Author Topic: HPS Lamp Colors  (Read 2245 times)
flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

HPS Lamp Colors « on: January 10, 2019, 07:36:36 PM » Author: flyoffacliff
I noticed at dusk when a group of HPS lamps starts up at the same time, some come on at a low brightness to a dim dark orange color, and some come on to a bluish mercury color before warming up. Why is this? It seems like cyclers usually do a bluish startup, so maybe it has to do with the age of the lamp?
Oddly, it seems to always be one or the other, no in between.

Also there is an area with 9 HPS post lights near me, and they never cycle for more than a week or so at EOL (sometimes not at all), they just flicker randomly for a while and then continuously glow a very dim orange color. Is this a different type of starter or something that causes this EOL behavior?

Thanks
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: HPS Lamp Colors « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 08:42:11 PM » Author: Cole D.
I noticed the HPS NEMA heads here usually do glow a bit blue at startup, so I think it does have to do with age. But my Regent area light seems to be brand new and the lamp on that too glows blue at startup, so I'm not sure if it has to be a bulb with a lot of use to do it.

Also, I notice some of the HPS cobras here glow blue all the time when they go EOL. They look a lot like MV if you didn't know better.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: HPS Lamp Colors « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:43:47 AM » Author: dor123
Old or cycling HPS lamps, run-up more bluish than new HPS lamps. But non-cycling HPS lamps always run-up bluish even when new.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Lamp Colors « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:32:38 PM » Author: flyoffacliff
I noticed the HPS NEMA heads here usually do glow a bit blue at startup, so I think it does have to do with age. But my Regent area light seems to be brand new and the lamp on that too glows blue at startup, so I'm not sure if it has to be a bulb with a lot of use to do it.

Also, I notice some of the HPS cobras here glow blue all the time when they go EOL. They look a lot like MV if you didn't know better.

That's interesting. I rarely see that with HPS here, if anything, it glows dim orange at EOL.

Old or cycling HPS lamps, run-up more bluish than new HPS lamps. But non-cycling HPS lamps always run-up bluish even when new.

So they all start blue, but the older the lamp, the longer it stays bluish?
I wounder what changes in the arc tube cause this. I'd think it would do the opposite.
AFAIK, a lamp cycles when the arc tube pressure gets too high and the ballast can't provide enough current. If the old lamps start more bluish, doesn't that mean the arc tube pressure is lower?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Lamp Colors « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 11:44:33 PM » Author: dor123
The lamp cycle when the its voltage rise beyond the limit of the ballast.
With regular HPS lamps, the lamp run-up bluish only when old or cycling. But non-cycling HPS lamps (The ones that lights mercury color at EOL), always starts bluish even when new, and retains their color until the last sodium has been consumed.
HPS lamps can glow dim LPS color if the outer bulb lost vacuum, or if the arctube leaks.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Lamp Colors « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 11:58:25 PM » Author: flyoffacliff
The lamp cycle when the its voltage rise beyond the limit of the ballast.
With regular HPS lamps, the lamp run-up bluish only when old or cycling. But non-cycling HPS lamps (The ones that lights mercury color at EOL), always starts bluish even when new, and retains their color until the last sodium has been consumed.
HPS lamps can glow dim LPS color if the outer bulb lost vacuum, or if the arctube leaks.

Cool, that makes sense, thanks! I never heard of non-cycling lamps before. Thought ballasts could be non-cycling though.
flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Lamp Colors « Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 12:12:15 AM » Author: flyoffacliff
I know a restaurant that converted their parking lot to LED a few years ago, and a lone HPS floodlight got left behind on one of the poles. I timed it years ago and it was about 2 minutes per cycle. Now it's around 50 seconds per cycle, but amazingly still working after YEARS!
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Lamp Colors « Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 12:12:46 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
The streetlight infront of my place has an EOL HPS lamp and it has been burning a steady mercury vapour colour for many years now. Lamp is about 8 years old and lost its sodium colour after about 2 years. It quickly went from orange to pink to white and eventually to mv colour in a matter of months. It still lights up reliably each night and doesn't cycle.

Administrator #5

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: HPS Lamp Colors « Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 04:42:47 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
The streetlight infront of my place has an EOL HPS lamp and it has been burning a steady mercury vapour colour for many years now. Lamp is about 8 years old and lost its sodium colour after about 2 years. It quickly went from orange to pink to white and eventually to mv colour in a matter of months. It still lights up reliably each night and doesn't cycle.

I've seen similar occurrences. It is quite nice.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Lamp Colors « Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 08:31:58 AM » Author: dor123
I've seen only very few cases here in Israel, where HPS changes to bluish mercury color without cycling like at the heart of Shprinzak neighborhood: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-144825 , But these weren't unsaturated HPS lamps.
The majority of HPS lamps I've seen here, that don't reaching sodium color, always cycles: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-147749

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies