Author Topic: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting?  (Read 2157 times)
Southoftheborderlights

View Posts
View Gallery

My Favorite Light Poles!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jose-alaniz-8b4744152/ Yojosay
Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « on: May 25, 2018, 03:43:08 AM » Author: Southoftheborderlights
Recently my town has been slowly converting to LED lighting, the first move was on the expressway, and also converted all the HPS lighting in my downtown area to LED as well. Now I personally loved the cobra heads that were used previously, I just feel like the Cooper Verdenon (the one which is being used alot in my town) is well an ugly design, yet not boring when compared to others I've seen.
Also can someone help identify this fixture used? I swear I can not find a match!!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:53:27 AM by Southoftheborderlights » Logged

Street light enthusiast since 1999
Jose A.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 06:44:14 AM » Author: dor123
LED streetlights are boring, see why: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-146801

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 03:21:57 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
except for a very very very select few, no one cares about street lights, other than that they light up the roadway, which is why a group of people on a lighting forum site may have strong opinions, but whose opinions mean absolutely nothing to the public and lighting industry. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 04:19:52 PM » Author: Ash
Then no effort whatsoever would be put into the visual design (shape, appearance during the day) of streetlights, and no care by architects for choosing streetlights that match their designs. The available choice of streetlights of many different shapes definitely shows otherwise
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 08:54:16 AM » Author: Cole D.
One section of the highway here has been converted to LED a year or two ago. The fixtures don't look that bad honestly, they're on the truss arms and the shape of the arm flows with the fixture so it doesn't look out of place. I did notice last night quite a few of them don't work! In the sections that are HPS, nearly all of them work, I didn't even notice any that were not working.

Other than that my utility replaces all of the HPS bucket lights in their area with evluma LED lights if they fail. I haven't really noticed any other neighborhoods with LED, so I assume other utilities are still relamping possibly. I have seen one or two pop up downtown. The only other place with LED is the Burger King parking lot has LED fixtures.

LED has no warm up process so it's rather boring compared to HID lighting.

Some LED lights can look quite nice though, such as the teardrops that have LED in them.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 12:29:29 PM » Author: Rommie
We have just returned from 2 weeks holiday to find that our entire street has been changed from HPS to LED. No consultation, no questions, nothing, they just did it :(

It feels like they waited until we were away, it's so upsetting. Not only have they robbed the street of any character it may once have had, I never got a chance to snag any lanterns as they were removing them  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 02:02:21 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
LED street lights are extremely boring:-  :(

A) They have no optical qualities
B) They have no aesthetic qualities
C) The start up is just on, and that's it

HID lanterns on the other hand:-  :)

A) They have reflectors and refracting bowls so the light goes where it's needed
B) The majority have been chosen by a lighting engineer who knows what will look good
C) They come to life and warm up before achieving full brightness.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 03:06:50 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I wouldn`t say boring, LED have their own interesting designs and operating quirks like their HID predecessors did, albeit, just not as variable.
Some LED lanterns are just ugly, granted, (but there were ugly HID lanterns too), and although LED have no `run up` so to speak, the ones on Philips`s Xitanium driver do have a cool `fade in` if you catch one firing up at the right time, (its quite cool seeing my garden burst into life/light, as my own LED lanterns come on at night).

The instant on is also a bonus on the roads too, as it reacts faster in severe storm conditions.
And I know I`ve said this before, but after 35 odd years here of seeing our streets under sodium light, to me 4000K of white makes the streets look `cleaner and friendlier`, if that makes any sense to anyone????

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 03:10:44 PM » Author: Rommie
And I know I`ve said this before, but after 35 odd years here of seeing our streets under sodium light, to me 4000K of white makes the streets look `cleaner and friendlier`, if that makes any sense to anyone????
Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. White street lighting looks awful to me; I love SOX and to a lesser extent HPS, the loss of them from our streets is something I will never get over  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 03:14:43 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. White street lighting looks awful to me; I love SOX and to a lesser extent HPS, the loss of them from our streets is something I will never get over :'(
I'm with Ria on this one, we love what is to us the warm glow of LPS and HPS lighting.  :) To us LED lights are just so soulless  :'(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 03:22:33 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah, I guess I have just been so use to seeing SOX all these years, I`m happy for another colour, I did share your feelings on SOX growing up, but it seems like forever now thinking back.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 03:29:50 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I just dislike the white lighting because it hurts my eyes at night... light in general is not even supposed to be around at night for the most part.... HPS has always been nice to the eyes... I don't really foresee white light making streets around here looking friendlier........ if you grew up where I grew up you'd realize that no amount of lighting is going to make you feel safe. watch your arse out there and make friends of possible enemies.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 03:32:01 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 10:28:31 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Personally I prefer the look of MV (and probably always will) / that's what was around when I was young.
Then they 'upgraded' to HPS ... and I truly hated the orange color (it eventually grew on me where now I even own a few HPS fixtures)
SOX never existed in my area (but first time I saw it, I instantly liked it)

As for LEDs, yeah they're boring (atleast on startup), and some are glare-bombs, but I don't mind the pure white light (some are blue-enough that they even somewhat remind me of MV) (and the warm-white is actually kinda nice)
Some fixtures are ugly as could be, but others actually look decent. Interesting could be used to describe fixture designs

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 06:16:49 AM » Author: suzukir122
Street lights are not just becoming boring, but also unreliable. (LED's)

@Xmaslightguy, I literally went through that phase as well when I was a kid. When I lived in Illinois with
family, the street that we were on had coated MV street lights... and even though I liked sodium fixtures
better, I actually got a little angry when they replaced them with sodium. I honestly don't know why, because
HPS was my favorite kind. But then again, I was only like 7 years old at the time.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Street Lights, are they becoming Boring on Interesting? « Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 10:43:48 AM » Author: Lumex120
I'm rapidly loosing interest in streetlighting since it's all boring LEDs now.

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies