Author Topic: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily?  (Read 3886 times)
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 10:41:21 AM » Author: HPS_250
I simply use the 256 GB internal storage of my iPad.  :lol:

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 03:59:29 PM » Author: Ash
I use ordinary internal SATA drives, which i connect into PCs with the case open. No external USB enclosures or anything like that
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 04:26:34 PM » Author: Rommie
I use ordinary internal SATA drives, which i connect into PCs with the case open. No external USB enclosures or anything like that
I have a 3.5" 500GB drive in a small USB 3.0 enclosure which I use to back up the Windoze machine, but that system doesn't get used often. The main Linux systems all back up using a program called Deja Dup which copies all the contents of the user's home directory to (in this case) one of the Buffalo Terastation Raid 5 network drives.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #18 on: June 13, 2020, 05:10:45 PM » Author: Bulbman256
I have a 1tb ssd that i have but haven't used as my camera that used to use for lighting and other things broke from some goof in the lens gear array.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #19 on: June 14, 2020, 11:20:36 AM » Author: Binarix128
I don't use one yet, but I will.
All my camera videos are almost 100GB! In a little 500GB hard disk of my computer. That's because the camera is a cheap sport camera, with a heavy apple MP4 encoding, that's for use less CPU cycles of the little camera. An averange video can weight up to 500MB each!

I'll use a 1TB HDD, are cheap and 1TB are sufficent for my media, my photos are saved in 4.7 GB DVDs, but I'll back up my photos to the HDD for an easier access.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #20 on: June 14, 2020, 11:27:49 AM » Author: Rommie
I get very nervous about single very high capacity drives, especially once you get over 1TB. That's an awful lot of data to lose if it fails  :poof:

I prefer to back up to a network RAID array (see the bottom of our network rack cabinet). Each unit has 4 drives in a RAID 5 configuration, which allows one drive to fail without losing data, and the failed drive can be quickly hot-swapped.

The current ones are only 2TB and are also getting near the end of their useful lives, so we'll be looking to replace them soon. They've not done bad for almost 15 years service  ;D

By the way, anyone looking for long-term external storage, this is one situation where proper hard drives are a better option. SSD's are good for internal storage which is changing rapidly, but for long term archiving of music, photos and the like, a mechanical hard drive is a far better choice. You don't need high speed of access for a backup and SSD's are still a lot more expensive for the capacity. 4TB SSD's are NOT cheap  :poof:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:38:42 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #21 on: June 14, 2020, 03:54:53 PM » Author: Ash
If you have the data in one and only copy, only on the backup drive, then its not a backup...

Above 1 or 2TB or so, manufacturers seem to have resorted to shingled recording to save on disk platters... And the reliability of such recording may be questionable. So 1..2TB might indeed be a reasonable limit to the size of worthy backup drives. (BTW, WD Purple drives for CCTV recording still use conventional methods since the shingled writing can't keep up with CCTV recording write throughput demands, but those drives have some other features that may make them not the best option)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies