Author Topic: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules  (Read 1604 times)
rjluna2

View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 05:26:52 PM » Author: rjluna2
Cheesy

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

lightinglover8902

View Gallery

Yes. Power distributor:CenterPoint Energy.120V60Hz

GoL UCP_yo1gHzReqS19MjJMXUKg
Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 08:51:53 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
I think the government is BS on this crap with the efficiency regulations of light bulbs.

GE101R

View Gallery

Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 09:10:18 AM » Author: GE101R
Read this at States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules and what do you think?

Many of the ridiculous policies of the previous administration need to be reversed. And another thorn, these silly fuel "cans" that you buy and must play with for 5 minutes to get the fuel to disburse is insane. Try holding up a five gallon jug and having to push the slide in and then up to get the fuel out.
GE101R

View Gallery

Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 09:11:17 AM » Author: GE101R
First, I'm not really surprised by the states that want to do this.

Secondly, the whole "environmental impact" argument I think is really pointless. Modern coal plants are very clean, and they aren't the only source of power these days.
Agreed 100%! The greenies want more money like they squandered in Solyndra.
GE101R

View Gallery

Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 09:13:57 AM » Author: GE101R
Still this is no ground for an incandescent ban.
If energy production from fossil fuels is the problem (as it is presented), it is this production, what should be taxed.
Yes, the electricity will become more expensive, so consumers will have an incentive to invest into reduction of its consumption. The thing is, naturally the main investment (because the money is limited) will go towards the direction yielding most real net savings, so bring the most reduction possible.
Strongly doubt the incandescents will be really the first thing on the list, because the savings there is really marginal.
My guess: Even when lighting eventually became on the top, the result will be mainly elimination of all the strong lighting installed just for fancy look (basically the things ), really using the lights when really needed and only after that incandescents would get replaced by e.g. LED or so.
But till then I guess the main focus will be the HVAC, hot water management and so on, the lighting will come only after that.

Clearly one of the result would be people using less light and so less demand for fancy high cost lamps. And that is, what lobbyist were preventing: There would be less revenue in their production. The present direction was aimed to mainly boost the sales of the expensive "energy efficient products", so the makers will make more money. Nobody cared about the environment at all. Irony is, the net result is, the lighting business is taken over by production from countries with mainly cheap labor, pushing the domestic makers out of business at all (a company even with an "US" name I do not consider as "US" when they do not produce their things in the US).

The same is valid for car fuel efficiency and many other things. The governments are making legislation supposedly "enforcing conservation", but in reality with very marginal real effect.

We have enough oil, natural gas, and coal already found to last the country for 200+ years.
GE101R

View Gallery

Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 09:22:39 AM » Author: GE101R
this greenie load of bull

what government what not controlled is phantom loads
like many things that DC operated have wall warts those consume power at all times even when not in use. then
you got every thing from radio to a stove to have a built in clocks that consume power. what is wrong with battery operated clock that tick over a year on AA battery.  second government is very slow at updating hpw building should be cooled  cooling  and heating is about 2/3 of energy use. Lighting only accounts 5 to 10
percent.  but Me living in south Texas half way into may
I have not turned on the A/c  out 14 bucks worth of power 138 KWH  used powered my refrigerator,  lights and cell phone.  I am even burning lights 24/7  such as 75 watt slimeline and 65 watf fluorescent .  if i really wanted to i can knock that power down  to few KWH from solar power up on future install.   you have choice
what to run in your home.  Satilite set top boxes is another rant.  use power all the time when you not watching it . it also screws up the AM radio around the house.  what happen to old stereo equipment that have hard On and Off Switch?  it is sad that my water bill is higher than my electric bill!.

The environmentalists rant about creosote power poles but they pass on the arsenic preservative based green poles that are being installed. A creosote pole can last over fifty years and more and it outlasts the green poles 2-1. But cutting down trees required for the green poles every 25-30 years is perfectly alright with the greenie mindless and the arsenic that seeps into the ground is not as bad as the creosote?   

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:24:53 AM by GE101R » Logged
Lumex120

View Gallery

105555521242365640724 UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg zfarmadillo
Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 09:24:09 AM » Author: Lumex120
Many of the ridiculous policies of the previous administration need to be reversed. And another thorn, these silly fuel "cans" that you buy and must play with for 5 minutes to get the fuel to disburse is insane. Try holding up a five gallon jug and having to push the slide in and then up to get the fuel out.
Oh yeah those new fuel cans are horrible. I have an old one that just has a cap you pop off and then the gas pours out really fast without "glugging".

Also, I too would like to see every single lighting restriction from the past 15 years or so be completely removed. I know it wouldn't cause mercury fixtures to be made again and all that, but it would at least make it legal to sell reproduction mercury vapor ballasts (something I'd like to do sometime).

Any machine is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough.

GE101R

View Gallery

Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 09:29:02 AM » Author: GE101R
Oh yeah those new fuel cans are horrible. I have an old one that just has a cap you pop off and then the gas pours out really fast without "glugging".

Also, I too would like to see every single lighting restriction from the past 15 years or so be completely removed. I know it wouldn't cause mercury fixtures to be made again and all that, but it would at least make it legal to sell reproduction mercury vapor ballasts (something I'd like to do sometime).

100% agreed. Look at some of the overseas (guess who) electrical crappola that is being imported to help sustain the 327 billion dollar trade deficit. UL was once required to be on any electrical apparatus sold in the USA. People pay for this junk and it last a few years at best and they must buy another or get smarter and NOT. Look at the money wasted if they had just bought a good ole USA made electrical fixture with the Underwriters Labs (UL) approval tag?
GE101R

View Gallery

Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 09:44:51 AM » Author: GE101R
Cheesy

Agreed! Remember when the US electrical apparatus were required to have the UL rating on it?
Fluorescent05

View Gallery

Zack

Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #24 on: June 06, 2019, 06:21:48 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
The less government intervention and regulation, the better..
I totally agree with that statement!!!

Don't be fooLED, T8 IS the worst thing to do to a magnetic T12 fixture.

CEB1993

View Gallery

Camden

Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 07:23:58 PM » Author: CEB1993
This is such encouraging news!  I don't think incandescents can ever have a perfect replacement.  LED's are great for energy savings, automotive applications, and smart controls.  I don't think incandescents will ever fully disappear because of special applications such as appliance lights and heat lamps.  I'm all for what's going on with the repeal of the light bulb rules.  In general, I think the less government regulation, the better.  The regulation of light bulbs is micromanagement in my book, forcing consumers to buy more expensive products and taking away choices. 

LEDs and CFLs are not a perfect solution to environmentally friendly lighting solutions.  The incandescent light bulb is a relatively simple device that is easy to manufacture and does not contain any harmful materials.  CFLs contain mercury and require much more energy to manufacture, so it seems like the environment still takes a hit with them.  I never liked the idea of mercury-filled lights in my house that could break and endanger me or my surroundings.  LEDs are much better than CFLs in terms of light quality and the lack of toxic materials.  However, LEDs are ultimately harming large lighting companies due to their extremely long life ratings.  Consumers aren't buying as many replacement LED lamps and thus lighting companies are losing money.  The "big three" has recently sold off the less lucrative lighting divisions.  GE has sold their lighting division to Tungsram, Sylvania has been partnered with Ledvance, and Philips has changed the name of the lighting division to Signify.  It's turbulent yet exciting times in the lighting industry these days, and I hope manufacturing will begin moving out of China and back to the USA. 

Being from South Carolina, a solid "red" state, I'm sure we will see the benefits of this repeal in a few stores here soon.  I'm excited about the chance to see good old fashioned incandescents showing up again at my usual shopping spots!

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

tolivac

View Gallery

Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 12:57:59 AM » Author: tolivac
The actual life of LED lamps is still unknown-haven't been out there long enough to judge.The LED bulbs I have purchased-GE,Sylvania-have been JUNK and some have failed within a few days of installation---One Sylvania bulb made a loud BRRRRR____AAAP!!!BLOP!!then the smoke came out never to light again.Now,some Kichner lamps I bought a few years ago from LOWERS are still working just fine.Lowes no longer sell those bulbs--Whats up here???With the quality of many LED and even CFL lamps out there I would much rather have a Quality US made incandescent bulb anyday-at least you knew how long they would last-were cheap to replace and no hazardous materials in them.Those would light for at least several months before silently going out.
Fluorescent05

View Gallery

Zack

Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #27 on: June 08, 2019, 08:52:57 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
Does this include the magnetic ballast ban?

Don't be fooLED, T8 IS the worst thing to do to a magnetic T12 fixture.

lightinglover8902

View Gallery

Yes. Power distributor:CenterPoint Energy.120V60Hz

GoL UCP_yo1gHzReqS19MjJMXUKg
Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #28 on: June 08, 2019, 09:38:39 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Look, all I know is that the liberal Democrats, is more focused on climate change... And banning lamps, ballasts, and fixtures such as incandescents, HIDs and fluorescents and banning all fossil fuels is not gonna solve for climate change... You cannot stop climate change. And establishing a Green New Deal (Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's plan) is also NOT gonna solve for climate change either..... Most of our power is generated by coal, natural gas and fossil fuels. But a small portion of it is solar, wind, and hydroelectric power. And banning fossil fuels is gonna lose TONS of jobs, and factories....

Plus, fixtures, and lamps are made from factories, including LED fixtures and bulbs are also made from factories....

This is why that I'm starting to go to ReStores to get every fixture, gear, and bulbs. Because if the next president is a liberal democrat, like Beto O'Rourke, or Elizabeth Warren, they'll start banning stuff....

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:45:18 AM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

FGS

View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: States fight Trump rollback of Obama lightbulb rules « Reply #29 on: June 08, 2019, 07:25:01 PM » Author: FGS
Look, all I know is that the liberal Democrats, is more focused on climate change... And banning lamps, ballasts, and fixtures such as incandescents, HIDs and fluorescents and banning all fossil fuels is not gonna solve for climate change... You cannot stop climate change. And establishing a Green New Deal (Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's plan) is also NOT gonna solve for climate change either..... Most of our power is generated by coal, natural gas and fossil fuels. But a small portion of it is solar, wind, and hydroelectric power. And banning fossil fuels is gonna lose TONS of jobs, and factories....

How is banning fossil fuels gonna cause job losses? Do solar, wind, and other green energy sources build, wire, and maintain themselves? Do those sources appear out of thin air without any factories and such? Is the beloved “clean” fossil fuels infinite and will never ever run out for centuries?

Banning them won’t mean job losses. Green energy sources will need to be build, wired up to utilities, and maintained/repaired as needed. For that, they’ll need people. Not to mention old fossil fuel sources needing to be decommissioned, dismantled, and site cleaned up so people can get parks and such in place.

For hardware for green energy sources we’d need factories to build them, hence the need for people. Not to mention transport to ship those parts to where they’re needed. Truckers are needed.

Fossil fuels like coal, oil, and gas are finite and they’ll run out sooner or later. The bigger the green energy source slice of the pie of all energy sources and the smaller the fossil fuel energy sources the better. The time fossil fuel will run out would be pushed up into the future, instead of 2030s, it’s possible it’ll be 2080s if not beyond.

Sun, wind, and so on are nearly infinite. We don’t need to worry about running out of them.

I rather live in a clean earth not a smoggy one. I want to leave this world cleaner than when I was born into. I’m sure many of you want the same. Leaving a clean world for our descendants not a ruined one. Wink

This is not liberal/conservative nor is it political. It’s called being caring for the one and only home Earth.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Print 
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines