Author Topic: Self ballasted mercury vapor in busted HPS light  (Read 1273 times)
mefurd98

View Posts
View Gallery

Self ballasted mercury vapor in busted HPS light « on: October 30, 2018, 08:13:35 PM » Author: mefurd98
I have an HPS yard light that has a bad ballast in it. I was wondering if a self-ballasted MV bulb would work in it or would it destroy the bulb????
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self ballasted mercury vapor in busted HPS light « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:01:49 PM » Author: sol
Your safest bet would be to bypass the ballast and ignitor first so the lamp holder gets your normal mains voltage.

I'm not sure if SBMV lamps have a starting resistor or not (but I believe they do) so a hot restrike would obliterate it when the ignitor tries to strike the lamp. HPS is always pulse start.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Self ballasted mercury vapor in busted HPS light « Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 10:32:25 PM » Author: dor123
120V SBMV lamps, don't have starting resistors like the 230V SBMV lamps and regular MV lamps, but have preheating filaments instead, and a bi-metal that disconnects them several seconds after the lamp is lit. The restrike period of the lamp, is determined by this bi-metal, in which time it will take to return to preheating mode (Aka. closed).

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

mefurd98

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self ballasted mercury vapor in busted HPS light « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 03:26:32 PM » Author: mefurd98
Thanks! I've been wondering about that for a while. I just didn't want to kill one of my SBMV bulbs testing it out.  :)
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self ballasted mercury vapor in busted HPS light « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 04:41:33 PM » Author: sol
I’d still bypass the ballast just in case.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies