Author Topic: Has anyone researched the streetlight history in your area?  (Read 991 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Has anyone researched the streetlight history in your area? « on: April 28, 2018, 01:13:53 PM » Author: Cole D.
I've been trying to find out what streetlights were used in my area. I've found old pictures, but they mostly are of the roundabout and streets nearby. These areas had 5 globe fixtures which were the first streetlights. Then shortly after I guess the acorn posttops were installed on side streets. Sometime by the 1950s it seems the post tops were replaced with clamshells of some kind on poles. I can't figure out if the side streets ever had radial waves or not, but I'm going to look at some books and see if any are in the pictures. From what I read in 1985 the current acorn post top fixtures were installed and new 5 globe fixtures were installed at the roundabout and courthouse. They claim the original lampposts were used on the acorns but I think it's unlikely they found them all and hadn't been scrapped. Plus it would have been a huge job to repair and repaint them all.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone researched the streetlight history in your area? « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 01:49:13 PM » Author: Ash
Living and being most of the time in places that have been built through the 80's and 90's, there were no "previous" lanterns other than the ones i know. It's only in the last years, that there have been LED lanterns popping up

In some other places, there have been replacements of small Mercury lanterns installed between the 60's..80's to SON lanterns at around the late 90's to early 00's. For what i can tell this wasn't about energy saving, but about increasing light levels, since the SON lanterns that were installed are generally not much lower power than the Mercury ones, but they are much brighter

At around the same periods, it was also common to see indoors original lighting of 60's..80's buildings (recessed Incandescent cans, etc) be replaced with Fluorescents, often with quite the most basic stuff - PL bulkheads, plain Fluorescent strips, drop ceilings were installed to hide the original ceilings of buildings with ordinary Parabolic modulars, and so on
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies