Author Topic: Automotive Light Bulbs  (Read 1493 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Automotive Light Bulbs « on: June 04, 2019, 10:42:35 PM » Author: CEB1993
Hi everyone, I have some interesting observations on automotive light bulbs and their regions of manufacture.

The three main countries most cars are from are the USA, Germany, and Japan. Basically, North America, Europe, and Asia.

I noticed today that a  Sylvania 192 incandescent light for the trunk of my Subaru (Japanese brand) was made in Italy. I would have thought bulbs for Japanese, Korean, etc. cars would be made in Japan, China, Taiwan etc. The Subaru also uses Slovakian made reverse light bulbs. Interesting how many automotive light bulbs are made in Europe.

My old VW Jetta used light bulbs from Italy, Hungary, Slovakia, and Germany. I remember trying some amber blinker bulbs from China, and they didn’t fit quite right and i had to return them.

I generally expect American cars (Ford, GM, Chrysler) to use USA made light bulbs. German cars (Volkswagen, BMW, etc) usually use the European made bulbs. Japanese cars (Subaru, Lexus, etc) are an interesting mix of European, Asian, and even American made bulbs.

Sylvania makes automotive incandescent and LED lamps in the following countries: China, Taiwan, Thailand, Japan, Slovakia, Italy, Germany, and USA.  Has anyone else noticed any patterns with car brands and their lighting products?

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Automotive Light Bulbs « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 11:41:07 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
When I worked in a body shop years ago, Ford used nothing but Sylvania (still do), Chrysler seemed to use primarily Phillips and GM used their own "Guide" brand lights,I believe they were rebranded tung-sol bulbs

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Automotive Light Bulbs « Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 08:42:35 PM » Author: CEB1993
When I worked in a body shop years ago, Ford used nothing but Sylvania (still do), Chrysler seemed to use primarily Phillips and GM used their own "Guide" brand lights,I believe they were rebranded tung-sol bulbs

That's interesting.  Sounds like GM was doing some cost cutting by not using a big 3 lighting brand.  From my experience, Volkswagen uses Wagner brand headlight bulbs as OEM, and Subaru uses Sylvania brand headlight bulbs as OEM.  Sylvania definitely seems tailored toward American cars, or import cars that are assembled in the USA. 

I typically like Philips as a household lighting brand, but almost all of their non-headlight automotive light bulbs are made in China and don't seem to be as high quality as the Sylvanias, which are made in many other countries.  The Philips headlights are made in Germany or Poland, and are just as good or better than the excellent Sylvania Silverstar Ultras.  I currently have 9003 Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in the VW Jetta, and 9005 Philips Xtremevisions in the Subaru Legacy.  Both sets of lights are excellent and provide twice as much light as OEM, and both are made in Germany. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Automotive Light Bulbs « Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 10:12:10 PM » Author: takemorepills
When I would have to replace wedge base bulbs in my 1986 Prelude, the OEM's were Japan made Toshiba.
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Automotive Light Bulbs « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:00 PM » Author: CEB1993
When I would have to replace wedge base bulbs in my 1986 Prelude, the OEM's were Japan made Toshiba.

I guess Toshiba has been making light bulbs for many years.  The OEM's in the interior of my Subaru were Toshiba 3175's.  I replaced them with Sylvania Super Bright LED's about a month ago.

Stop the lamp bans!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Automotive Light Bulbs « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 11:20:52 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000

Don't forget about the other bulb commonly found in Japanese cars, Koito !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies