Author Topic: Optimal burning position for best life of LED lamps  (Read 1761 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Optimal burning position for best life of LED lamps « on: October 16, 2018, 03:41:12 AM » Author: dor123
When my AQ-Light 15W CFL at my father home will be EOL, I plan to replace it with an amber LED filament lamp, so I could use it as a nightlight on my georgian E27 to europlug adapter, since all LED nightlights available now, are white and not colored.
The problem is that amber LED lamps are almost non-exists here in Israel (At Home Center, I found colored regular pear LED lamps, including yellow. However they are of the Nepton brand of Orout Haamakim), and LED filament lamps are available only in white shades, and not colored shade.

CFLs recommended burning position is base-down, to allow the heat from the tube and the ballast in the case, to rise and escape from the lamp, and it is the main accounts for the very long life of my Osram Duluxstar 8W/827 and Hyundai TEVA 20W 827 color CFL, as well as my AQ-Light 15W CFL.

So if I will had to buy an amber LED lamp in a regular form, what is the recommended burning position for best lamp life? (They have electronics inside the base, so base-down would save the electronics, but short the LED life, since their heat won't rise through the heatsinking to the outside air.
Also, if I would manage to buy an amber LED filament lamp, is there also a recommended burning position for LED filament lamp, to get the best life from them?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Optimal burning position for best life of LED lamps « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 02:44:55 PM » Author: High Intensity
I'm not sure what manufacturers recommend for running LEDs but i think (for most LEDs) it might be best to run them base-down (just like CFLs) and to avoid using them in enclosed fixtures (all of the LEDs i've used in enclosed fixtures, (even ones that said they were made for such fixtures) all have lasted less than a month).
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Optimal burning position for best life of LED lamps « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 01:37:30 AM » Author: Medved
The LED lamps design vary so much there is no universal "ideal position". It depends how different parts are sensitive to heat (e.g. if it uses or does not use electrolytic capacitors,...), what are the heat management features there,...
With a separate ballast and LED you have more freedom, but less possibilities to solve failures...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies