Author Topic: Help needed with power supply lighthouse lamp  (Read 1178 times)
Citro

View Posts
View Gallery

Help needed with power supply lighthouse lamp « on: April 10, 2019, 04:30:27 PM » Author: Citro
Hey guys!

Recently I got an old lighthouse bulb which is called a 'Brandarislamp' here in the Netherlands
The type is a Philips 7504K, they were made to be powered by 70v and draw 60 amps, I hooked it up to a old PC PSU.
I started by using the 5v line from the supply, after a few minutes the filament lit up very little, then I connected the 12v line and there was some light, but a little bit dim. (just enough for me tough.)
I also tried to power it inmediately with the 12v when the filament was cold, but that tripped the automatic fuse inside the PSU.

After a while my PSU got too hot (the fan wasn't turning..) and it died...

What I want to do is make a new PSU for the lamp, so I can use it as a dim light, So I am wondering if someone could help me out with an idea for a power supply.
It doesn't have to be very powerfull, but it would be nice if it has some 'oomph' and could provide some decent light.

Also some general info about lighthouse bulbs is welcome!

Here I have some pic's from the bulb with 5v and 12v

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help needed with power supply lighthouse lamp « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 06:39:05 PM » Author: Ash
120/230V to 12VAC transformer of the suitable current rating (take big spares if you dont want it to get hot !) is your best bet : They can take very high momentary overloads, such as when heating up the lamp filament. Do protect the transformer primary with a fuse rated to its nominal current

Switching power supply with very big current rating spare might be able to withstand the cold filament, but if you go this way better use a current limiting supply, such as a LED driver

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help needed with power supply lighthouse lamp « Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 01:44:20 AM » Author: tolivac
Impressive lamp!!Seems like it could have been run from a 70V battery bank power supply.You could run it from a 48-70V battery charger-sometimes you can find those at surplus places.Long long ago a friend of mine and I ran across a huge 12-120VDC tungar bulb battery charger-looks like it came from a gas station.Was running a bi pin 120V incandescent bulb on it.Besides the glow of the lamp we were powering the glow of the tungar tubes was cool as well.The bulb in the pictures made me think of the one that cliff and I ran from the charger.The lamp we ran was 1000W 120V.The bulb came from a large spotlight.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies