Author Topic: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine  (Read 4102 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « on: May 24, 2019, 11:41:42 AM » Author: dor123
When I entered to Whirlpool USA website, it turned me out the reason why most American cloths drivers have their controller at the rear part of the device instead at the front part like in the rest part of the world: It turned me out that they are top loaders, what I didn't know until now, since this wasn't mentioned in the past in Whirlpool website, and it looks like they have also a secondary front door, and that the upper door is barely visible compared to top loading washing machine.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 11:26:24 AM » Author: Cole D.
I'm not sure what model it is. But all of the dryers I've ever seen here are front load, whether the controls are at front or back. Some dryers though do have the lint filter at the back top of the unit, where other have it inside the front door.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 12:36:32 PM » Author: dor123
I means something like this .

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 01:10:37 PM » Author: Cole D.
Those are all front loading units. I don't know why Whirlpool says they're top loading, unless they mean they match with a top load washer. The dryers that go with front load washers are usually taller and have the controls at the front.

A top load dryer wouldn't work, because the drum spins horizontally.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 12:43:30 AM » Author: tolivac
Fisher Paykel makes a TL dryer-you load or unload the drum thru matching doors on the drum and top of the dryer.Cylinder washers have been made this way,too.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 07:37:36 PM » Author: icefoglights
Although there are top loading dryers, they are very uncommon.  However, top loading washers are very common here, and the dryers are often designed as a matching set, so the controls would me mounted at the back, just like the matching washer.  In the set we had when I was growing up, the dryer's lint trap did slide out of the top.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 09:37:45 PM » Author: FGS
There are dryers with a top load section. But the top part is much smaller and meant for sensitive clothes or your favorite pants you just washed on the matching washer that has the same thing. No reason to use the bigger capacity front load drums. Too much water and electricity/gas wasted just for one article of clothes.

https://tinyurl.com/y69gtmh6
I’m sure other brands has similar ones.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 08:22:01 AM » Author: dor123
Bumping this topic, as I'm reached conclusion that the reason why the American dryers have their controller at the rear of the machine, like all American appliances, is to prevent children to operate these machines.
European appliance don't have such child safety lock features like this.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 09:28:45 AM » Author: Rommie
Actually, modern ones do have programmable child locks. Here is one manufacturer's description of the system they use.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 01:34:03 PM » Author: Ash
Dor your generalizations never cease to amaze me. All American dryers, etc. etc....

I really wonder how my generation and all older ones survived childhood with typical European appliances with accessible knobs and no special child safety features ?
Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 11:06:04 AM » Author: Xytrell
Yes, and the staunch positions on a foreign design have switched several times now  :wndr:

Since these appliances are barely taller than a meter, having the controls on a bevel in the back is more ergonomic than leaning/looking down. It also makes sense to have the controls next to the heating element to minimize wiring and wiring losses. Maybe this isn't the primary reason, but it's a thought. There are still plenty of designs with controls on the front, but that is more common with electronically controlled or stackable systems.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 12:26:07 PM » Author: Rommie
I may be wrong, as it's been a while since I've been over to the States, but don't American washers tend to be top loaders..? If so, it makes sense for the controls to be at the back. Ours here are mainly front loaders so the controls are on the front so that the machine can fit under a counter top, which is the usual arrangement.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 01:11:45 PM » Author: Medved
Ours here are mainly front loaders so the controls are on the front so that the machine can fit under a counter top, which is the usual arrangement.

Or are stacked with the dryer on the top of each other, again impossible with toploaders or with the controls at the back.

And the toploaders sold here (popular mainly in small appartments with little room in the bathroom) have their control on their back as well.

No more selfballasted c***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the mac « Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 01:27:24 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: sox35
I may be wrong, as it's been a while since I've been over to the States, but don't American washers tend to be top loaders..?
These days both top & front load are readily available in any store that sells appliances. Front load tends to be more expensive though.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Discovered why American dryers have their controllier at the rear of the machine « Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 01:35:33 PM » Author: Rommie
We used to have top loaders here many years ago, but other than industrial types (and even those tend to be front load now) they've all but disappeared. As for dryers, if they're separate from the washer as opposed to a combined washer/dryer, then they tend to be stood side by side rather than on top of one another. We don't have room for two units so at the moment we only have a washing machine, but it's on its last legs (no shame to it, it's done 20 years..!) we're planning on getting a washer/dryer.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies