Author Topic: 4 tube art deco half pipes  (Read 2973 times)
refridgedude1841

View Posts
View Gallery

4 tube art deco half pipes « on: February 08, 2019, 12:55:10 PM » Author: refridgedude1841
Should I try and get these?

vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 tube art deco half pipes « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 06:16:19 PM » Author: vintagefluorescent
Yes!!! You should get them , Don’t let the broken end caps be a deal breaker - There are at least 6 different types of Art Deco end caps that I’m aware of that were made back in the 1940s
That will fit this pertiquler fluorescent light fixture

These look like the more desirable 2 footers ,You can’t go wrong because sooner or later You will find a nice pair of deco end caps to go on that light 💡👍

If I were You I would Grab’m 👍💡
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 06:44:57 PM by vintagefluorescent » Logged
vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 tube art deco half pipes « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 06:34:54 PM » Author: vintagefluorescent
Yes!!! You should get them , Don’t let the broken end caps be a deal breaker - There are at least 6 different types of Art Deco end caps that I’m aware of that were made back in the 1940s
That will fit this pertiquler fluorescent light fixture

These look like the more desirable 2 footers ,You can’t go wrong because sooner or later You will find a nice pair of deco end caps to go on that light 💡👍

If I were You - I would grab’m 👍
refridgedude1841

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 tube art deco half pipes « Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:14:26 PM » Author: refridgedude1841
Only the one has the one missing piece on the end cap.  The other one has both endcaps intact.  The tombstone is also cracked but looks fixable.  Have to see if they will let me take them down.  What's a reasonable price? 

They are the 2 footers. 
vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 tube art deco half pipes « Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 02:34:01 PM » Author: vintagefluorescent
A fair price for the pair $150 or less,

If endcaps were perfect then $200 max for the pair,

Due to the fragile nature of those pot metal endcaps please
Be sure to gently remove the endcaps from the lights before placing the fixtures in Youre vehicle, and put Youre endcaps in a safe place Till You have Youre fixtures hung up ,

If You accidentally break the endcaps while removing it no worries
The fixtures themselves are worth the money and as I mentioned
Nice endcaps can still be found ,

Judging from what I can see - 1 of Youre lights looks to have 4 seperate ballasts and Youre other appears to have 2 lamp ballasts

I’m excited For You 👍 Good luck 💡
refridgedude1841

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 tube art deco half pipes « Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 03:26:14 PM » Author: refridgedude1841
Got them. Will post pics later (soon as I can figure out how to reduce the file size on my phone lol)

They both kinda work....as in both light 3 of 4 tubes.  But the one tube on one of them when it lights it sounds like a fire alarm buzzer.  I've never heard a ballast buzz so loudly.   But it lights and amp draw must not be crazy high since I have a 1 amp fuse in line and it's not blowing. 

It's the one that looks like it has 4 single ballasts so maybe an easy fix. Havent opened that one yet.

The other one I did open and it's got 2 two lamp just as you suspected.  Can those ballasts fail and only light 1 tube?  Would have thought it would be both or nothing.  I did check connections to the tombstones and they appear good.  Have to mess with it more. 

vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 tube art deco half pipes « Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:47:53 PM » Author: vintagefluorescent
Great !!! You got them ,

To answer You’re questions Yes it’s possible to have a loud hummer ballast , I have a few single and Tu Lamp loud hummers
One of them Whitch does quite down after it’s had a chance to warm up and Yes it’s possible on a tu lamp ballast to have 1 side of the ballast dead ,

If You’re looking to keep the fixtures all original like I do . Disconnect wires From the bad ballast and install a new ballast in the channel leaving Youre originals ballasts in place, There’s usually plenty of room to do this ,

Also, Did You mention awhile back that You do refrigeration work?

I used to do refrigeration work on the old 1950s mom and pop supermarkets and loved it ,

Also fell in love with and saved a lot of vintage air cooled belt drive refrigeration condensing units many years ago when people were getting rid of them  one of them dates back to 1918 with an open century motor it’s a small ammonia machine probably 300 btu’s😜
The condenser coils are nothing more then copper spirals on each side of the compressor as they
Didn’t know how to make slab coils Yet ,

Anyway - Glad You got Youre lights - 👍💡!!! Enjoy !!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:56:47 PM by vintagefluorescent » Logged
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 tube art deco half pipes « Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 12:07:52 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Awesome! Good that you got them! :D
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies