don't want them and you cannot convince them otherwise.  The day of the LPS lamp is over.  It really is that simple, folks.  Let's move on. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 03:19:31 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Here is why it won't work.  People don't want them and you cannot convince them otherwise.  The day of the LPS lamp is over.  It really is that simple, folks.  Let's move on.  

it still costs money to replace entire installations of lights, and some municipalities do not have those funds. It is not "That simple".

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 04:12:03 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
it still costs money to replace entire installations of lights, and some municipalities do not have those funds. It is not "That simple".
I'm sure dealers will gladly offer various financing possibilities so there is no need to have own capital for that. At least that's what they do here.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 11:57:42 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Most of the municipalities that can not afford to replace them, probably never had any LPS in the first place, or if they did, in very very limited numbers.  LPS was not very common.  It was beautiful, but it was not very common.  Most stuck to MV and HPS. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 02:14:20 AM » Author: Ash
For the municipal type of applications, SON is generally better and currently the most viable path of upgrade is changing the luminaire to SON luminaire instead of relamping SOX. I am thinking of some new applications :

- Private area lighting with the lowest energy possible, no attraction of bugs, etc

- Wildlife friendly special lighting

- Fog safe "safety"/"security" lighting

- Architectural lighting

They won't necessarily be in the old "for SOX lanterns" form factor, but in new form factors :

Lamps up to 55W or so could do with CFL-like base with integrated electronic ballast (some LED corn things used in the very same applications are even bigger in size !). Besides other uses, this makes the lamp an option for use in ex-HID luminaires in which the ballast was bypassed for use with LED corns before

SLI lamps (straight sections of arctube, without the U bend, and lets not bother with power grooves initially) in outer tube matching the form of electrically compatible Fluorescent T12 tube, for retrofitting Fluorescent tubes up to 58/65W, instead of the original ratings up to 200W

The "discussion of NO's" wasn't very constructive because it didn't answer the question : Why ?

If it is a personal opinion let it be, but then dont try to convince everyone else of it

If there is some technical reasoning, it means that it could be presented, addressed and possible solutions proposed

Why would anyone put the time to write detailed technical post, if this post will immediately drown in more posts like yours Mercurylamps ? Is it possible at all to try to get a constructive discussion going with only the few that can present/address the problems in detail, without all the NO's from people who ONLY come there to post their NO repeatedly ?

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 10:23:40 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
I can't help but think that you are forcing your opinions on everyone else if they don't agree with you, Ash. Calling them "no-sayers" and telling them that they aren't constructive opinions just because they disagree with you or may find faults with your opinion. I do love SOX and there is still a few SOX installations nearby, however it's days are coming to an end. I'm not going to even bother checking these posts anymore as I am tired of this. Life's too short.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 02:53:28 PM » Author: Rommie
@Ash - Ye gods, ffs give it up..! It's NOT going to happen, so stop blethering on about it. It has been explained that it is not a practical proposition by people with far more technical expertise than I have, and who have worked in the industry for many years. If you are not going to accept this, then carry on, but don't expect anyone here to agree with you.

This is my last comment on anything you have to say on the subject. Call me negative if you like, I'm past caring.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Can you still use LPS (Low Pressure Sodium)? « Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 05:11:59 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
This topic will be now locked. You can PM me that why that this topic is locked.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:41:42 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies