Author Topic: What lighting at gyms?  (Read 2744 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
What lighting at gyms? « on: April 20, 2019, 04:45:03 PM » Author: Cole D.
What lighting have you seen at gyms?

I go to Gold's Gym. It has mainly louvered florescents over the gym floor area which has no ceiling. In the drop ceiling areas it has mostly 2X4 and 2X2 fluorescents. The front desk area and some hallways have PL fluorescent cans. There are also some halogen track lighting at the the front area.
The locker room has 2x4 fluorescents, some round enclosed (circline or PL?) vapor proof lights in the shower area and the sauna has some white plastic wall mount fixtures with screw on globes. Over the sinks there are some kind of CFL wall mount fixtures.

On the weekends often times the halogen track lights and PL cans at the front desk are turned off for some reason.

Not sure what the pool area has since I never have gone out there.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 09:36:30 PM » Author: joseph_125
The one I go to has 4 lamps per cross section T8 tandem turrets in continuous rows over the gym floor with 2x4 surface mount fluorescents over the ares with lower ceilings. Shower area has 4' T8 vapour tight lights and the pool has 400w MH wallpacks around the perimeter wall.

There are some surface mounted PL cylinders used mainly for accent lighting.   
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 04:27:17 PM » Author: Ash
At my high school - 400W MH highbays in the main hall, 2x36W (originally 2x40W) FLs in all side rooms - exercise machines, lockers, showers, equipment storage, and narrator's window. Incandescent (later PL) cans in the hallway leading up to the gym and 36W (40W) FL's in the inner corridors

Highbays were i think GE (?)

Fluorescents were M Shaltiel Lighting MS-2, the version of ~1980 (wide body, plunger tube sockets, modern starter sockets between tube ends)
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 05:47:48 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
My local rec center upgraded from MH highbays in the basketball courts to T5 fluorescent.  Much better lighting.  They use MH highbays above the pools, T8 Fluorescents in all the other rooms, and a few MH wall scones/floods.  Some CFL can lights. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 03:24:01 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
My preschool had 400 watt mercury.

My elementary school had mercury and incandescent lights in the gym about 10 MV low bay type fixtures with 400 watt lamps and 6 incandescent fixtures with 500 watt lamps mounted 40 feet up.

My middle school has both HPS and MH lamps. HPS over the bleachers on both sides of the gym. And MH lighting the main activity area. These lights were anywhere from 40 to 60 feet up.

My high-school has T5 highbay fluorescent fixtures in one gym. In the other gym it has 400 watt metal halide.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 11:17:10 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I can't remember what they had for lighting in the gym at school, probably some type of high bay fitting.

When I was working I never used a gym, getting my exercise by walking to and from work. A distance of about 4 and half to five miles a day.

Latterly when I got a bicycle, I cycled to and from work adding in a daily swim of up to a mile. IIRC the pool had HPS high bay fittings.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 11:19:47 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 12:23:03 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I love HPS pool lighting. I wanna go to a poll that has them before they go extinct.

I'm not a person who cares about CRI. I find white lighting rather bland among other things the color of HPS and pool water mixed up is nice.

It's especially cool when you have underwater lights that are white and then HPS highbays. The colors kinda contrast. (if that's the right word)

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 03:25:48 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I love HPS pool lighting. I wanna go to a poll that has them before they go extinct.

I'm not a person who cares about CRI. I find white lighting rather bland among other things the color of HPS and pool water mixed up is nice.

It's especially cool when you have underwater lights that are white and then HPS highbays. The colors kinda contrast. (if that's the right word)
MH Lowbays here.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 12:59:00 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Elementary School #1 - had 2xF96 slimline Louvered fixtures in the Gym
Elementary School #2 - don't remember for sure, but think it had MV fixtures
Jr High School (since renamed Middle School) - had MV fixtures
High School - had MV fixtures

-----

Elementary #1: was remodeled when I was in Jr High, the Louvered fixtures were replaced, but I don't remember with what.
Elementary #2: was brand new when I started there, wouldn't be surprised if the MV been replaced since that was a long time ago.
Jr High: was recently been remodeled when I started (and the building got added to last summer, likely remodeled inside too), wouldn't be surprised if at some point the MV got replaced.
High: Building got a large addon & was totally remodeled the year after I graduated. Again I wouldn't surprised if the MV been replaced, since you're talking a long time ago.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 03:25:46 PM » Author: Cole D.
Update: I go to Planet Fitness now, and it all LED. LED recessed lights in the locker room and restroom and oval LED rings around the mirrors. The gym floor has some kind of LED fixtures with two strips each. Nothing is fluorescent that I can tell.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 04:43:43 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Update: I go to Planet Fitness now, and it all LED. LED recessed lights in the locker room and restroom and oval LED rings around the mirrors. The gym floor has some kind of LED fixtures with two strips each. Nothing is fluorescent that I can tell.
How depressing  :'(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 05:48:55 PM » Author: Cole D.
How depressing  :'(

Yes but that's the difference between my old gym built around 2008 and a new one.  :-\

boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 11:54:23 AM » Author: boiler1011
The gym I go to opened last year and I don't think they have anything but LED in there.
Saqib

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What lighting at gyms? « Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 03:45:54 AM » Author: Saqib
I am not sure about lighting, if i am not wrong then it was linear LED highbays.

What lighting have you seen at gyms?

I go to Gold's Gym. It has mainly louvered florescents over the gym floor area which has no ceiling. In the drop ceiling areas it has mostly 2X4 and 2X2 fluorescents. The front desk area and some hallways have PL fluorescent cans. There are also some halogen track lighting at the the front area.
The locker room has 2x4 fluorescents, some round enclosed (circline or PL?) vapor proof lights in the shower area and the sauna has some white plastic wall mount fixtures with screw on globes. Over the sinks there are some kind of CFL wall mount fixtures.

On the weekends often times the halogen track lights and PL cans at the front desk are turned off for some reason.

Not sure what the pool area has since I never have gone out there.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies