Author Topic: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area?  (Read 8869 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 01:15:52 PM » Author: CEB1993
I woke up to a heavy thunderstorm early in the morning on July 5 in Landrum, SC.  This was a remarkable storm because of how electrical it was (I could see a radio tower on a mountain get struck by lightning twice), the direction it was moving, the time of day it arrived, and its "comma" shape.  This storm moved from east to west as moisture flowed in from the Atlantic Ocean.  The "comma" shape of the storm, seen in the attached picture indicates a potential tornado producer.  The wind was rather calm, but the rain was torrential and the thunder and lightning were some of the most vicious I've ever seen and heard  :o  The radar screenshot below was about 30 minutes before the storm struck.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 01:17:26 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 01:28:54 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I took a pic at this cloud to cloud lightning from a strong thunderstorm.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 02:47:20 PM » Author: Cole D.
Was that lightning in the evening? I see lots of lights on but it could be due to the clouds.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 04:00:13 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Was that lightning in the evening? I see lots of lights on but it could be due to the clouds.

It was in the evening when I was taking the pic at that lightning.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 04:02:50 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #34 on: July 06, 2018, 09:42:30 PM » Author: CEB1993
I took a pic at this cloud to cloud lightning from a strong thunderstorm.

Wow!  That's an amazing picture, Cole!  Looks like a jagged hand.  We had another heavy thunderstorm in my town today.  It's worth mentioning whenever I can hear the thunder from inside my office building.  I work in the interior of the 4th floor, so it has to be a fierce storm for me to notice what's happening outside.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #35 on: July 06, 2018, 09:45:01 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Wow!  That's an amazing picture, Cole!  Looks like a jagged hand.  We had another heavy thunderstorm in my town today.  It's worth mentioning whenever I can hear the thunder from inside my office building.  I work in the interior of the 4th floor, so it has to be a fierce storm for me to notice what's happening outside.

Actually that pic was taken by me. ;)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 07:23:40 PM » Author: Rommie
We HATE heavy rain, we were driving south to visit my mother last weekend, and not long after we left Aberdeen the heavens opened and it was the heaviest rainfall I've seen in years, I was almost on the point of pulling over as I literally couldn't see 6ft in front of me. Fortunately, after only a minute or so it slackened off and we were able to continue. It happened again on the way home while Sammi was driving, and she's very nervous behind the wheel at the moment as she hasn't driven much in the past few years, so it threw her a bit  :'(  Fortunately she came through it fine  ;D :-*

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #37 on: August 17, 2018, 07:26:21 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We HATE heavy rain, we were driving south to visit my mother last weekend, and not long after we left Aberdeen the heavens opened and it was the heaviest rainfall I've seen in years, I was almost on the point of pulling over as I literally couldn't see 6ft in front of me. Fortunately, after only a minute or so it slackened off and we were able to continue. It happened again on the way home while Sammi was driving, and she's very nervous behind the wheel at the moment as she hasn't driven much in the past few years, so it threw her a bit  :'(  Fortunately she came through it fine  ;D :-*
It was definitely touch and go at one point, but you can't just pull over and stop when on the motorway.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #38 on: August 18, 2018, 07:39:04 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
A poem inspired by the weather:

We looked out of the window
What we saw is a terrible blow
The sky has started to leak
Ria let loose an almighty shriek
So the shopping can wait
As getting soaked we hate

Hope you like it  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #39 on: August 18, 2018, 07:58:59 AM » Author: AngryHorse
The last really bad one we had over my town, was back on August the 22nd 2015, this photo was taken at about 7 in the evening, at my front door, (when is should have been still light), and I thought I saw the start of a tiny funnel cloud???, what do you think....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:00:51 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #40 on: August 18, 2018, 08:17:11 AM » Author: suzukir122
Nope... looks more like a scud cloud to me, although this definitely looks like a more organized, severe storm.
Definitely doesn't look like a traditional Supercell storm though.
I have seen that you guys in the UK do get some violent thunderstorms from time to time every so often

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #41 on: August 18, 2018, 09:23:42 AM » Author: Cole D.
@ AngryHorse, I seen a cloud that looked similar to that when I was driving home recently, I agree it did look like a funnel cloud forming.

Actually last Wednesday we had a severe storm come through at about 11:30 at night. I could hear thunder in the distance and then it got louder and louder until I could see lightning flashes in my room. I had my headphones in, but thought I could hear rain starting, so I took them out and I could hear a rain starting to sprinkle. Then it started pouring down. It was nice because I enjoy falling asleep to the rain and I was asleep within minutes.

Now usually in the summer, storms such as that tend to occur in the afternoon when it's the hottest time of day. Rarely do they happen late at night, but I think this one drifted in from somewhere else.

However, in the winter time, we usually tend to get these storms late at night, when a cold front approaches and reacts with the warmer air.

Oh, and I agree, I don't usually like driving in the rain. Although, I do like it when there is a storm approaching and you can see lighting and wind blowing dust or leaves around, but it's not raining just yet. Even better if I get home and inside right before the rain starts to fall.  ;D

Sometimes, I like driving in the rain, if it's somewhere where there isn't any traffic like a country road with no cars but me.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:26:10 AM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #42 on: August 18, 2018, 03:21:56 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: MissRiaElaine
I love a good heavy rain...but when I'm at home, not when driving!

Had a pretty bad storm come through earlier this week when I was driving home...
Like yours, rain so heavy you could see any distance in front of the car. It was to the point where I would have pulled over & stopped (if there had been a place).. farther I went along the harder the rain got, then the hail started. Between the pouring rain and the hail pounding on the car it was so loud (sorta scary, and deff not fun to driving in)
There's a park I pass by on the way home from work, once I got to that (basically the first place to get off the road), I drove into the parking lot & just waited for for the storm to subside (not all that long - probably 5-10 minutes later).

I'm assuming its the same storm that once it moved off into the eastern part of the state, spawned a tornado.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #43 on: August 18, 2018, 03:50:32 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, yeah on my way to work during my first day back, (I was almost late) I had to go through that same experience,
only I could NOT stop since I was very close to being late for work. I remember being scared as well, because the quarter
sized hail was hitting my car so hard, I had that nagging feeling like, oh crap, I'm about to lose my windows.
My storm didn't contain a Mesocyclone, funnel cloud, or tornado though.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Do you like when it storms? What severe storms have you had in your area? « Reply #44 on: August 18, 2018, 04:04:01 PM » Author: Cole D.
Awhile ago I was coming home from the gym and got stuck driving through a bad storm, which it was at night. The rain was so hard I could barely see and then I had people going about 65-75 in a 65 zone in pouring down rain which is really dangerous. I was going about 45-50 anyway. They kept passing me and I even got in the right hand lane and almost pulled over because it was so bad.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies