Author Topic: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area?  (Read 8868 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « on: July 01, 2018, 12:59:21 PM » Author: Cole D.
Generally I do enjoy thunderstorms as long as I'm not caught in them. I have to be careful because sometimes I'll go for long walks and have to make sure one doesn't pop up while I'm a long way from home.

Over the last week we've gotten some heavy rain storms, one just last night with 1.5 inches of rain. Last Sunday evening a big storm came too and lots of lightning. Some of the solar lights which had already turned on started flashing and then went off during the storm. After it was over they turned back on. It's that time of year though for afternoon storms. In the winter time, usually thunderstorms happen late at night when a cold front comes through. Everything is quiet and the you're awoken with loud thunder and flashes. I kind of enjoy them since I'm safe inside and I like to listen to the rain.

Generally I do not like to drive in storms, several weeks ago I went out one evening and got caught in one on the highway, and all of the cars kept speeding around me at 70 MPH in pouring rain. Plus a few times I've been driving home in the afternoon when one was coming through. I think it's kind of exciting though, to drive with the lightning popping around, but it's scary too. Though it's generally safe to be in a car during a thunderstorm.

My favorite though, is the expectation when a storm rolls in, the stillness before, and then the wind picks up and the sky is dark and you know something's about to happen. Plus if you're driving you want to see if you can make it home before the rain starts.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 02:50:07 PM » Author: CEB1993
I usually enjoy a nice thunderstorm with light rain and rolling thunder. I love to sit on the porch and watch the storm move in over the mountain range near my house. The smell of fresh fallen rain on a warm day is nice, and it’s so refreshing how the temperature drops as the storm blows through. With stronger thunderstorms, I’ve felt downdrafts, cold blasts of air blowing downward from the tall thunder clouds.

I only get nervous when it hails and when the wind blows really hard. My previous car was severely damaged from golf ball sized hail last year.  Luckily the insurance settlement helped me pay for a new car this year, that thankfully has not been hailed on.

Just last week, I had a microburst type storm blow in over the mountains. The wind gusted up to 60 mph and the rain was blinding. It blew sideways and splashed the glass doors on the porch, so I watched this one from inside.  This monster storm was incredibly powerful, and only lasted about 15 minutes. Afterwards, I discovered a huge tree limb that had fallen beside the house. It was about 20 feet long, and my brother and I snapped some of the twigs off and pushed it out of the way yesterday. That big branch was blown down by the wind, and was within 10 feet of falling on the house  :o Thankfully that didn’t happen.

Other than strong wind and hail, I really enjoy a nice afternoon thunderstorm. We have had about average rainfall here in upstate SC this summer. Some really hot and dry days and a few really humid days with afternoon thunderstorms, so a typical summer so far for me.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 01:43:57 AM » Author: tolivac
I like the thunderstorms,too!The more flashing lightening and thunder-the BETTER!When you get hail that is a danger sign that a tornado could be coming.Several years ago in Greenvile there was a golf ball size hailstorm.Did see a tornado funnel-it did not touch down.Good on that!Let the neighbor park his car under my carport.
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:17:13 AM » Author: CEB1993
I like the thunderstorms,too!The more flashing lightening and thunder-the BETTER!When you get hail that is a danger sign that a tornado could be coming.Several years ago in Greenvile there was a golf ball size hailstorm.Did see a tornado funnel-it did not touch down.Good on that!Let the neighbor park his car under my carport.

Hey Tolivac, are you in Greenville, South Carolina?  That’s where I live. If that storm with the golf ball sized hail and the funnel cloud was within the past year, then that’s the one that tore up my previous car in March 2017. There were 100’s of calls for roofing companies and insurance adjusters right after that storm because the hail was incrediblly destructive.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 08:34:12 AM » Author: funkybulb
Ive been cought in a developing tornado
I was riding my bike going to class on collage
Campus.  I was picked up like 3 feet off ground
While pedding i was moved 5 feet over turned
Around  other way.  Made a peel out mark hitting
The ground. I notice wind keep getting stronger and
Stronger until it snap tree branched like tooth picks
And started ripping up roof on houses.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 11:54:14 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Ive been cought in a developing tornado
I was riding my bike going to class on collage
Campus.  I was picked up like 3 feet off ground
While pedding i was moved 5 feet over turned
Around  other way.  Made a peel out mark hitting
The ground. I notice wind keep getting stronger and
Stronger until it snap tree branched like tooth picks
And started ripping up roof on houses.
Good God! That’s a trip. A scary one

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 11:55:47 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Here’s mine/yes I like severe storms
I was walking with girlfriend and it was cloudy but then out of nowhere a loud and literal clap of thunder erupted at the same time as a cloud to ground lightning strike struck the ground all this happens simultaneously
Girlfriend got scared and jumped onto me hugging me like I was a tree. I was able to calm her down but it scared the (....) out of us. I flinched she jumped
Thunder was so loud I vibrated the ground and made a nearby moving car slam on their brakes

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 12:29:04 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Funkybulb, I highly, highly doubt that you were picked up by a tornado. Maybe possible winds from an
approaching strong thunderstorm, but certainly not an actual tornado. Even if it were the weakest
kind of tornado, (F0) had you been picked up by a tornado, the result would've been much more catastrophic.

Being in a car during a thunderstorm can be safe... depending on the type of storm. If it's a regular
thunderstorm, or strong thunderstorm, you should be alright. Being in a car during a Severe thunderstorm could prove
hazardous. Being in a car during a Super-Cell thunderstorm... not safe, at all. Depending on the strength of the
Super-Cell, you could get very heavy rain, very dangerous lightning, golf-ball, grapefruit or even soft-ball sized hail,
winds of up to 80+ mph, and long lived deadly F5 Tornadoes. So yeah you could be safe during a thunderstorm, but
it really depends on what kind of storm we're talking here.
Throughout my life, I've only encountered one Super-Cell storm... which thankfully didn't maintain it's strength or rotation.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 12:31:46 PM » Author: Medved
Fortunately here we do not have such things like tornadoes or similar "nice" things.
The worst weather use to be hails and/or high winds, mainly the later is the responsible for tree falls on roads, power lines or similar things.
Otherwise I like the storms, mainly looking at it from home window, at evening after a hot summer day...

No more selfballasted c***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 05:11:07 PM » Author: AngryHorse
We very rarely get them anymore, even when it's been above 30 degrees here, for over 3 weeks now!, our worst storms happen along the coast here.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 09:51:29 PM » Author: CEB1993
So, I had a violent thunderstorm come through today while I was out eating supper. The thunder was deafening, even from inside the noisy restaurant. Afterwards, as I drove home, I saw that power was out in some places and a hotel near my house had been struck by lightning  :o People had to evacuate and the fire alarm was set off. Strange thing about this storm was that it didn’t rain much, but the thunder and lightning were fierce!  The sun was partially out and the clouds weren’t too dark or formidable either.

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 10:54:21 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I love a good thunderstorm. Lighting and heavy rain are da.mn  exciting to watch...so the more of that, the better. :)
I hate wind and hail though.

-----------
As far as storms here this year....
um...what storms? We've had some little rain showers, and a few lightnings. But nothing that I'd even call a storm.
A few weeks ago according to my mother we had a brief heavy rain & thunder move through the area. But I was down in the city that day so didn't get to see it (though looking back towards the mountains where I'm near all you could see is thick clouds & rain - couldn't see the mountains themselves)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:52:30 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 11:59:16 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
There's a random and unexpected thunderstorm that has showed up to the north/east of me tonight .. can see a fair bit of flashing through the trees in that direction :)

edit:
And I see there is also another one to the south...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 12:11:08 AM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 12:57:16 AM » Author: tolivac
I am in Greenville North Carolina-a bit North of Greenville South Carolina.You are not the only one that has been confused.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 07:04:46 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, Sounds like you've gotten occasional Thundershowers instead of actual storms lol

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies