Author Topic: Why is Cool White so common?  (Read 2359 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Why is Cool White so common? « on: May 19, 2018, 12:21:05 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
This only tends to be in HID or Fluorescent lighting and now LED
But anyway considering when you go to a hardware store to look at the fluorescent light or HID section you see lots of CW, yes I'm aware that there is some variety of colors' but most is CW or CWX

Secondly why is CW called "Cool White" despite of it's soft(ish) appearance

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Why is Cool White so common? « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 01:52:45 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I've actually been kinda wondering that myself all these years..

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is Cool White so common? « Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 02:29:04 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
It's a nice neutral color.  Not as annoying and hard on the eyes as daylight, and not too warm or muted and gets drowned out like warm white does.  Warm white is a great color for environments that have warm colors on the wall, ceiling, and floor- or where you want to have a relaxed environment-  (churches, hospital rooms, bathrooms, kitchens)

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is Cool White so common? « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 03:56:03 PM » Author: Medved
The required color depends on the intended mood, but as well on the illumination level.
For low levels, typical at homes, you need to be around 2500..4500K, higher CCT would look harsh bluish.

For high illumination levels like work lights and so on you need colder light, about in the 4000..6500K range, warmer light would look harsh yellow.

And the "CW" (aka ~4000K) is just usable for both, not really optimal, but still fits. Hence sometimes called "universal white" (mainly in the German territory). And that means unless there is any technical obstacle (e.g. with HPS), the CW is the first color to be designed with any light source...

No more selfballasted c***

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Why is Cool White so common? « Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 07:17:34 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
But then CFLs and general use LEDs are soft white for the most part

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is Cool White so common? « Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 02:43:56 PM » Author: Medved
But then CFLs and general use LEDs are soft white for the most part

Because these are intended for the lower intensity home use, where the expected illumination level is in the area where these colors are fine. The thing is, for an eventual higher intensity use, where the colder temperature would be required, these CFLs and LEDs have too low light output, so the installation would have to use impractically high number of them to reach the higher levels.
Don't forget the rather typical F32T8 fluorescent emits nearly 3000lm, with most common two lamp per fixture it means 6000lm, while typical installation (e.g. over a single shop work bench) is two such fixtures. Having the same from incandescents (or equivalents) means 8x"100W", that is just too complex (once the fluorescents became available).
Normal application for the CFLs or similar is 1x or 2x per room way bigger than that work bench, so way less than 1/4 lighting levels. That is quite significant difference...

Plus unlike the workbench, at homes you usually want more relaxing atmosphere and for that the 4000K is still quite high.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is Cool White so common? « Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 05:37:04 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
They do make CFLs with a 4100K temp. I have a few.

Administrator #5

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is Cool White so common? « Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 01:08:05 AM » Author: Medved
They do make CFLs with a 4100K temp. I have a few.

They do, even the colder tones. The same as they do make the standard fluorescents, as well as HIDs in the warm colors.
But the point was, the mainstream is the soft white with CFLs/"incandescent retrofit" LEDs, but cool white with normal fluorescents and (high color quality quality) HIDs.

bryanrb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is Cool White so common? « Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 05:39:40 PM » Author: bryanrb
Most retailers now use SP35s or SP41s. They have a brighter, warmer color than CW,CWX, or even WW. Even though SP41s have the same color temp(4100k) as CW, they are slightly warmer and brighter.
Men of God

View Posts
View Gallery

jiachao.wei.71 chao_813975447 UChyTpXvlQ8ZCfBPP_lJjubg chao990613
Re: Why is Cool White so common? « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 10:37:46 AM » Author: Men of God
然而我们的大部分都是DAY LIGHT,代码是“D”,以中国的电光源命名系统代码是“RR”,COOL WHITE的是“RL”

表示灯的色温的符号
RR:表示日光色(色温6500K)
RZ:表示中性白色(色温5000K)
RL:表示冷白色(色温4000K)
RB:表示白色(色温3500K)
RN:表示暖白色(色温3000K)
RD:表示白炽灯色(色温2700K)

我不会英文,所以我用中文,请你们用翻译网站翻译我打的字!

I can't in English, so I in Chinese, please use the translation website to translate my words!

Proteus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is Cool White so common? « Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 04:29:00 PM » Author: Proteus
Unfortunately I don't understand ehy CW is so common. To be honest, I don't like it at all, the halophosphor CW (640). In my opinion, it belongs at maximum to a parking lot or a barely visited storage room. It looks just grey and ugly.

Point of interest:
Here in Switzerland, we used to fit fluorescent fixtures very often with Philips color 33 and Osram color 20 (640 standard CW). Here were around 50% of all installed tubes these 640's.
In Germany, they had installed the same amount of tubes in color 25 (740, Universal white), which js a bit less efficient than CW, but much better color.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies