Author Topic: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM?  (Read 18399 times)
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 10:54:05 AM » Author: BT25
AM radio here in the US is dying a slow death. Every year, several AM stations go dark...some are sold and come back on, along with an FX (FM translator, maximum power of 0.25kW, which has unprotected status), but most just turn in their licenses to the FCC. In large metropolitan markets, there's virtually no space for an AM to have an FM (translator) presence due to the FM band already being at capacity. This is the situation here in Seattle.

As to radio itself, the  FM band here has virtually everything you could want from talk, music (obviously), some sports, and news. AM is news, talk, sports, music (dying), ethic, and brokered programming, and without a good radio, it's just full of noise...except for the class A and B 50kW'ers...ugh.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:23:32 PM by WestinghouseCeramalux » Logged

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 12:35:52 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I guess it depends on what area you live.. Because there are plenty of AM stations around here... Almost a comparable amount to the FM..

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 12:38:55 PM » Author: Rommie
I guess it depends on what area you live.. Because there are plenty of AM stations around here... Almost a comparable amount to the FM..
Not very many around here, maybe one or two. The only one I listen to regularly is also available online and I tend to do it that way as the quality is better.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 03:11:35 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I much prefer listening to FM broadcasts, but we get a really poor signal here so we have to use DAB  :-[

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 03:38:41 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Based on what I have read about dab is that it suffers the same problem than digital tv. Radiostations broadcast with too low bitrate because one factor of the cost of broadcast is used bitrate. For the same reason, some free to view tv channels over here are pretty much unwatchable. Coming of HD challes has slightly help that.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 03:43:12 PM » Author: Rommie
Based on what I have read about dab is that it suffers the same problem than digital tv. Radiostations broadcast with too low bitrate because one factor of the cost of broadcast is used bitrate. For the same reason, some free to view tv channels over here are pretty much unwatchable. Coming of HD challes has slightly help that.
We don't have any analogue TV here now, it's all either digital terrestrial or digital satellite. Or cable (which we couldn't have here if we wanted it, there isn't one down the street, or anywhere else in the city for that matter).

TV signals here are quite good, we certainly don't have many problems, and DAB is quite usable. But analogue FM is hopeless, which is strange as the transmitter is co-sited with the TV one  :-\

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 10:59:10 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Yep...530kHz works well for this...been doing this for many years.

Yeah, but how it works, is when the lightning is far, the softer the sparks. Closer lightning, means sparks are loud and clear on the AM radio. That depends on the distance of the lightning producing storm.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 12:19:37 AM » Author: funkybulb
Here in south central texas

I listen to lot of Am radio one reason lot modern country
Music is trash,  and KKYX  is a full daytime blowtorch
AM radio seems to sound better than There FM translator
Anyway what kills AM band is that FCC is not regulating
Radio inerfearenc,  like power companys broken insulators
On the pole,  hearing traffic signal light changes ,HF ballast
Screw up radio signal, meaning AM  band becoming neglected with interferance   I had get my power company
To clean up there radio infearance due to a bad bushing
On a pole transformer.  Anyway to DX am or FM radio
U need have very clean stable power supply .  Those Ac ripple current what kills DXing a radio.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 01:22:45 AM » Author: tolivac
If I should listen to the radio-listen to short wave-hear whats going on in the rest of the world.SW is still used-broadcasting it right now to Cuba,South America and Africa.Whats on AM and FM today is GARBAGE!!!!Don't listen to ANY of it.AM is dying due to MORE interference on the AM band from switching power supplies in battery chargers and other devices.also most of what is on TV is GARBAGE too-just watch movies from my DVD player.no antenna for my TV again broadcast is simply TRASH! For both radio and TV today its like having a trash truck dump its load in your living room!
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 02:55:07 AM » Author: ace100w120v
FM without a doubt around here, but back home I often listen to AM after dark.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 12:32:36 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I really have no idea whats left in the way of AM stations where I'm at. Probably mostly talk stuff anyway which I don't want to listen to (and for music its useless being mono).

I might try a scan through the AM band just to see what I can tune in LOL
(done at night ofcourse since the electronic-ballast lights I have will probably 'kill' the signals)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 09:41:10 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
In my area where I live, they are plenty of AM stations and FM stations. But where I live is that the AM stations are harder to get on a portable radio, but some still come from the portable radio. Its better if your in a car, because I think it has a signal booster to get the stations fast. 

I much prefer listening to FM broadcasts, but we get a really poor signal here so we have to use DAB  :-[

Whats DAB? I never heard of it.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 10:05:23 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann

Digital Audio Broadcasting. It's a radio broadcast technique where audio signal is broadcasted in digital form over the air unlike fm and am which are analog.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 10:05:54 AM » Author: Rommie
DAB Digital Radio

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 10:39:07 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
I see. But its only in the UK. That will be cool if the US have DAB stations.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies