Author Topic: Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying?  (Read 3011 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying? « on: July 21, 2018, 07:21:59 PM » Author: Cole D.
Just wondering because Lowes still has some on clearance, 175W clear MV for $4. I was thinking of getting one for my GE 201SA, to compare to the coated one it came with.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying? « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 09:35:00 PM » Author: takemorepills
$4? Should be a no-brainer! Buy it! Even if it isn't a "good" HID bulb, you can't beat $4.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying? « Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 12:30:22 AM » Author: Lumex120
Just wondering because Lowes still has some on clearance, 175W clear MV for $4. I was thinking of getting one for my GE 201SA, to compare to the coated one it came with.
My Lowe's has those too. And yes, I'd say they are worth it.

Unofficial LG Discord

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying? « Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 12:59:54 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
out of the big three, I'd have to say Sylvania makes the best right now and has for quite awhile.  GE and Philips don't seem to last as long. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying? « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 06:39:13 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Sylvania has used its current chinese mercury lamp mfg since about 2012, I installed several in 2013 at a campground (in 175w nema buckets) and as far as I know all but one are still working, so its safe to say they last at least the rated 24,000 hours. One thing is certain though, the phosphor coat on the DX lamps degrades rapidly, those same lamps at that campground greened out only a few months after installation. But 90% of them have lasted 5 years now dusk to dawn, which is something
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying? « Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 08:50:30 PM » Author: Cole D.
Thanks guys, I bought one of them. They had Sylvania MH bulbs for $10, HPS for $5 and 300W incandescent for 94 cents also.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying? « Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 03:48:48 PM » Author: Lumex120
Sylvania has used its current chinese mercury lamp mfg since about 2012, I installed several in 2013 at a campground (in 175w nema buckets) and as far as I know all but one are still working, so its safe to say they last at least the rated 24,000 hours. One thing is certain though, the phosphor coat on the DX lamps degrades rapidly, those same lamps at that campground greened out only a few months after installation. But 90% of them have lasted 5 years now dusk to dawn, which is something
I have a 250w version in my garage lowbay that's been getting use since 2014 and it still isn't turning green.

Unofficial LG Discord

mefurd98

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying? « Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 01:59:45 AM » Author: mefurd98
 My local Lowe’s has switched to mostly GE products and has put the remaining Sylvania products on clearance. I picked up a 175w mercury and a 400w metal halide for about $10.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying? « Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 09:52:28 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
My local Lowe’s has switched to mostly GE products and has put the remaining Sylvania products on clearance. I picked up a 175w mercury and a 400w metal halide for about $10.
I wish we had the opportunity to buy these over here.  :'(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying? « Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 08:41:17 PM » Author: Cole D.
I went back and got another MV bulb plus a 300W incandescent.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying? « Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 06:31:14 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I went back and got another MV bulb plus a 300W incandescent.
You're lucky that you get a choice of what lamp type you can buy, over this side of the pond it's 90% LED with the rest CFL or Halogen, nothing else seems to be stocked any more  :'( :'(

And CFL and halogens have now been banned from being made so it will be LED or candles soon. :'(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Are Sylvania HID bulbs worth buying? « Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 06:08:00 PM » Author: Cole D.
Interestingly, I went to Habitat and they had some Sylvania HID bulbs. There was a 175W MV, 150W HPS and 100W HPS plus two Feit 80W MV. They all had Lowes' clearance stickers on them still, so I guess Lowes took the leftover ones there for some reason. They were $2 each plus they had a lot of LED bulbs with C7 base from Lowes too.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies