Author Topic: Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior  (Read 4032 times)
Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior « on: February 13, 2019, 01:53:17 PM » Author: Miles
I've got a couple of 160W Philips (Canadian origin) Self-Ballasted MV lamps running in outdoor "barn" lights. They're NOS, but after a while of use, they start to randomly cycle. One took 7-8 months, one took 1 month the other 3 weeks before acting up.

Anyone knows what could be the issue?

They're not burning out and the cycling is random, some nights will be constant ON / OFF / ON / OFF and other night steadily burning. Could the bimetallic strip be malfunctioning in these? Something is causing them to extinguish. I don't believe it's the sockets.
refridgedude1841

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 02:50:27 PM » Author: refridgedude1841
Low voltage maybe? 
Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior « Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 04:11:13 PM » Author: Miles
I don't believe so, I've tested them on other sockets and fixtures, same thing happens.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior « Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 10:06:17 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
have you checked your voltage with a meter ? I've found SBMV's are a little tempremental when is comes to fluctuations / spikes in voltage . and yes, it could be something defective with the lamps ! GOOD LUCK! :mv: :mv:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior « Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 04:12:25 PM » Author: Miles
127V at the socket, steady. Same tested in a portable socket, and in another fixture too.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior « Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 04:24:17 AM » Author: Medved
Does the operating position match the lamp rating? They use to be sensitive on that.
Mainly when worn out.

No more selfballasted c***

Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior « Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 05:50:36 PM » Author: Miles
Hmmm there isn't any marking suggesting base up or down, but they're operating base up, which I think would be fine.
Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior « Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 10:11:57 PM » Author: Keyless
What voltage are the lamps rated?

I don't know how well MV lamps tolerate over voltage, but a 127/220 volt system will have a higher nominal then a 120/208 volt system. 
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior « Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 12:41:23 AM » Author: dor123
Self-ballasted mercury lamps, are intended to operate in BU. Horizontal position, may cause them to cycle, and both horizontal and BD shorts their lifespan significantly.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior « Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 03:54:51 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Isn't that only for lower wattage SBMV lamps?

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior « Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 05:22:36 AM » Author: dor123
The filament of 160W SBMV lamps is the same single coiled design as the 500W, so I expects that the high wattage ones would also being limited to at least vertical burning position.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Behavior « Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 01:10:46 PM » Author: Rommie
The filament of 160W SBMV lamps is the same single coiled design as the 500W, so I expects that the high wattage ones would also being limited to at least vertical burning position.
The burning positions quoted by manufacturers seems to vary on this. I have several which are definitely quoted as universal burning, but the Philips 160W ones I just bought quite clearly state on the packaging that they are vertical plus or minus 30 degrees, cap up OR down.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies