Author Topic: Best LEDs on the market? [2018]  (Read 2700 times)
Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Best LEDs on the market? [2018] « on: September 25, 2018, 07:24:37 PM » Author: Miles
I'm in the process of converting all the house E26 fixtures to LED, however given the multitude of bulbs available on the market today, it's a bit hard to know what's what.

Here are my requirements that have proven to be challenging to get them all in a single model:

– 3000K (Not 2700, not 2850, not 4000.)
– ≥92 CRI
– Good R9 rendering
– Fully enclosed rated
– Absolutely no flicker, smooth operation
– Preferably remote phosphors
– Wide beam angle
– Lumens/Watts ≤90
– JA8 / Energy Star compliance: Excellent lumen maintenance past 25,000 hours.
– Whatever brand means these day, but overall good quality materials, no yellowing or cracking plastics, etc.

2600Lm (150W equiv.), 1600Lm (100W equiv.), 1100Lm (75W equiv.), 800Lm (60W equiv.), 450Lm (40W equiv.) and 250-300 Lumens (25W equiv.) needed.

– All models from same brand for consistency
– Price isn't an issue.
– Dimmable or not isn't an issue either
– Looks of the bulb doesn't matter as fixtures are globes, partial and fully enclosed.

It's rather easy to find those specs in specially built fixtures (LED arrays, LED modules, etc...) but not so for replaceable A19 type units.
Am I dreaming or can I find those somewhere from the same brand?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:28:02 PM by Miles » Logged
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best LEDs on the market? [2018] « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 11:58:07 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
This is what I was installing in schools retrofitting from T8 to LED.. The ones I were installing required a separate LED Driver (also from GE) but they were quite nice.  No flicker.  I probably installed 400+ of these GE Tubes and 200+ GE Drivers (2 lamp and 4 lamp) and did not have 1 failure at all.  I was impressed. 

http://emea.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/emea/products/highlights/led-tubes/product-features/

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Best LEDs on the market? [2018] « Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 05:48:50 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Best thing I can suggest Miles, is to do what I did when converting the house to led, just get a complete mix of everything, then decided what looks best where, you’ll find you don’t settle on just one brand, and will have a preference for each room  ;)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best LEDs on the market? [2018] « Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 08:48:34 PM » Author: Miles
I'm not looking to have a mix of everything. I'm seeking consistency. Hence this forum post. Color temps and CRI vary from manufacturer to manufacturer even if the numbers match on the box.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best LEDs on the market? [2018] « Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 05:56:00 PM » Author: wattMaster
Feit Electric filament LEDs are pretty good, and high CRI options are available. The only problems are flicker and a maximum brightness of 1600 lumens.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best LEDs on the market? [2018] « Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 04:26:33 PM » Author: Miles
I've heard mixed reviews about Feit, but it seems they're improving quality?
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best LEDs on the market? [2018] « Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 05:15:58 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
yes they are.

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best LEDs on the market? [2018] « Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 02:31:36 PM » Author: High Intensity
Some of the Feit LED filament lamps i have don't have any flicker at all.
Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best LEDs on the market? [2018] « Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 10:05:22 PM » Author: Miles
Update: Looks like CREE now has what I need, easily available in big box stores. 90+ CRI at 3000K in 40, 60, 75 and 100W equivalents, dimmable, fully enclosed fixture rated, Energy Star approved. They have a wide variety of color temp choices as well for those who prefer warmer or cooler color temps.
Lumalux

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex's World of Christmas Lights!

Re: Best LEDs on the market? [2018] « Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 07:35:58 PM » Author: Lumalux
Yes, the Crees are very good. I did an 80-lamp halogen PAR38 retrofit in our church a couple of years ago and all are still burning. I chose them for their reported high CRI.

I have Cree 2700K decorative candelabra filament LED bulbs in our outdoor decorative fixtures and they are indistinguishable from incandescent.

I have Hyperikon 2700K and 3000K LED PAR16s in small fully enclosed bullet-type directional fixtures under the eaves around the perimeter of the house and they give excellent color and brightness with light that mimics halogen perfectly.

I have sampled all sorts of A19s and other sizes around the house with lots of variation and disappointment. The Philips and Feit all-glass A19s are excellent.

The GE vintage style 2200K filament LEDS with CLEAR glass mimic a very warm incandescent with no flicker.

I know some of these bulbs fall outside what you described you were looking for.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies