Author Topic: Why do Duke Energy replace some fixture with LED but usually HPS  (Read 1530 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Why do Duke Energy replace some fixture with LED but usually HPS « on: December 30, 2018, 01:48:05 PM » Author: Cole D.
I noticed lately that Duke Energy replaces most rental HPS lights with LED AEL ATB0 if they need service. But some rental lights they still use the AEL 115 FCO HPS instead since I can tell they're still shiny.

Also usually if they replace a street light that's HPS, they stay with the AEL 115 FCO HPS. Only if it's a brand new pole they use the LED instead. However last summer they were working on poles and used the AEL 115 HPS on the new ones anyway.

My guess is they use HPS for most street light replacement is because it's easier on the eyes for night driving since the color is the same as the others. Just like how DOT only uses HPS for spot replacement, and LED only if it's a mass changeover. But even for lights on new poles DOT will still use AEL 115 HPS even when there were no lights before. Yet sometimes at new intersections and construction they use LED when there were no lights before.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 01:50:19 PM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Why do Duke Energy replace some fixture with LED but usually HPS « Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 05:01:19 PM » Author: mdcastle
Probably have a stock of new HPS fixtures in inventory and are installing them rather than throwing them away still new in their boxes. Rights some trucks have these HPS fixtures and some trucks have LED fixtures.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do Duke Energy replace some fixture with LED but usually HPS « Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 06:54:13 PM » Author: wattMaster
Probably have a stock of new HPS fixtures in inventory and are installing them rather than throwing them away still new in their boxes. Rights some trucks have these HPS fixtures and some trucks have LED fixtures.
I'm not so sure of that, since DE here has installed LED in one area around here for a while, but still installs brand new HPS in place of old HPS fixtures.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies