Author Topic: Is a Regent HPS bucket light worth getting?  (Read 2449 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Is a Regent HPS bucket light worth getting? « on: December 04, 2018, 10:30:26 PM » Author: Cole D.
So I thought about getting a Regent HPS bucket light. It's one of those white metal ones with built in photocell. It would cost me about $25, and it's used but has the box. I mostly want to get it because I don't have an HPS fixture and it's only 70W so I could run it in my room and not waste too much power. Plus it's relatively small and easy to store.

I thought about get a GE 201SA HPS but I already have a MV one and it's hard to find that or any other NEMA head in the lower 50 or 70W. One day I hope to get a cobra head but it can't happen right now. The Regent mini bucket should be easier to store too.

So what do you guys think? I know the ballast in these weren't that good, at least I heard the MV ones weren't with underdriven lamps, etc.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is a Regent HPS bucket light worth getting? « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 10:44:37 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
If you want it ,have room for it and can afford it GO FOR IT! assuming it works, not everyone has the room or cash for a cobra, large or small. how many times i've seen a fixture and thought "COOL, but where the hell am I gonna put it?" HOWEVER, if you can't live without it, GET IT! figure the rest out later

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Is a Regent HPS bucket light worth getting? « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 08:10:06 PM » Author: Cole D.
I thought about it and asked the seller if they could relist it, so they did and I bought it. It should get here next week. Now I'm thinking of getting a MH fixture, so I'll have all 3 HID types.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Is a Regent HPS bucket light worth getting? « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 11:07:33 PM » Author: M250R201SA
They make for a fun toy to play with, but that's about it.  A Regent fixture is like, how do I put this...?  going out to buy a beater car JUST TO RUN INTO THE GROUND!  You have no intentions on showing it off to your buddies, but you do intend to beat the ever living....crap.. out of it. 

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Is a Regent HPS bucket light worth getting? « Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 01:38:49 PM » Author: Cole D.
I'm probably going to keep this just for the collection since it's new in the box. If I ever put an HPS light outside it would probably be a cobra head or NEMA head.

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Is a Regent HPS bucket light worth getting? « Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 03:19:42 PM » Author: M250R201SA
If you're trying to get a brand new cobra head, better strike while the iron is still hot.  It seems like this LED upgrade is moving at a faster pace than I initially thought.  The utility here just goes around replacing random streetlights with Green Cobra GCJ, and GCM LED fixtures whether they work or not.  They just replaced the one outside of my house from HPS to LED, and the HPS worked fine.  #Aggressive

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Is a Regent HPS bucket light worth getting? « Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 03:47:04 PM » Author: Cole D.
If you're trying to get a brand new cobra head, better strike while the iron is still hot.  It seems like this LED upgrade is moving at a faster pace than I initially thought.  The utility here just goes around replacing random streetlights with Green Cobra GCJ, and GCM LED fixtures whether they work or not.  They just replaced the one outside of my house from HPS to LED, and the HPS worked fine.  #Aggressive

Hmm, well our utility company (Duke Energy) still replaces old HPS or MV cobras that stop working with the AEL 115 FCO cobras in HPS. Yet sometimes if it's a new pole or a new rental light where no light was, then they use LED, the AEL ATB0 80. The DOT here seems to still use AEL 125 drop lens for spot replacement and even AEL 115 for new poles sometimes unless its a mass changeout.

Although the co-op in my neighborhood replaces HPS NEMA heads for LED whenever the lamp or ballast goes bad. And all new ones are LED.

I'd like a cobra someday, but I don't have the room here at home. I do have one streetlight though, a GE 201SA MV. But I'd like to have an AEL 115 or an American Electric Series 25 cobras. And of course a GE Powr/Bracket.  :)

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Is a Regent HPS bucket light worth getting? « Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 08:50:13 PM » Author: M250R201SA
Is it an old or new model 201SA.  The old models have the GE logo and Made in USA on the mounting bracket

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Is a Regent HPS bucket light worth getting? « Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 11:12:50 PM » Author: Cole D.
Is it an old or new model 201SA.  The old models have the GE logo and Made in USA on the mounting bracket
It's 1987, you can see it here. I got the date code on the label.

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4742&pos=59&pid=151296
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4742&pos=92&pid=148502

I noticed there seems to be 3 generations of 201SA. First was more rounded and lower profile. Then the one like I have which was a more blocky style and sometimes painted gray like mine. And finally the 3rd which is still made today. That one has a different shape at the sides but still blocky. I heard in 2008 was when they moved to Mexico production, and of course MV was ended too.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies