Author Topic: Type and amount of UV emmision needed to cause a mercury lamp to glow pink  (Read 1621 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Type and amount of UV emmision needed to cause a mercury lamp to glow pink « on: January 14, 2019, 08:05:29 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
What amount of UV and what type is needed to perform such a task.... At some point in the future I would like to get a hold of a burnt out BT shaped mercury Lamp, cut it open at the neck and  put in some sort of UV emmision source that would make it constantly glow that wonderful pink color... Would a germicidal or UV LED lamp work? After building a new internal structure I would like to reseal the lamp with whatever new source is in the there... So it'd look "authentic" aside from the intern construction...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:11:02 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Type and amount of UV emmision needed to cause a mercury lamp to glow pink « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 05:30:43 PM » Author: Lumex120
A germicidal fluorescent would work best.

Unofficial LG Discord

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Type and amount of UV emmision needed to cause a mercury lamp to glow pink « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:09:39 AM » Author: 589
Nice idea!

:lps:

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Type and amount of UV emmision needed to cause a mercury lamp to glow pink « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 04:41:13 PM » Author: Medved
Do I miss something or is this some de-ja-vu? I'm convinced this was already somewhere answered by either Max or James (I don't remember anymore who exactly), pointing to even any blacklight (fluoro or even LED) as a sufficient exciter, but recommended to better use a new MV lamp as a starting material for this, to have the phosphor fresh...

My point: I would try to not use any dangerous UV, first to not have problems with ozone (not only for health as you expect it to be sealed, but as well to avoid glue and other internal parts degradation), second to not have problems with dangerous UV spill (your assembly wont be by far as perfect as the original). So better stick with some of the blacklight, these are safe, both for you, as well as for the plastic components you will have to put inside.

No more selfballasted c***

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Type and amount of UV emmision needed to cause a mercury lamp to glow pink « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 08:52:27 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'm unsure but thankyou for the replies guys. I don't know when I will do this.... I need to get my hands on a diamond saw and some way to bond glass back together, but I will use this as a reference.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies