Author Topic: Exploding Incandescent Lamp  (Read 6871 times)
sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 04:12:42 PM » Author: sparkie
@sparkie this might sound like a dumb question,but was it an incandescent lamp? ???

Yes it was! A 40w GE golf ball shaped bulb to be exact - in the base of a lava lamp.
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 09:31:15 PM » Author: FGS
I had one that exploded. It was a Philips 90w Econ-o-watt inside frosted lamp. The cause was weird. The outer glass had a very slow leaking hairline crack. I left it on and later in the day I found the bulb had gone black and shattered!

Thought the Econ-o-Watt label were for fluoros lamps. Never seen a incandescent econ-o-watt lamp. Do you have a pic of it and the box? So I can recognize them when I see it.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 02:42:35 AM » Author: Silverliner
FGS, I'll post a pic of an NOS 80s Philips 90w Econowatt with its 2 bulb sleeve in a day or two. Yes Econ-o-watt was applied to reduced wattage incandescents also.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Mr. Big
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 09:16:24 AM » Author: Mr. Big
I remember, in one particular hotel I stayed in one time, the bulbs were weird! They were Philips surge proof bulbs, that was the only place I saw them!
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 06:13:24 PM » Author: don93s
Not too long ago, I bought a new GE quartz halogen flood and had it lit for about a day without any problem. Then I left for a few hours.....while the lamp was dimmed on a variac controlled fixture, came back, and noticed the lamp stopped working. I looked at the lamp and noticed that the quartz tube inside was shattered to a million pieces. I returned the lamp to Lowes and got my money back!
Mr. Big
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 08:19:37 PM » Author: Mr. Big
Not too long ago, I bought a new GE quartz halogen flood and had it lit for about a day without any problem. Then I left for a few hours.....while the lamp was dimmed on a variac controlled fixture, came back, and noticed the lamp stopped working. I looked at the lamp and noticed that the quartz tube inside was shattered to a million pieces. I returned the lamp to Lowes and got my money back!

and knowing Lowes, they probably put it back on the shelf!
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 10:23:47 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Reminds me of when I plugged on christmas lights when I was 7 and one of the lamps exploded. I was afraid! :o It took me an whole year before plugging christmas lights again!  ;D

form109
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 11:55:44 PM » Author: form109
Ever hooked a Christmas lamp up to a 9 volt battery, it's really bright for a few minutes, and then it goes out leaving a nice silvery coating on the glass!  ;D
form109
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 04:31:32 PM » Author: form109
sometimes i hook an incandescent lamp with a broken filiment up to a microwave oven transfromer its fun to watch the orange and bluesih glow,i usually let it run until the filiment is vaporized down to the lead wires,that leaves a nice silvereish coating on the bulb!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies