Author Topic: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM?  (Read 18395 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #60 on: August 01, 2018, 10:28:13 AM » Author: Rommie
You always have been a bit of a rebel...  :P
It's why you love me  :-*

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #61 on: August 01, 2018, 10:53:09 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It's why you love me  :-*
AWW  :-*

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #62 on: August 01, 2018, 01:00:15 PM » Author: Medved
I don't remember if I've said this before, but putting my pedant's hat on (it's the only one I've got that fits :P) AM and FM are modes of modulation, not frequencies. I've been known to transmit on AM on bands which are usually used for FM and vice versa. I'm a bit revolutionary like that sometimes  ;D :D

Well, if you say "MW" to 100 random people, you will get 90 questions of "What do you mean by MW?"...

But otherwise I do not like that either...

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #63 on: August 01, 2018, 01:10:04 PM » Author: Rommie
Well, if you say "MW" to 100 random people, you will get 90 questions of "What do you mean by MW?"...

But otherwise I do not like that either...

I know, I'm just being awkward, it's what I do  :P

I'm a radio amateur, and these things make me sit up and take notice. I suppose it's the same with anyone, a professional in any field would pick up on things that are related to their job.

MW = Medium Wave = 526.5 kHz to 1606.5 kHz, mainly used for AM radio broadcasting.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #64 on: August 02, 2018, 08:07:29 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Why would you have your radio on static.  ???

For one reason, @Miss Cuddly. I use it for lightning strikes. Because I'm a weather geek for myself of course. lol

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #65 on: August 03, 2018, 09:59:39 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl

For one reason, @Miss Cuddly. I use it for lightning strikes. Because I'm a weather geek for myself of course. lol
Okay, fair point, we never get lightning here on a regular basis so it's not something I thought of.  ;)

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #66 on: August 03, 2018, 10:01:11 AM » Author: Rommie
Okay, fair point, we never get lightning here on a regular basis so it's not something I thought of.  ;)
We don't go out looking for it either, if there's any sign of weather like that we stay firmly indoors with all doors and windows battened down ;D

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #67 on: August 03, 2018, 02:28:45 PM » Author: Medved
We don't go out looking for it either, if there's any sign of weather like that we stay firmly indoors with all doors and windows battened down ;D

Here the cracking sound on the radio of the approaching storm means the unbearable heat will soon be over at least for few hours. So that sound is pretty optimistically refreshing to me...  ;D

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #68 on: August 03, 2018, 05:13:52 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Here the cracking sound on the radio of the approaching storm means the unbearable heat will soon be over at least for few hours. So that sound is pretty optimistically refreshing to me...  ;D
Thunder was forecast for here today, but it never arrived.

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #69 on: August 04, 2018, 05:15:30 AM » Author: Medved
Thunder was forecast for here today, but it never arrived.
Forecasting that without an evidence of it forming (so no more than some hours in advance) is never reliable. You may see unstable condition buildup in the air for days, but you will never know, when and where exactly it is going to burst. You know it only when the bursting actually starts (that is no more than a hour or two in advance), only then the progress becomes predictable at least a bit.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #70 on: August 06, 2018, 04:24:32 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Forecasting that without an evidence of it forming (so no more than some hours in advance) is never reliable. You may see unstable condition buildup in the air for days, but you will never know, when and where exactly it is going to burst. You know it only when the bursting actually starts (that is no more than a hour or two in advance), only then the progress becomes predictable at least a bit.

Basically a low pressure system will create storms. High pressure systems don't create storms, it just cuts the cumulus clouds by the top, which doesn't create rain. Even when the moisture air is in, it still doen't crate any rain. Correct me if I'am wrong.

Also I saw a couple of 5G towers, and they are ridiculously small, than the 4G towers. 

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #71 on: August 07, 2018, 06:34:13 AM » Author: Medved
Basically a low pressure system will create storms.

Yes, but you will never know where and when exactly they burst out (until some hour or so in advance)...

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #72 on: August 07, 2018, 12:35:40 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Well I know when the heat of day when the moisture is in place, it creates these pop up, sometimes heavy storms. I seen it before, and it happened.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #73 on: August 07, 2018, 02:54:58 PM » Author: Medved
On some places, where are certain terrain features acting like "storm magnets" (so usually triggering the burst; some edge of mountains,...), the forecast may work.
But on larger, feature less terrain you may have unstable layering building for days and then bursting either the first day, in other occasion it may take nearly a week to burst. Then you are lost with any forecast any more exact than "Storms probable".
Here we have just small hills (some 100's meter) and the forecast is able to say "Some local storms will be somewhere in a 100km radius". And "local" means not bigger than 1..2km in diameter and "Some" means one or two...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:56:31 PM by Medved » Logged

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Which radio frequency do you like? AM or FM? « Reply #74 on: April 24, 2020, 09:41:11 PM » Author: Cole D.
I had an interesting experience today that remind me of this. Today I was in the car with radio on FM station. It was lightning, with purple colored flashes, and each time it struck, the radio went quiet for about 3-5 seconds each I guess. But there was no static. Usually, when I hear lightning on radio it makes crackling, but not this time.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies