Author Topic: US outdoor lights.  (Read 1094 times)
Lancs Lad

View Posts
View Gallery

US outdoor lights. « on: January 06, 2019, 10:00:16 AM » Author: Lancs Lad
Hello everyone.

New member - First message!

I'm in the UK, and am a little confused by some of the terminology used on this site!

Wallpack.

Yardblaster.

Rental.

Can anyone explain what those words mean, please?

Thankyou,

Peter.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: US outdoor lights. « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 10:42:12 AM » Author: Cole D.
Hello everyone.

I'm in the UK, and am a little confused by some of the terminology used on this site!

Wallpack.

Yardblaster.

Rental.

Thankyou,

Peter.

Welcome!

To answer your question, a wallpack is usually a rectangular light fixture mounted to a wall. This usually contains a ballast and either an HID lamp such as MH, MV or HPS, or a compact fluorescent. More lately LED.

Rentals are fixtures rented from an electric power provider, either for a home or business. These fixtures are usually of a utility grade. They may be what we call a cobra head, a NEMA head or a flood light fixture. Sometimes also a ballast in arm type fixture. Usually these use a MV or HPS lamp, or lately LED. The power provider owns and maintains the light fixture.

A yardblaster is a household area light fixture that can be bought at a home center or hardware store. They are similar to a commercial NEMA head fixture. The main difference is a NEMA head has a clip on reflector, but most yardblasters use a screw on reflector. Earlier ones, however were usually clip on type. These fixtures usually use a lower quality ballast and are overall cheaper made than a commercial NEMA fixture.

Here is an example of a NEMA head on the left and yardblaster on the right. You can see a NEMA head usually has a larger reflector (12") with clip on attachment. A yardblaster usually has a screw on reflector and often a smaller reflector of 9". Although, some higher wattage yardblasters use the larger 12" reflector.
http://www.galleryoflights.org/mb/gallery/displayimage.php?album=345&pos=3
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:49:35 AM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: US outdoor lights. « Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 10:15:55 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Welcome to LG!

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: US outdoor lights. « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 02:30:52 AM » Author: dor123
Hello everyone.

Wallpack.

Yardblaster.

Rental.

Thankyou,

Peter.

Wallpack: The US name for a wall mounted fixture that lights its surrounding. It usually have HID lamps like mercury, low or high pressure sodium or metal halide lamps and currently also LED.
Yardblasters: The US name for their outdoor residential, bucket shaped light fixtures that are used for security lighting. Residential version of the "NEMA head" which is a commercial version of these bucket shaped lights that are used for their street lighting.
Rental: I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:01:36 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies