Author Topic: GU24 CFL  (Read 1829 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
GU24 CFL « on: August 29, 2018, 08:43:20 PM » Author: Cole D.
Are these bulbs more rare? I've seen them in those closet luminaires. And I remember back around 2007 or 2008, I bought a CFL desk lamp on clearance for about $4 at CVS that had one. I thought it was a very odd socket to use, this was when CFLs were the new big thing and they were pushing them. It was a desk lamp made by Globe. Wasn't very bright though. I don't have it anymore, kind of wish I kept it now because it was rather unusual.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: GU24 CFL « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 09:10:19 PM » Author: Lumex120
They are a dictator-ish lamp that are designed only to work in designated sockets. They were designed to prevent use of incandescents.

Unofficial LG Discord

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GU24 CFL « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 02:25:18 AM » Author: High Intensity
Last time i was at the Santa Clara ReStore, they had a few 2-packs of E26 to GU24 adaptors.
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: GU24 CFL « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 09:26:27 AM » Author: mdcastle
My stepfather's car dealership has two ceiling fixtures with them. The idea is that when they started putting out light fixtures designed for compact fluorescent they found consumers didn't like not being able to change the wattage since the fixtures had an integrated ballast and PL type tube. The GU-24 was designed to accept only self ballasted CFLs, so you couldn't say put a 200 watt incandescent lamp in there and overheat a fixture designed for 30 watts of heat.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: GU24 CFL « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 10:31:35 AM » Author: dor123
The British have their equivalent 3 contacts bayonet cap. Glad that we have no such bases. But we do have 230V halogens fixtures for 230V halogens lamps with GY6.35 base: http://www.eurolux.co.il/product?c0=117399

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: GU24 CFL « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 11:49:02 AM » Author: Rommie
The British have their equivalent 3 contacts bayonet cap. Glad that we have no such bases. But we do have 230V halogens fixtures for 230V halogens lamps with GY6.35 base: http://www.eurolux.co.il/product?c0=117399
I'm rather fond of the B22d-3 base, it prevents people accidentally plugging discharge lamps directly into a normal incandescent socket. With E26/27 caps it's easy to do if you're not familiar with HID lighting circuits. By the way it's three locating pins on the cap side, not three contacts as you stated, there are still only two of them  ;D

Sadly, it is becoming rarer now in favour of E27, which to me is a retrograde step  :-\
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 11:51:02 AM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: GU24 CFL « Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 12:24:09 PM » Author: dor123
All of these bases, is to forced preventing the usage of incandescent lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: GU24 CFL « Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 01:52:38 PM » Author: joseph_125
I believe the early 100w mercury lamps here used a slightly larger E29 Ad-medium base for that purpose too. Unfortunately over the years, E26 based HID lamps were more popular and the E29 base died out.

Yeah I remember seeing those closet fixtures with the odd squat GU24 CFL in them. I always wondered where you have to go to find replacements for them. I know they make LED lamps with a GU24 base now and I've also see a GU-24 to E26 adapter too. They're probably intended for people wanted to use cheaper E26 based LED lamps in a GU24 fixture but you could also use a incandescent in them, ;D
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: GU24 CFL « Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 09:04:00 PM » Author: Cole D.
I think Lowes still sells the Pass and Seymour closet fixtures with the GU24 CFL. Home Depot no longer sells them but changed to the Leviton LED type. I didn't know the LED had the GU24 base but I hadn't looked at it to see. I haven't looked for that type of CFL so I don't know if they have replacements for those or not in the stores. I know they sell the regular GU24 CFL but not sure on the self ballasted ones.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GU24 CFL « Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 10:02:16 PM » Author: wattMaster
GU24 CFLs were once slightly common, but now they're only found in California because of their goofy regulations.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies