Author Topic: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area?  (Read 8874 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 08:32:36 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
In Tampa Florida last night we got a glimpse of the storm as I happened to be on the edge of the anvil cloud
The was lightning that shot from one side to the beach
I was on the beach at the time and it was scary being that lightning could strike me
As usual my girlfriend and her sisters begged me to come inside but I said I would and stayed out for another hour until the storm ended
I basically got a lightning show as the storm or the heart of the storm was 15 miles away from the beach (I’m staying right next to the beach)
Every 10-15 minuets we got lightning that shot to the beach from the city and crawled in the clouds and stayed in the clouds long enough that it lasted 3 seconds
After the first strike my girlfriend and her sisters ran inside but me I continued to stay outside despite how many flashes of lightning
I was in and out of the water while this happened
This was in Redington Shores

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 04:47:13 AM » Author: suzukir122
On my first day of work, after having been without a job for 7 months, on my way to work, I got caught in a very
bad storm. I got on the highway and the highway was completely backed up, all at a bad time because it was 5:45pm and I
had to be at work at 6:00pm. Anyways, I saw the radar before leaving, and I knew the storm was bad... definitely severe, almost "Super-Cell"
criteria. When I was on the highway, I could kind of see the base cloud, with a nice "scud" effect, as if it was
going to produce a tornado, despite the scud cloud not being a Mesocyclone. I also  noticed the entire storm was very, very dark. So much to
the point where I even remembered mumbling "wow, this storm is definitely dark," to myself. Lots of lighting as well. On
the road towards work, I got annihilated by very heavy rain, very strong winds, very heavy quarter sized hail, and lots of leaves
from trees. It was like a small hurricane, but with hail and crazy lightning.
To my surprise, I made it into the building and clocked in 2 minutes before 6pm. Still can't believe it.
The storm was so bad, I actually had to slow down to a complete stop at times, in the middle of the road.
STILL made it to work despite that.
Luckily the storm wasn't any stronger than that.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 08:00:07 AM » Author: Cole D.
In Tampa Florida last night we got a glimpse of the storm as I happened to be on the edge of the anvil cloud
The was lightning that shot from one side to the beach
I was on the beach at the time and it was scary being that lightning could strike me
As usual my girlfriend and her sisters begged me to come inside but I said I would and stayed out for another hour until the storm ended
I basically got a lightning show as the storm or the heart of the storm was 15 miles away from the beach (I’m staying right next to the beach)
Every 10-15 minuets we got lightning that shot to the beach from the city and crawled in the clouds and stayed in the clouds long enough that it lasted 3 seconds
After the first strike my girlfriend and her sisters ran inside but me I continued to stay outside despite how many flashes of lightning
I was in and out of the water while this happened
This was in Redington Shores

That's really dangerous to stay on the beach during a storm. :o

Sometimes I'll go outside if it's thundering far in the distance and I don't see lightning. But even that can be dangerous because lightning can come out of nowhere. Last Sunday evening I was on the computer and out of nowhere there were loud cracks of thunder that seems close by. I didn't even hear the storm coming, but with the humidity it can cause sudden lightning.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 08:30:58 AM » Author: suzukir122
Lightning is mainly associated with thunderstorms... although lightning can also form due to dust particles in
the sky... but that is extremely rare. If you're in a situation where you're standing by watching the cumulonimbus
cloud from far, then no, there's no chance you'll be struck.
If you're in a situation where you're standing by watching a distant base cloud barreling towards you, the closer
that base cloud and downdraft gets to you, the higher the risk of being struck.
How fast that storm gets to you, really depends on the speed of the storm.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 11:44:10 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, Sounds like you've gotten occasional Thundershowers instead of actual storms lol
Yep! This year right where I'm at (with the few we've had), most wouldn't even qualify as a thundershower .lol. 1 or maybe 2 would.
but I've seen some big storms to the south and the north. A few deff reaching the severe category, a couple of those were probably even supercells...you know when you see a huge dark storm off in the distance that goes way up and gets that anvil thing at the top :)

Its been dry here (drought conditions) even been 'dry thunderstorms' in the mountains (little to no rain but still the lightning/thunder and wind that comes with a normal storm). Not at all good for the fire issues...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 12:02:41 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, YEP... you might've even seen the LP Super-Cells... the ones with little to no rain. I typed
in Colorado tornado, and I got plenty of crazy results. So there's a chance that you guys in Colorado get the Super-Cells
from time to time, with the added tornadoes.

Interests:

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 02:10:00 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Isn't Colorado on the edge of Tornado Valley?

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 04:43:10 PM » Author: suzukir122
@F96T12 DD VHO, Yup... and Denver is right outside that edge, while places like Kansas City = in
the very middle.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 08:52:08 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, YEP... you might've even seen the LP Super-Cells... the ones with little to no rain. I typed
in Colorado tornado, and I got plenty of crazy results. So there's a chance that you guys in Colorado get the Super-Cells
from time to time, with the added tornadoes.
Actually I meant that post as 2 parts:
* The possible supercells were back in the spring, and contained plenty of rain & hail (from news reports I saw).
* Its now that they are warning of possible 'dry thunderstorms' - fairly small ones, there simply is not enough moisture to build big storms. (they say tomorrow will be cooler, a bit more humid, and a bigger chance of getting some actual storms...I for one am hopeing to see some meaningful rain)

And yep we can get tornadoes here in CO...not so much where I'm at (really too close to the mountains for that), but out on the eastern plains of the state it does happen. .. .well you saw that from your google search :)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 05:20:00 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Cal
I actually think part of it passed through the house as there was a loud “click” before the actual thunderbolt. 
I've been outside at home on more than one occasion, and heard the 'zap' of a lightning followed almost instantly by a very loud thunder.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 05:29:24 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
About a hour ago we just had a tornado here in Colorado....up in Park County. :o
...what makes this one so special/unusual is that Park County is up high in the mountains!
On a side note: Park County is also dealing with a 10,000+ acre forest fire (I believe the tornado happened about 5-6 miles from the fire...just imagine if the tornado had happened .in. that fire :o that would be one h.e.l.l of a sight/storm to see)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:37:51 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 06:17:21 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
About a hour ago we just had a tornado here in Colorado....up in Park County. :o
...what makes this one so special/unusual is that Park County is up high in the mountains!
On a side note: Park County is also dealing with a 10,000+ acre forest fire (I believe the tornado happened about 5-6 miles from the fire...just imagine if the tornado had happened .in. that fire :o that would be one h.e.l.l of a sight/storm to see)
Yeah the mountains usually don't get tornadoes that much or even ever. Since currently I'm not in CO(I will be back there Saturday) it  seems like I had missed a lot. I feel bad for the people who got hit

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 07:29:08 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, what was the tornado's strength rating? Was it an F1, F2, or above? The stronger the storm/tornado of course,
the more damage, and the more fatalities. But if it really happened near a mountain, I wouldn't expect the tornado or even
the Super-Cell storm to be all too bad compared to flatter land areas.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 10:14:55 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@F96T12 DD VHO:
Yep, very rare but it does happen..
They got lucky with this one, no homes were damaged, nobody hurt.
They did ofcourse have to call off fire-fighting efforts while the storm was running though.

@suzukir122:
I heard the emergency broadcast go out over the radio while driving to do a few errands. Was a bit surprised when it said confirmed tornado on the ground in Park County.
Watching the news this evening, they didn't say what size it was. I'd say though that most likely only a F1...this is up in the mountains, and knowing the general area, we would be talking a likely elevation range of 9000-10000 feet.
Gonna look around & see if any news on weather or not the storm & its rain did anything to help out firefighting.

--------------
This afternoon we finally got a good decent rain (& a bit of lightning) down where I'm at.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 11:49:08 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: xmaslightguy
most likely only a F1
Yep just a F1
It actually happened right near the fire too...not a few miles away like I'd thought from the initial weather warning.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 01:29:32 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies