Author Topic: Sylvania  (Read 3360 times)
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Sylvania « on: August 21, 2006, 10:23:41 PM » Author: don93s
A question has nagged me for awhile: GTE is a communications company, and Sylvania is a lighting/electrical company, and I've heard Sylvania products from the 60's to 70's refered as GTE-Sylvania, but fluorescent tubes from Sylvania sported the GTE logo for only a brief time in the 80's.
Does anyone have info on this bit of trivia?
Don
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Sylvania « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:46:49 PM » Author: Silverliner
GTE took over Sylvania Electric Products in 1959. Until 1965 or so Sylvania continued to be known as "Sylvania Electric Products", at least on the packaging. Then it was re-named GTE Sylvania Inc. In 1979 it became GTE Products Corporation. GTE basically was made of many companies, mostly telephone and telecommunication companies. I don't know why the fluorescent tubes didnt have the name GTE on the etches in the 60s and 70s, but their incandescents were never marked with such. HID lamps had the GTE name for a very short time in the mid 1970s. The 1980s etch on fluorescent lamps as you pointed out wasn't really short lived. That was the standard etch design on all fluorescent lamps from 1980 to 1993.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:05:48 PM » Author: don93s
Thanks for the info! :)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies