Author Topic: LOA LED bulb refunds  (Read 2571 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
LOA LED bulb refunds « on: September 03, 2018, 11:52:58 AM » Author: Lumex120
Did anyone see this? Looks like they finally got nailed for false advertising.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/lights-america-refunds

Unofficial LG Discord

paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: LOA LED bulb refunds « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 12:04:34 PM » Author: paintballer22
It's about time.
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LOA LED bulb refunds « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 01:10:24 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Yes, I remember these! They made efficiency claims by like a factor of 4 or 5 over what their lamps really performed, as well as a 100,000 hour life if memory serves. Which at that point is just blatant false advertising. Good to see they sued LOA.
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: LOA LED bulb refunds « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 02:49:25 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Finally!

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: LOA LED bulb refunds « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 05:15:20 PM » Author: 589
About time someone calling out all the used car salesman in the lighting industry. They’ve been making a bad name for all the companies who are being reasonable and legitimate about LEDs. All the hype and false advertising that has been pushed by many LED companies I think has been a large part of the pushback on them from folks like us. I don’t dislike LED lighting, just how it’s been handled by marketing and sales, taking advantage of the public which is blissfully ignorant or misinformed of how lighting works.

:lps:

randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LOA LED bulb refunds « Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 11:41:04 PM » Author: randacnam7321
I actually got a refund check in the mail from this.  For lamps I bought 10 years ago.  Spooky...

Old school FTW!

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: LOA LED bulb refunds « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 12:21:10 PM » Author: FGS
About time. They tarnished LED's reputation before it even had a chance to evolve and improve into what we have these days. I'm not sure but I think Light of America LEDs made me AntiLED back in the 2000s (for general lighting). Until one day in early 10s. (Another story for another day.)

I have one of their LEDs I got with a fixture I bought at a thrift store. Basically day to night difference when I compared it with a properly designed LED bulb. It's supposed to be soft white. But no, it's something else I can't describe but the light quality was horrid. And not very bright either. (I'll have to find the bulb and post it in my gallery.)

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: LOA LED bulb refunds « Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 12:37:18 PM » Author: Lumex120
I actually got a refund check in the mail from this.  For lamps I bought 10 years ago.  Spooky...
That is weird. How long ago did you get the refund?

Unofficial LG Discord

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LOA LED bulb refunds « Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 03:32:11 PM » Author: Medved
About time someone calling out all the used car salesman in the lighting industry. They’ve been making a bad name for all the companies who are being reasonable and legitimate about LEDs. All the hype and false advertising that has been pushed by many LED companies I think has been a large part of the pushback on them from folks like us. I don’t dislike LED lighting, just how it’s been handled by marketing and sales, taking advantage of the public which is blissfully ignorant or misinformed of how lighting works.

Such ignorance is quite common among marketing bu11$h1tters, by far not only in lighting industry. It really hurts many new developments. Few examples from auto industry:
Marketing:
Dual clutch is best fuel saver and you may operate it the same as any other automatic.
The facts:
Yes, they do form very reliable, lightweight and efficient transmissions, if you are operating them sensibly regarding how they work, they use to be very long lasting.
But if you are crawling in a typical city jam with them as you are used to do in standard automatics, you wear the clutches (mainly the one for odd gears) in really very short time.
The results:
DCT's/DSG's have extremely bad reputation just because of the clutches wearing off prematurely. Only because people are unintentionally killing the clutch, just because thy were not made aware about the specifics. Because of the marketing claims.

I would bet very similar situation would be with the Fords PowerShift (robotized single clutch mechanical transmissions - mechanically the same as manual, only manipulated by the machine itself). Again people, unaware of what they are really driving, use driving style which could have been OK for classic auto, but make the PowerShift computer confused to such extend it makes the shifts in hasty mode, wearing off the synhro rings, yielding to shifting failures and so functional collapses (car refuses to operate).

No more selfballasted c***

randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LOA LED bulb refunds « Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 11:20:28 PM » Author: randacnam7321
That is weird. How long ago did you get the refund?
A week or so ago.

Old school FTW!

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LOA LED bulb refunds « Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 02:30:38 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
loa (should be loc lights of china) have been garbage from the start.
i cannot name even 1 of their products that was  worth the package it came in.
their early led bulbs were doomed from the start.
5mm white leds driven at 60+ ma standing on long leads anyone?
you can do this in a flashlight with the - lead soldered to a thick copper trace and a low usage pattern but not with something expected to last thousands of hours.
it would taken a few hundred hours testing in the lab to see this was not going to last.
about time they got their asses handed to them!
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: LOA LED bulb refunds « Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 03:31:52 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I have an old magnetic circline screw in adapter made by them... It ain't bad... But I assume maybe that was a totally different lights of America?? Or were they always a Chinese company?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies