Author Topic: Ballast in arms getting rare here  (Read 1351 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Ballast in arms getting rare here « on: April 09, 2019, 10:54:12 PM » Author: Cole D.
So ballast in arm fixtures are starting to get rare in my area just in the last year or two. My co-op is the only one that really used them here. And they had AEL 165 fixtures in HPS and GE Powr/Brackets in 400W MV. The GE Powr/Brackets, I don't believe any are in use anymore. There are a few inactive rental ones left up. But last weekend I noticed one had been replaced with an LED. And awhile ago another one had been removed completely pole and all. So I only know of two, one in a small cove and one is in a field next to an old barn and has been overgrown with vines. There may be one other left in a street, possibly. That's all I know of.

The AEL 165s were a little more common but since they stopped relamping HPS rentals and replacing with LEDs, several have been replaced with LEDs in the last year or so. A few still work and there are a few inactive ones left up.

But yeah, all in all the ballast in arms, which were my favorite lights when I was younger are getting replaced. I was really bummed about that one Powr/Bracket getting replaced, since that very one was what got me started on liking lights. It was the only one I ever saw as a kid and I loved the look of the big refractor. Plus I got to see it one night, when it was still in use and it was greened out and I thought it was really cool looking. I thought it would be safe as it had been shut off for years, but I guess someone wanted a light again, so the co-op put an LED instead of reusing it.

Also my elementary school had AEL 165s at the entrances so I liked them too. All but one there have been replaced with HPS NEMAs or LEDs in the last 10 years and the remaining one doesn't work.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Ballast in arms getting rare here « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 11:13:12 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Can you ask them, if they can give you a ballast in arm fixture?

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Ballast in arms getting rare here « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 11:23:19 PM » Author: Cole D.
Can you ask them, if they can give you a ballast in arm fixture?

I emailed them last summer, with pictures of the two models and said I was interested in any they replace. They replied to call them, so I thought I was getting somewhere. But when they called me back, they just said that they scrap them out. I didn't push the issue, but they didn't seem too interested in letting me have one. They just said if they replace them, they aren't any good. But most likely, they probably just need a new bulb I would think.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies