Author Topic: Startup color of HPS  (Read 5993 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Startup color of HPS « on: September 02, 2018, 09:12:28 AM » Author: Cole D.
Do you notice some HPS fixtures with no color change at startup? Sometimes when I go for walks, I notice my neighbor's HPS NEMA head starts with a white MV like color and then gradually warms to yellow and then orange. But last night I was walking and I happen to see another neighbor's HPS flood start up. There are two floods on the pole each with photocell and one was already at full brightness. But I happened to look just as the other struck and it was already a yellow/orange as it was starting, it just flickered a bit was the only difference, but no color change. Most any other fixture I see does start with white color, such as cobras, etc so I thought it was interesting how it was already orange color.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 09:28:54 AM » Author: dor123
Newer lamps have more sodium, so they are more orange at startup. Older lamps have less sodium and more mercury, so they starts white and turns bluish.
High xenon pressure Super HPS lamps, usually starts bright white than orange than peach color of HPS.
Mercury free HPS lamps, starts similar, but oranger and they turns yellower color.
Non-cycling HPS lamps, starts out mercury all the way to full brightness, than turning to peach color of HPS lamps.
Penning start HPS lamps, starts out reddish orange, than bluish, than orange, than peach color of HPS lamps.
The white color of HPS lamps at startup, is of the xenon.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Danny

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 11:15:32 AM » Author: Danny
I have some HPS lamps that are that knackered they dont even go to the golden colour before cycling! They just stay blue! The blue start up is usually a sign they are nearing end of life
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 01:43:19 PM » Author: dor123
I have some HPS lamps that are that knackered they dont even go to the golden colour before cycling! They just stay blue! The blue start up is usually a sign they are nearing end of life
Here is such a cycler (Which has been relampped since).
Here is an extreme case , where the lamp restrike for only several seconds while rectifying, than going out.
However, not all HPS lamps, reaches to this state at EOL. There are some that cycling forever with reaching to HPS colour, and others that cycles for a while, than stop working.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 04:33:52 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Yup, the more worn out tired bulbs will start off looking like mercury vapor/MH then gradually warm to.. well.. warm colors. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 04:40:36 PM » Author: Cole D.
I see, and this makes sense, because those floods were only installed a year or two ago. The bulb in that NEMA who knows how old it is. Unfortunately that means it will probably get replaced with LED when it does go EOL for good. :(

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 05:08:49 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
maybe.. HPS will be around for a long long time yet..

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 05:34:05 PM » Author: Cole D.
True, but my utility company seems to replace any lights that are not functioning with LED. They said they don't just change them out, but too many of the NEMA heads have gotten replaced for me to think they were all ballast failure. I don't think they relamp them anymore.

If it was a Duke owned fixture, I would have more of an expectation they would still relamp it if it failed.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 06:36:09 PM » Author: Rommie
HPS will be around for a long long time yet..
Not around here, unfortunately; they're vanishing fast, every time I go out I see more and more of them gone, replaced with awful glare bombs that have no optical or aesthetic properties at all  :'(

For example, not long ago they replaced ALL of the HPS in our street with LED's while we were away for 2 weeks, I thought we'd driven into the wrong street for a moment..! There are still a few HPS and MH street lights around in nearby streets, but they're getting scarcer by the day  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 12:42:03 AM » Author: tolivac
The 600W HPS lights I now have---600W CHPS-this starts up like any other HPS-then goes to a white color after about 20Min.also have Agro-Sun 600w,and USHIO OptiRed lamps-these warm up and work like other HPS lights.The maker of both of these say on the lamp wrap that it takes 100 hrs of run time to get any sort of "red" effect.Run these on a Hortilux 600W digital HF ballast.Will run these for 100 hrs and see how it goes.also have a Gavita 750 W and 1000 W DE lights.The Gavita ones have adjustable output ballasts-you can run the light at lower wattage or 10% over.Gavita tells you to run the lamps for 100 hrs at nominal wattage-750W,1000W before dimming or boosting them for optimal bulb life.
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 11:01:24 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Some of my lamps start up with white others orange.. I notice it most often in my 70 Watters...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 11:02:11 AM » Author: Cole D.
Wow, sounds interesting. Where or what purpose do you use these high wattage bulbs?

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 12:42:18 AM » Author: tolivac
I just like running the 600W HPS lights-but only for no more than a few hrs per day-esp with the 1000W one.These were intended for plant growers-imagine their power bills when they run these for 12-or even 24 hrs per day!
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 01:56:33 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Many football and baseball fields will use the high wattage HPS lamps to use after the game for the grounds/stadium crews when cleaning up.  Coors field here as well as the Air Force Academy football field uses em.  It's kinda cool to see. 

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 02:37:35 AM » Author: Medved
The HPS are used to save the expensive "TV grade" MH's and to save some power for the clean up/maintenance work after the main event. It takes a few hours, but it does not need that high intensity and quality illumination as the main event does.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies