Author Topic: What vintage Mercury Vapo(u)r lights are still in service in your area?  (Read 3647 times)
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

What vintage Mercury Vapo(u)r lights are still in service in your area? « on: March 06, 2019, 03:04:05 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
For me:

4 Westinghouse OV-25s
GE Post Top.

That's it lol.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What vintage Mercury Vapo(u)r lights are still in service in your area? « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 06:35:12 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I recently discovered a string of M-250A split-doors on a access road along I-71 in Columbus

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What vintage Mercury Vapo(u)r lights are still in service in your area? « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 06:42:03 PM » Author: Lumex120
There's some 250w MV bracket fixtures and 175w MV NEMA's as rental lights. Xcel says in the rental light form that mercury and HPS lights will be maintained and kept unless the ballast fails. I know of some really dim rental lights but they aren't on my property so I'm not going to report them.
There's also a few 400w MV cobraheads tucked away in some parts of Minneapolis. Apparently they are city owned and should be safe from LED replacement. They are still maintained, too.

Unofficial LG Discord

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What vintage Mercury Vapo(u)r lights are still in service in your area? « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 09:58:58 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I remember two 400w MV Revere 2600s at the United States Post Office in my city but sadly when the lamps went, they also went. :( They got replaced by LED waffles. There's another with 8ft turrets that got converted to 4x F32T8 and a 400w MV LM Unistyle that still works but has a dim lamp.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What vintage Mercury Vapo(u)r lights are still in service in your area? « Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 03:19:09 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
There is more mercury fixtures in service in my area than i could count on my fingers and toes.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What vintage Mercury Vapo(u)r lights are still in service in your area? « Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 06:40:06 PM » Author: Cole D.
First, great thread!  ;)

In my neighborhood, there a GE P17 post top which is used most nights. There also two earlier GE post tops but not sure if they still used. Plus a NEMA head rental that's still bright. And a couple of McGraw Handyman fixtures that work every night at a few houses, plus one on Pizza Hut and two at an AT&T store.

Downtown there are some GE 101SA and some AEL L series NEMAs, and a couple of Westy Viscount NEMAs. There are two Westy OV-25 2nd gens that I know of and a 1964 GE M-400 that all still work well. And finally some American Electric Series 25s and two early 60s AE 15-000. Oh and another neighborhood has two Westinghouse RMA NEMA fixtures, both are pretty dim and one is missing its refractor. Also there are a couple of GE M-250R2s that are really dimmed out at another neighborhood. Plus some houses have some MV yardblasters and I seen one on a church, all are bright, one runs 24/7.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:48:55 PM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What vintage Mercury Vapo(u)r lights are still in service in your area? « Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 09:58:19 PM » Author: joseph_125
There's a good number of mostly privately owned mercury fixtures left around the GTA even though streetlighting is pretty much all HPS, MH or LED since the early 90s.

Around here I see some older office buildings and malls that still have 100-175w recessed mercury vapour cans over the entrances and sometimes in the lobby/corridors. There's a subway station that has 175w mercury recessed sqaures with reflector lamps on the concourse level. Ironically I think all the fluorescents there got T8 LED tubes. Some of the older subway stations also have 175-400w Unistyles, M250s, etc lighting the entrances and bus loop areas. Finally there's a few post tops in some parks that I swear are running 175w MV instead of MH.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: What vintage Mercury Vapo(u)r lights are still in service in your area? « Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 01:29:44 AM » Author: Silverliner
Los Angeles and a number of surrounding cities still have a good number of mercury vapor street lights, and they are still maintained. Mostly cobraheads, but they also come in decorative lights. Here, where I live, two freeway overpasses have mercury soffit lights underneath. That's it, aside from parking lots.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Alaprine

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What vintage Mercury Vapo(u)r lights are still in service in your area? « Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 04:28:10 AM » Author: Alaprine
For clear mercury-vapor? Mainly NEMA heads, usually in residential zones but rarely in a commercial area. For color-corrected mercury vapor, there are many more, including some NEMA heads. A few modern fixtures, surprisingly use mercury-vapor ( color corrected ).
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies