Author Topic: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM?  (Read 18393 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « on: April 25, 2018, 10:48:11 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Which radio frequency do you like when you have the radio on? AM (amplitude modulation) or FM (frequency modulation)? For me, FM is probably best for listening music from a station, than AM does.  For AM is better for lightning detection, if you set the radio on 530kHz, then you hear the loud static discharges from the lightning. So yeah, what about your likes for FM or AM frequencies on a radio?

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 12:08:56 AM » Author: LampLover
I am loving my FM HD Radio as I have to have music on almost constantly when home (don't have a car or drive one) So I bought one of those Directed HD Car Connect DMHD-1000 from the worlds largest auction site and I rigged it up with a 12V power adapter and I bought a two pack of solder-less Motorola plugs for the antenna, I used the end of an old RG-59 TV antenna cable and I attached the Motorola connector to one end I then used a Female to female "F" connector coupler to attach pair of rabbit ears (The other plug I bought I used for the antenna output to my Denon RCD-M33 CD receiver as I only have one antenna) and I found a lot of different stations that I like (WPLR HD2) and the sound quality is pretty decent (Not quite CD quality as described but close) HD Radio and RDS signal requires and almost perfect signal or you lose the HD signal and the RDS can disappear altogether or have text errors (jumbled or missing, or wrong words), The HD signal is either there or not much like ATSC DTV.

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 12:48:16 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I prefer talk radio on AM and some of the oldies to be on AM as well.  FM of course for the music of the late 70s onward.  I listen to a lot of AM radio as well as XM (Satellite) radio. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 07:38:41 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
I don’t listen to the radio because of commercials but my choice would be FM
I listen to unreleased tracks like: ID - ID or Skrillex - ID of my iTunes playlists
The tracks come straight from the artists or I leak the tracks using stems from other songs

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:37:10 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Am radio is dead over here pretty much. Well you might hear some foreign easter european or russian stations but even with them the reception is quite poor. So fm it is.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 11:08:43 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I listen to a Canadian AM station on occasion.. But mostly FM.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 11:58:18 AM » Author: Rommie
FM is by far the best for audio quality, so it's what I prefer if listening to serious music. We don't have a very strong FM signal here though, so we tend to listen to DAB Digital Radio which is broadcast on Band 3 here in the UK (one reason why we don't have the 220 MHz amateur radio band that you lot in the US do  :-[).

DAB isn't as good in audio quality as FM, but it's usable if there's a strong signal.

AM is rarely used here now, there are a few stations that use it, but not many and I don't remember the last time I listened to it.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 12:37:45 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Brodcast people tried to push DAB through here about 18 years ago but consumers didn't like the idea of buying expensive new radio without that much different in sound quality so DAB was shut down after few years and nobody has talked about it since.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 01:13:39 PM » Author: Rommie
Brodcast people tried to push DAB through here about 18 years ago but consumers didn't like the idea of buying expensive new radio without that much different in sound quality so DAB was shut down after few years and nobody has talked about it since.
Not many people like it here either, but they forced it on us regardless  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 06:17:41 PM » Author: Cole D.
I rarely listen to AM as the signal is of course not as strong as FM. Plus AM is mostly just talk radio or oldies, and sometimes sports broadcast. I did turn on AM a few weeks ago in the car because I wanted to hear it with all of the lightning popping, and every time the lightning struck it would crackle.

Also FM has RDS information whereas AM doesn't. But as mentioned in the other post, if the FM signal is weak then the RDS text is jumbled or doesn't load. Kind of like how closed captions on TV work if the signal was weak, back before digital TV broadcasts.

Otherwise on long trips I rather listen to Pandora or satellite radio.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 10:31:10 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
For the most part the only time I listen to radio is in the car, and then its FM.
At home I mostly listen to CD's or MP3's(computer's output is connected to the stereo system)

Quote from: MissRiaElaine
FM is by far the best for audio quality, so it's what I prefer if listening to serious music. We don't have a very strong FM signal here though, so we tend to listen to DAB Digital Radio which is broadcast on Band 3 here in the UK (one reason why we don't have the 220 MHz amateur radio band that you lot in the US do  :-[).

Sometimes at home I'll listen to radio, but its HD Radio FM...which is not 'high def' as the name might imply, its a digital broadcast that's done as an extension to the existing FM signal (my understanding is its a totally different system than the UK DAB)
The signal is very 'fragile' though, doesn't take much to kill it (like the fact I can't listen during the day when my plant-lights(electronic ballasts)are on).
There was allot of marketing & hype back when it was new, but I think now overall its a system that's dieing a slow quiet death :(

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 02:52:55 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
I usually listen to FM radio in the car and sometimes at home. I do use AM to listen out for lightning or radio interference from electrical equipment.
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 08:23:55 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
I usually listen to FM radio in the car and sometimes at home. I do use AM to listen out for lightning or radio interference from electrical equipment.

530kHz is a perfect band (which no one broadcasts it) for lightning. Definitely makes as a great lightning detector.  ;D

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 08:49:30 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
530kHz is a perfect band (which no one broadcasts it) for lightning. Definitely makes as a great lightning detector.  ;D

Great! I'll try out 530kHz the next time we get a storm and see what I can pick up. We get some good storms here. 8)
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 10:43:36 AM » Author: BT25
Yep...530kHz works well for this...been doing this for many years.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies