Author Topic: 1.21 Jiggawatts  (Read 1416 times)
Steele1992

View Posts
View Gallery

1.21 Jiggawatts « on: May 09, 2018, 09:13:29 PM » Author: Steele1992
scary stuff
there's lightning over my house and it did something to the electricity.
my lamp dimmed and flickered rapidly like a strobe light 10 or 15 times
then went off for 2 seconds then came back on super bright and flashed 5 more times, went out, then went back on
my APC computer backup device on the floor was clicking about 5 or 6 times
my pc shut down and rebooted because my APC is too small to power the PC (but it still protects it from overvoltage)
i dont know what happened but ive never seen that before
my apc didnt log it because the pc shut down abruptly so i dont know what happened

the lamp was blinking to the same rhythm as a lightning bolt so not sure what happened.  the tv and dvd player in the living room turned off but came back on again.

I collect exit signs, preferably vintage ones.

I also have a little bit of a thing for light bulbs, too. Of course, hoarding them due to the incandescent bulb ban.

(Signature last updated October 27, 2011)

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: 1.21 Jiggawatts « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 12:02:15 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
We had a lightning storm aswell.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: 1.21 Jiggawatts « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 04:57:31 AM » Author: dor123
scary stuff
there's lightning over my house and it did something to the electricity.
my lamp dimmed and flickered rapidly like a strobe light 10 or 15 times
then went off for 2 seconds then came back on super bright and flashed 5 more times, went out, then went back on
my APC computer backup device on the floor was clicking about 5 or 6 times
my pc shut down and rebooted because my APC is too small to power the PC (but it still protects it from overvoltage)
i dont know what happened but ive never seen that before
my apc didnt log it because the pc shut down abruptly so i dont know what happened

the lamp was blinking to the same rhythm as a lightning bolt so not sure what happened.  the tv and dvd player in the living room turned off but came back on again.
Simply brownout or a lost neutral as a result of a lightning strike near your house.
I always take care that my computer won't overload my UPS. So things like these, occurs on my UPS, only when its battery reaching EOL.
See the following links of my hostel brownout after a power outage at autumn 2016 (The brownout in my case was simply a ~90V mains voltage):
1. https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-125504
2. https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-125505
3. https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-125506
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 05:01:03 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies