Author Topic: Do you collect other things besides lighting??  (Read 9288 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the mechanical side of things

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #45 on: November 07, 2019, 12:59:52 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Where I live the library isn't very good when it comes to having a series of books, either not having the first book in it, or even worse in my opinion, finding that they haven't bothered to get the critical volume at the finish of the series. So for a long time I bought books to keep at home, and occasionally read again. Those have now gone to charity shops to make way for lamps.  Cool

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen)

There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber  -  US author, cartoonist, humourist, & satirist (1894 - 1961)

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Hunter

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #46 on: November 08, 2019, 10:09:30 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
Besides lighting, I collect fans (especialy old box fans), insulators, eletric motors, smoke detectors, thermostats and a lot of other stuff.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #47 on: November 08, 2019, 07:29:43 PM » Author: sol
I don't really collect locks but I have a set of ABUS locks engraved with the general electric logo from a general electric factory I do not have the keys but i picked them to control ant took out the cores. if anyone has ABUS cores let me know. but other then lighting I collect fire alarms, misc electrical stuff, cassette tapes, vinyl, reel-to-reel tapes.

If you picked to control to remove the cylinder, that means you most likely have what is a SFIC padlock (small format interchangeable core). Those were introduced by Best and have had clones for years. Many manufacturers make them, some with higher security than others. I believe Abus does not make them, only padlocks that accept them.

Abus does make what looks like a core in a restricted keyway. However, they are not really removable core per se because you secure them in with a screw in the shackle hole. No control key is required to install/remove as long as the shackle is open. The keyway 888 is readily available at reasonable prices online, but they won't fit a padlock that is designed for SFIC.

If you want, you can post a picture of the core removed from the padlock, and I can tell you what you have and what you need to get keys.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #48 on: November 10, 2019, 06:28:56 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Metal Halide Boy, what kind of electric motors do you like to collect?
As for me, I know it's lighting related, but seems as if I'm starting to accidentally collect ballasts. I'm
not a fan of collecting ballasts... I'm a fan of USING them. Sooo I want to get rid of a lot of them. haha

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #49 on: November 10, 2019, 07:50:48 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
As for me, I know it's lighting related, but seems as if I'm starting to accidentally collect ballasts. I'm
not a fan of collecting ballasts... I'm a fan of USING them. Sooo I want to get rid of a lot of them. haha
What ballasts do you want to get rid of?

Don't be fooLED, T8 IS the worst thing to do to a magnetic T12 fixture.

lifeguard

View Posts
View Gallery

Lights are cool.

UCyIrG0EIp_p0mrj2TXioGrg
Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #50 on: November 10, 2019, 07:10:49 PM » Author: lifeguard
I collect switches, receptacles, and other small wiring things as it's a good alternative to lights because of space.

I know info for switches and receptacles from the 60's or before. I stopped collecting lights.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #51 on: November 14, 2019, 04:02:10 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Thinking back, I used to collect beer mats. Smiley

There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Hunter

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #52 on: November 15, 2019, 08:20:01 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
Mostly small comuutator motors. But, my collection of large induction motors (wich are my faverouite) is growing. By the way, do you have a 120v 50w murcury vapor ballast that you can give away?
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #53 on: November 15, 2019, 08:45:58 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
I have several interests. I don't necessarily collect all of them. My first interest when I was very little was ceiling fans. I'm still interested in fans but not so much ceiling fans. I like tabletop and floor stand oscillating fans. It's the older ones with the blue blades and metal blade cage that I like though. Galaxy was one brand that had fans with blue blades. I like the old amber/brown colored blade fans too. I don't collect fans though. I have a couple. I'm not too interested in them. Once in a while every year or two I'll go through a short fan interest phase. Never really acted on it though and started collecting.

Irrigation/sprinklers is the interest I have held the longest. Shortly after my fan interest when I was really little I became interested in sprinklers. To this day I'm still as interested in them. I have a collection of sprinklers but nothing extremely vintage. Oldest stuff I have is 70's-80's.

Streetlights started when I was in high school. I used to look at streetlights when I was a kid but it wasn't until high school I started buying/collecting them. My collection about 5 years or so ago was like half a dozen cobraheads. Plus a few other fixtures. Within a few years later the collection grew to over 70 cobraheads.

Another interest I have is barricade lights. I have owned many over the years. Currently I have a stock of some NOS lights. Plus a few others I have purchased on eBay.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #54 on: November 15, 2019, 11:21:36 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
Got any "smudge pots"?

No I don't have any. I have seen pictures of them on the barricade lights group I'm a member of on Facebook though. They don't seem to interest me. I'm into barricade lights. Not so much the older vintage ones though. I like modern barricade lights. Empco-Lite is my favorite manufacturer. The only older lights I really like are the Paralta and Night Flashers. Those are what I currently have stock of. I have like 40 NOS Night Flashers with amber lenses and white bases. I also have I think 20 NOS Pyra Lite barricade lights, amber lenses and yellow bases. I have those on eBay for sale. I don't have really any Empco-Lite barricade lights at the moment but maybe one. I have had many in the past. Gonna order more eventually.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #55 on: November 15, 2019, 03:42:28 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Those older barricade lights had humongous lens. The old smudge pot was all there was until the early-mid sixties when there was a road barricade. Looking back, it seems ancient.

Not really I think my Paralta and Night Flasher lights are about the same size as a modern Empco-Lite.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #56 on: November 27, 2019, 10:10:43 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Metal Halide Boy, Maaaannn, I wish I had 50w Mercury Vapor ballasts, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.
Especially since I'm moving. After the move, who knows. Smiley
@Fluorescent05, I've got a ton of HPF Trigger Start ballasts for smaller lamps, and HPF PL-L ballasts for 18 watt
lamps, that I still want to get rid of lol

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #57 on: November 27, 2019, 10:14:46 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I think I might start collecting vintage and antique tools, having won this in a recent eBay action, I'm off to a good start.  Cool

rlshieldjr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #58 on: December 28, 2019, 10:28:14 PM » Author: rlshieldjr
I collect locks and keys, but not like lighting or electrical related.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #59 on: December 29, 2019, 06:02:00 AM » Author: sol
Cool ! I do too. What are your favourite brands ?
Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines