Author Topic: Canadian General electric era  (Read 1903 times)
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Canadian General electric era « on: August 07, 2008, 03:51:36 PM » Author: Foxtronix
What are the dates of the CGE era? Surely somewhere in the 80s...

form109
Re: Canadian General electric era « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 03:18:49 AM » Author: form109
what is that?
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Canadian General electric era « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 07:14:27 PM » Author: lightman64
Canadian General electric is a totally different than the GE we see in America. Canadian General electric merged with our GE in the 1990's.

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Canadian General electric era « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 09:51:31 PM » Author: Foxtronix
CGE in the Canadian General Electric, like lightman64 said. It was the canadian divison of GE. I think GE do thid in the 80s because you should know that the FTA didn't appear until '88 and the NAFTA until '94. So GE found a way to sell his products on the canadian market and compete with other canadian products, such as the Globe Electric lamps and Sylvania products. At the time importing products to Canada from US was quite expensive. Only specialty products (colored fluorescent tubes, circlines, etc...) were imported. When the Canada and the US signed the FTA in '88, this canadian division has become useless, so it diseapeared. This can explain the creation of the canadian factories, such as the Sylvania factory at Drummondville, QC, or the Westinghouse factory at Trois-Rivieres, QC (Closed in '88 I think).

I have a few CGE products in my collection (they are in my gallery)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:53:14 PM by TiCoune66 » Logged

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Canadian General electric era « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 06:27:39 PM » Author: Silverliner
GE opened their first Canadian light bulb factory about 100 years ago making carbon filament lamps. So the Canadian division has had been around for a very long time!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies