Author Topic: vintage louvered 4' t12 light  (Read 2203 times)
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
vintage louvered 4' t12 light « on: January 31, 2019, 06:11:51 PM » Author: Walter Knox
i got 3 of these lights in an abandoned house. i have one of them on my cieiling and am goint to try to sell the other 2. the one i am using and one other one have newer balasts on them(shown in picture) i also have 4 westinghouse black end bulbs in it. i also attached a picture of one of the original ballasts which do work but get very hot so i have a hard time trusting them. does anybody know how old these are, how much i could sell them fore, and who made them?
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: vintage louvered 4' t12 light « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 06:57:39 PM » Author: Walter Knox
picture
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: vintage louvered 4' t12 light « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 06:58:20 PM » Author: Walter Knox
picture
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: vintage louvered 4' t12 light « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 06:59:16 PM » Author: Walter Knox
pictures.
vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: vintage louvered 4' t12 light « Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 08:21:25 AM » Author: vintagefluorescent
 Hello, Thanks for saving these,

Westinghouse black Enders are becoming collectible
So would recommend keeping the bulbs ,as they may be collectible they don’t have a cash value right now

You’re fixtures appear to have Ben made in the late 1950s to early 1960s is my best guess,

The fixtures may bring $10 - $50 each in my opinion I would recommend selling them locally on consignment or a yard sale,

If You’re fixture is going to be a daily user and You want to keep it all original or as original as You can I personally would keep the one with the original ballasts , disconnect the ballast leave it in place and install a new ballast or ballast in the channel with them,

As for the manufacturers names so many companies made these lights back in the day - I don’t know,

These are nice lights thank You for saving them and the westy bulbs,

Hope this helps :)

quote author=Marryann Claritan link=topic=7100.msg58393#msg58393 date=1548979059]
picture
[/quote]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:25:54 AM by vintagefluorescent » Logged
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: vintage louvered 4' t12 light « Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 08:50:01 AM » Author: Walter Knox
i have an inferred thermometer, about how hot should the original Westinghouse ballasts get? they are rapid start and they were running the 34 watt bulbs on them and i have heard that is bad. is that bad, if so could that have damaged that, and how hot is too hot for the ballast? i tried running both the EconoWatt bulbs and regular 40 watt bulbs and they still get just as hot.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: vintage louvered 4' t12 light « Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 10:29:07 AM » Author: funkybulb
ballast do get quite warm.  140 to 160 degrees are normal long run operating temprature of any magnetic
ballast.   90 C is max rating but if you put drop of water
on your ballast and it boils off that means ballast is overheating.  the winding is breaking down.  yes the 
34 watt lamps can just tip the ballast  over.
when fixture is 50 or 60 years old it mean the 34 watt
lamps have not came out yet. it came out in 1970s
during energy crisis of mid 1970s when ballast at that
time when it came out is full power 40 watts. 34 watt
can kill them it because it have lower arc voltage and higher lamp current.  It make ballast work harder.  newer ballast in that time esp after 1980s compenstate this and reduce power to lamp.  also this underdrives the F40s by 10 to 15 percent.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies