Author Topic: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements  (Read 4126 times)
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « on: November 07, 2018, 09:42:39 AM » Author: Flurofan96
Hey all  :)

When it comes to measuring or doing calculations, which measurement standard do you like to use or can understand very well. For me its definitely metric all the way except for speed which I prefer in miles per hour as our road signs in the UK are in mph for speed limit.

When it comes to temperature I cannot stand fahrenheit at all!! Makes no utter sense to me, for example I am so used to 0'C as for freezing and 100'C for boiling water. If someone said its 32 for freezing, its just not sounding right for me. Don't get me started on USA weather news displaying temperature in Fahrenheit  :D :D Celsius all for the win

Why I love metric is because it works in decimals or tens as we say and that way it makes far more sense

Best
Flurofan96

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 11:47:58 AM » Author: Medved
Hey all  :)

When it comes to measuring or doing calculations, which measurement standard do you like to use or can understand very well. For me its definitely metric all the way except for speed which I prefer in miles per hour as our road signs in the UK are in mph for speed limit.

When it comes to temperature I cannot stand fahrenheit at all!! Makes no utter sense to me, for example I am so used to 0'C as for freezing and 100'C for boiling water. If someone said its 32 for freezing, its just not sounding right for me. Don't get me started on USA weather news displaying temperature in Fahrenheit  :D :D Celsius all for the win

Why I love metric is because it works in decimals or tens as we say and that way it makes far more sense

Best
Flurofan96

As a native English speaker you will likely never encounter the fun of looking at main characters in many disaster and similar movies as complete idiots who need a calculator and many minutes to make "few multiplies by 10".
The point is, when the Holywood films are translated from English, it usually includes unit conversion to metrics. The original means usually conversion from volume to mass of water and/or pressure to load forces of vacuum/air. When done in Imperial, you need to use many obscure conversion factors between the common units, hence the calculator in the narrative. But when "translated" to metrics, all "conversion factors" became just 10 or 1000's and many long dramatic scenes start to look really funny...

No more selfballasted c***

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 04:12:40 PM » Author: marcopete87
Living in Italy, i use only metric system, and it is very fine for calculations .
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 09:25:46 PM » Author: takemorepills
In many of my past careers, we have used both standards:

-Automotive, in USA, most tools required will be metric, but standard was used a lot until recently. Capacities, ratings, pressures, power, speed, etc are all over the board. Not a problem though.

-Aircraft, most older stuff was standard, newer stuff metric crept in. I suspect that USA being the preeminent aircraft manufacturer in the past forced many foreign techs to bone-up on standard measurements and tools.

-Semiconductor manufacturing: weights in standard, flows and volumes in metric, micro measurements in standard usually, then many other measurements in engineering units such as angstroms or gauss.

It is just like being bi-lingual, no harm in multiple standards.

BTW, my previous car had a great function for driving outside of USA, it could switch over to metric, either wholly or partially (HVAC in C or F selectable separate from speed, fuel, range, etc) and because it used LCD instrument cluster, the switchover between Kmh and MPH was better than in cars with analog speedometer.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 05:11:17 AM » Author: dor123
I use only the metric measurements, and so that is in Israel in general.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 09:49:27 AM » Author: Rommie
With us here, it's good old imperial all the way; feet and inches, pounds and ounces, you name it..! And as for temperature, I hate it when the weather forecasters here only use degrees C, I just don't get it at all, when they say it's 25 degrees and it's warm, I think "no it's not, that's [censored] freezing"  :D

I suppose it's down to age, and what I was taught when growing up. The metric system was only just starting to appear when I was about 16 or so, and imperial has just stayed with me.

Incidentally, do you know why -18°C is regarded as the optimum temperature for a freezer..? Simply because it translates to 0°F so the Americans find it easier to understand  ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:52:39 AM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 10:44:13 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
With us here, it's good old imperial all the way; feet and inches, pounds and ounces, you name it..! And as for temperature, I hate it when the weather forecasters here only use degrees C, I just don't get it at all, when they say it's 25 degrees and it's warm, I think "no it's not, that's [censored] freezing"  :D

I suppose it's down to age, and what I was taught when growing up. The metric system was only just starting to appear when I was about 16 or so, and imperial has just stayed with me.

Incidentally, do you know why -18°C is regarded as the optimum temperature for a freezer..? Simply because it translates to 0°F so the Americans find it easier to understand 
;D
I'm with Ria on this I much prefer using imperial measurements, it used to drive my woodwork teacher at school mad when I used them instead of metric. I can visualise feet and inches, but I have problems when it come to metric. I lived in Germany for three years and couldn't wait to get back to using to what I think of as proper measurements.  8)

You can't translate the saying 'give them an inch and they'll take a mile' into metric. 'give them 2.5cm and they'll take 1.6km' doesn't have the same ring to it...  :D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 03:23:50 PM » Author: Michael
Here in Switzerland we use of course the metrical system. There are some exceptions for diametre as for gas (water) pipes and older armored cable conduit which are in inch.

But imagine, they wanted to change the lamp diametre designation to metric. So in the late 90s nineties T8 became T26, T5 was called T16 and very rarery T12 changed to T38.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 07:04:20 AM » Author: 589
Metric

:lps:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 08:27:02 AM » Author: Rommie
Metric
That surprises me, you being in the States and all  ???

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 05:08:28 PM » Author: High Intensity
I tend to use a mix of imperial and metric depending on what works the best for what i'm doing.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 08:09:10 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I'm with Ria on this I much prefer using imperial measurements, it used to drive my woodwork teacher at school mad when I used them instead of metric. I can visualise feet and inches, but I have problems when it come to metric. I lived in Germany for three years and couldn't wait to get back to using to what I think of as proper measurements.  8)

I think that I posted this in things that make you laugh, but I remember the immortal lines he uttered. "Wood doesn't grow on trees you know." meaning that the wood we were using was not free, but I think you'll find that wood does indeed come from trees.  :D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 11:19:04 PM » Author: Medved

-Semiconductor manufacturing: weights in standard, flows and volumes in metric, micro measurements in standard usually, then many other measurements in engineering units such as angstroms or gauss.

20 years in a semiconductor industry and not seen the Imperial units in use except for older IC package outlines and maybe the brutt wafer diameters. All the working structures in micrometers, the atom scale things in A...
I've heard about things like "Amis microns" (defined so to have 25000 of these to an inch, instead of the standard 25400 micrometers for an inch) being in use in the past, but once I joined, it was gone...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:22:47 PM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 11:26:34 PM » Author: 589
That surprises me, you being in the States and all  ???

Haha, we aren’t all the same over here lol! The metric system is much more logical and easier to navigate than the “standard” system (that’s what it is called here). All vehicles including domestic are metric with Harley being the only holdout that I know of. I barely have any standard tools in my possession either. The most infuriating is during the early 90’s many domestic cars were BOTH, RANDOMLY throughout the car (this includes my Jeep). So you needed two complete sets of tools to truly work on them. I generally just fudge it and use metric tools on standard fasteners anyway. I think since I have such a distaste for math metric also overcomes my nastalgic tendencies as well by alleviating the necessity of using annoying fractions. Go simple, go efficient, go metric!!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:28:05 PM by 589 » Logged

:lps:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Metric or Imperial standards/measurements « Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 12:22:23 PM » Author: Rommie
No, not here, I'm too entrenched in imperial. Ok I have no choice to use metric tools such as spanners, because most stuff comes with those fasteners now, and due to EU interference I can no longer buy food in imperial quantities either, which is extremely annoying. But I still think in pounds/ounces, feet/inches and pints/gallons etc. and that isn't going to change.

The really weird thing is that speed is still measured in miles per hour and fuel consumption in miles per gallon, even though petrol/diesel is sold in litres..! Hydrogen fuel, by the way (I love hydrogen cars) is sold by the kilogram, I have no idea on that one at all  :D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies