Author Topic: Survey on your accent and dialect  (Read 1410 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Survey on your accent and dialect « on: April 30, 2018, 10:00:07 PM » Author: CEB1993
Check out this Harvard survey that determines you dialect and accent based on a 25 question quiz that asks how you pronounce certain words.  This survey reveals that I have an Alabama accent  :)  It's pretty accurate, as I live in South Carolina and have been exposed to the Southern drawl my whole life.  Hopefully I won't lose my unique accent when I move up to New York for a year  ;D  Below is the link to the survey and a picture of my results.  Enjoy!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Survey on your accent and dialect « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 11:23:30 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
My way of speaking changes on a daily basis I do not do it on purpose... sometimes I have a southern tinge to my talk.. other times I'll have a canadian-ish accent... other times I'll have some other weirdness going on... It depends on my mood I guess.. I don't think this test delves deep enough.. or perhaps I'm just a weird case...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:29:24 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Survey on your accent and dialect « Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:55:31 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Since my girlfriend and her sisters are ALL from Iceland and were born there
They’re accents have been leaking into mine and I’ve been sounding like I’m from Iceland
My dialect from Colorado is leaking in the theirs but their Icelandic accent still dominates
Mackenzie has trained me to speak fluently in Icelandic, it’s a unique and very to easy to learn language in my opinion. From that I can have a full blown conversation with my girlfriend and her sisters in Icelandic
Sometimes I can code that to talk about some of my friends from Aspen CO since they don’t understand and they just get confused hehehe
The chart doesn’t apply to me because there’s no Iceland
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:06:06 AM by F96T12 DD VHO » Logged

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Survey on your accent and dialect « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 11:42:44 AM » Author: Rommie
I suppose my accent such as it is would be described as London, since that's where I'm from (well Essex really, but on the borders..!) It's been 40+ years since I actually lived there, but I get back reasonably often, and fortunately I haven't picked up the AWFUL Birmingham accent, despite living and working there for a long time. I'm not broad Cockney, though.

Edit: I've just done the survey in the original post, but the answers are skewed as they don't apply to anyone living outside the US, which I think is rather short-sighted of them  :-\
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:08:10 PM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Survey on your accent and dialect « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 06:03:02 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
With me it all depends on who I'm speaking to.

I have a terrible habit of picking up some people's accents.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:10:52 PM by Miss Cuddly » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies