Author Topic: Is it ok to use cold temp t12 ho lamps in the heat?  (Read 2709 times)

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Is it ok to use cold temp t12 ho lamps in the heat? « on: May 12, 2018, 09:27:55 PM » Author: 589
I bought a bunch on f96t12 ho 110w lamps and didn't realize the are cold temp lamps. Would running them in normal to hot humid southern heat cause any issues or longevity reduction? If so I'm going to take them back. Thanks!

Also what is the difference between a ct lamp and a normal one? Any advantages to a normal lamp in regular temps?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:34:42 PM by 589 » Logged

:lps:

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it ok to use cold temp t12 ho lamps in the heat? « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 12:46:47 AM » Author: BlueHalide
Cold Temp simply indicates the lamp starts and operates at full intensity in outdoor temperate climates (unlike some normal output lamps), all HO and VHO lamps are considered "cold temp" but of course can operate at high temps too just like any other fluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Is it ok to use cold temp t12 ho lamps in the heat? « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:58:06 PM » Author: 589
Good to know, thanks!

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Is it ok to use cold temp t12 ho lamps in the heat? « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 11:28:37 PM » Author: BT25
I bought a bunch on f96t12 ho 110w lamps and didn't realize the are cold temp lamps. Would running them in normal to hot humid southern heat cause any issues or longevity reduction? If so I'm going to take them back. Thanks!

Also what is the difference between a ct lamp and a normal one? Any advantages to a normal lamp in regular temps?

The 'cold-temp' category is only to show that the lamps are full power (110W) versus the standard economy lamp which is 95W. One can use the 'cold-temp lamp in any application. The 'cold-temp' lamps would be used in signs, or exterior lighting where the economy lamp would flutter and flicker and never heat up on winter nights. (Here, one has to specify 'cold-temp', otherwise one will receive the economy tubes.)

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is it ok to use cold temp t12 ho lamps in the heat? « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 02:24:40 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah it's basically a loophole since the regulations banned regular halophosphor 110w 8' HO lamps so the manufacturers labeled them outdoor use only. The 95w lamps are not recommended for outdoor/low temp use so there's a exemption in the ban to allow 110w HO lamps with the outdoor use labelling.   

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Is it ok to use cold temp t12 ho lamps in the heat? « Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 12:30:37 PM » Author: 589
That's weird because I just bought some new Philips 110w bulbs too and they're run at 95w as well as the cold temp ones in the fixture. Probably just the ballast doing that.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies