Author Topic: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore?  (Read 3768 times)
d0minat0ra

View Posts
View Gallery

Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « on: January 24, 2019, 08:31:09 AM » Author: d0minat0ra
Hello everyone i have this lamp installed in my basement since 2000y but since i have seen even 100w incandescent to explodes i start scare for this happened, what do you  thinking about that is it safe  19y later or i must change it already?

The lamp works completely fine after 19y of use, model is Tungsram 200w made in Hungary is this a good lamp or not ?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:37:22 AM by d0minat0ra » Logged
magslight

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 01:22:15 PM » Author: magslight
No worry. You can still use that lamp. It's probably better than a new lamp from PRC and Tungsram made really good lamps.
d0minat0ra

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 01:43:36 PM » Author: d0minat0ra
No worry. You can still use that lamp. It's probably better than a new lamp from PRC and Tungsram made really good lamps.
Thanks for answer ;)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 03:54:10 AM » Author: Medved
Incandescents do explode the same way and at the same rate as they did all the time there was gas fill in them (so most 40W and all above that).
So this lamp will not be any less safe than any other incandescent. So replacing for other one the risk won't change at all.
If the fixture covers the lamp, you have nothing to worry about at all, it will contain the fragments with ease. The "explosions" are in facts not that much explosions per se, but rather the glass shattering (due to the thermal shock) and the fragments then showering down. Unlike with HIDs or halogens, the regular incandescents have no pressure to give to the fragments any significant kinetic energy.

No more selfballasted c***

d0minat0ra

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 04:08:47 AM » Author: d0minat0ra
Incandescents do explode the same way and at the same rate as they did all the time there was gas fill in them (so most 40W and all above that).
So this lamp will not be any less safe than any other incandescent. So replacing for other one the risk won't change at all.
If the fixture covers the lamp, you have nothing to worry about at all, it will contain the fragments with ease. The "explosions" are in facts not that much explosions per se, but rather the glass shattering (due to the thermal shock) and the fragments then showering down. Unlike with HIDs or halogens, the regular incandescents have no pressure to give to the fragments any significant kinetic energy.
No,the fixture is very old and open,if we're closed i wouldn't worry at all. and if decide to change i will go for led maybe not incandescent.

something like this only socket,no cover at all,like i said very old probable mid-80 when the building was built.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 04:00:19 PM by d0minat0ra » Logged
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 08:36:47 AM » Author: funkybulb
are you running on 120 volt?

in 240 volt world the lamp can arc over on argon
 gas fill.  this one of reason lamps have fuses
  to prevent  a sustaining arc.  but on 120 volt
  it lot harder to strike and arc up on EOL .
    i have problems with 120 v miniture lamps
  and halogen bulbs with glass capule.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

d0minat0ra

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 08:39:36 AM » Author: d0minat0ra
240v
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:13:15 PM by d0minat0ra » Logged
d0minat0ra

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 04:28:02 PM » Author: d0minat0ra

https://youtu.be/3DMUm5PZ0hU?t=219
this looks so powerful
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 04:34:41 PM by d0minat0ra » Logged
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 02:26:44 PM » Author: Medved
https://youtu.be/3DMUm5PZ0hU?t=219
this looks so powerful

Well, this is everything but normal EOL. If you abuse it by 10x overvoltage, it will exlode that way.
But I was speaking about an arc after normal filament breakage at normal operating voltage, in normal household installations (so with short circuit currents below 6kA).

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 07:44:35 PM » Author: dor123
If your lamp have double fuse or a balotini fuse at the stem, you are safe.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

d0minat0ra

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 02:01:55 AM » Author: d0minat0ra
If your lamp have double fuse or a balotini fuse at the stem, you are safe.

is this a ballotini fuse?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 03:28:56 AM by d0minat0ra » Logged
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 03:33:04 AM » Author: Medved

is this a ballotini fuse?

Yes.

But dont assume they are 100% efficient in preventing glass shattering. Ive seen many lamps with pair of these fuses and still the glass went into pieces.

But the good thing is, the filament tend to breakat the moment of the greatest stress and that is mainly when warming up (the half second after power up) and then cooling down. The later may form just a tiny gap, which then breaks down electrically when powered up and so set the arc as well. Either case the falling glass event will happen (if at all) virtually only at power up. And at that moment you very likely wont be directly underneath the lamp, so the glass wont reach you...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 03:40:38 AM by Medved » Logged

d0minat0ra

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 03:59:04 AM » Author: d0minat0ra
Yes.

But dont assume they are 100% efficient in preventing glass shattering. Ive seen many lamps with pair of these fuses and still the glass went into pieces.

But the good thing is, the filament tend to breakat the moment of the greatest stress and that is mainly when warming up (the half second after power up) and then cooling down. The later may form just a tiny gap, which then breaks down electrically when powered up and so set the arc as well. Either case the falling glass event will happen (if at all) virtually only at power up. And at that moment you very likely wont be directly underneath the lamp, so the glass wont reach you...

But the bad thing is switch on/off key  is just underneath it..
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 04:08:09 AM » Author: Medved
But the bad thing is switch on/off key  is just underneath it..

I guess just beside the entry door there. So then just reach there by hand whenstying just behind and if ir lights up, you enter. And if it pops, you retract the hand before the glass falls on it.

d0minat0ra

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to use this lamp nowadays anymore? « Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 04:31:21 AM » Author: d0minat0ra
I guess just beside the entry door there. So then just reach there by hand whenstying just behind and if ir lights up, you enter. And if it pops, you retract the hand before the glass falls on it.

yes you are absolutely right just beside the entry door,and yes that's what i do and have been doing over these years.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies