Author Topic: HID looking Incandescents  (Read 1425 times)
Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

HID looking Incandescents « on: October 12, 2018, 07:33:51 PM » Author: Keyless
When I saw these at the local store, I just could not pass them up. I have no use for them, but bought them solely because of the look. They remind me of a multi vapor lamp for some odd reason. All thats missing is the MV arc tube  :P

Question though- when I was looking at these and the frosted versions, I saw two types: some with a horizontal filament like these and others with a capsule like on the Sylvanias. Often for the same wattage. Anyone know why 2 styles exist in the GE line? I could not find anything that forced one over the other.

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5052&pos=0&pid=151942

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5052&pos=2&pid=151940
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: HID looking Incandescents « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 12:54:56 AM » Author: dor123
These are just energy saving halogen lamps for incandescent sockets.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HID looking Incandescents « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 01:53:03 AM » Author: Keyless
I know- and they are really nice. But I wonder why 2 different styles of capsule exists.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: HID looking Incandescents « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 02:06:40 AM » Author: dor123
The first one, have a capsule with a vertical filament that it is only be done with 120V filament (It would be longer with a 230V filament), and it is more expensive to make, but also more efficient.
The second one, have the common design of 230V single ended halogen capsule, but smaller, since it is 120V. It is cheaper to make, and less efficient.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HID looking Incandescents « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 03:13:14 AM » Author: Medved
I would guess each design corresponds to what the given plant is doing and how it is equipped.
The single ended capsule allows to accomodate more reliable arcing protections (fusing elements, multiple filament chambers,...) in a cost effective way. These protection elements are a must for 230V operation, so they tooled one fab for that concept (they want to sell in 230V area too). So when this fab was used for 120V products, it was the easiest to maintain the high voltage design...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies